Memorizing stuff now?

browndude

At the hub that I am at they are actually requiring us to memorize the 8 keys to lifting and lower, 5 keys to preventing slips and falls and the 8 yard control keys in 2 weeks or else you can be terminated. Is that happening anywhere else?I know the first tow are necessary but yard control keys for a guy that loads pacakages is kind of unnecessary right?

they tried that here but they couldn't fire all of us! we asked them how they wanted us to code that time spent learning it and they said it was unpaid so we then called the union and had them tell the ctr that they can't instruct us to work off the clock.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Maybe management should memorize the contract and be expected to be quizzed on it once a week? Plenty of them need it anyway.

I absolutely agree!!
Problem being, I'm not sure they haven't already.
Here our members don't know the contract or won't step up to enforce it.
Until we come together as a whole as a union is designed, and enforce the contract, it will continue to be significantly weaken.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Memorizing anything is too risky. (Except address and phone # :happy-very:)
"I don't know off hand, but I know where to get the most current information" is the phrase that everyone needs to memorize.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Memorizing anything is too risky. (Except address and phone # :happy-very:)
"I don't know off hand, but I know where to get the most current information" is the phrase that everyone needs to memorize.

Giving this answer during an audit will earn you some one-on-one time with your mgt team.

UPSF Peeon

aim high in steering (whatever that means)
get the big picture (unless your stug, then dont take any pictures at all)
keep your eyes moving (use of your neck is optional)
leave yourself an out (if you want to call in sick on tuesday make sure you complain of a sore throat on monday)
make sure they see you (that is, make sure management sees you when you are wearing your safety vest and using 3 points of contact)

whiskey

The flip side is fallen center manager's traveling from barn to barn, memorizing the location of fire exits.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
At the hub that I am at they are actually requiring us to memorize the 8 keys to lifting and lower, 5 keys to preventing slips and falls and the 8 yard control keys in 2 weeks or else you can be terminated. Is that happening anywhere else?I know the first tow are necessary but yard control keys for a guy that loads pacakages is kind of unnecessary right?
Need to know, but you won't be terminated.

How are they telling you to come by this knowledge?
Certainly they don't expect you to learn it on your own time.
Insist that you be given time, on the clock, to learn these items.
How long that takes, is an individual thing.
Absolutely, afterall, not everyone here is like Upstate! (Yes, that was a shot!)

I don't see the problem in being asked to know standard safety information. I don't consider myself a huge company guy but if someone has an issue remembering the 8's and 5's then they should study harder. These things aren't complicated....
Some people have trouble with memorization skills, especially when put on the spot. What's easy for you may not be easy for them.

Our building is also doing this by bringing people in fifteen min early. They gave us a pamphlet to study and said we had a certain number of tries to get it right or we're terminated.

It wasn't hard to memorize the yard keys and the others I already knew so no big deal. They did throw in a few questions about exiting pkg cars, where to set pkgs in back, use the handrail and so forth but the answers are in the pamphlet.
Flavor of the month.

And, NO, you will not be terminated. Intimidated, yes. Terminated, NO! It's been tried and failed.
+1
God, I hate stories like that. It's a poor manager who has to threaten termination to try to get his employees to learn this dribble.

And I'm with Race. They'll whine and cry and throw tantrums and threaten termination..... but you won't get fired as long as you make an effort.
Race? I just glanced at the avatar and thought it was a post from Rocketman. I was in shock that it was so clear, until I read your post.:happy2:

Maybe management should memorize the contract and be expected to be quizzed on it once a week? Plenty of them need it anyway.
+1

They tried to discipliine people in our building for not knowing the drivel. It went no where, as long as you are not being a smart ass or refusing alltogether. Also I never, ever look at that crap off the clock. I am not in school, you want me to learn something, PAY ME FOR IT!!!!!!!
+1

I learned (learned) the ABC's on my owntime.

Isn't this the same?

Why should a person have to learn this only on Company Time?
Because it's part of the job.

We are required to know this for work. They need to pay us for learning it.
+1

Because it's company drivel. I don't need it to function in everyday life outside of UPS.
The first part is true, but the second part is not necessarily so. You actually use the 5 seeing habits and 10 point commentary in your everyday life. It's why we stay alive when we drive our personal vehicles. The 8 keys to lifting/lowering and slips and falls stuff is also used, if you think about this honestly.

OK, for me the drivel wasn't a problem. However, they have come up with yet another new one. Last week my pt gave me a paper with all the injuries I'vehad over the years. Seventeen years in and I've had 5 or 6 of them. One was a shoulder surgery but the rest were very minor and required a few days of light duty or a rib belt. I thanked him for the paper and pitched it later.

Yesterday he came up with another copy of that paper and asked me to sign it. I just laughed at that one and told him no way. Looks as if they are trying to make us sign to prove we know the safety stuff and sign that we've had injuries. hm.. They're up to something again.
Same here, dill. The problem with this report is that MOST UPS workers don't report strains/sprains or "minor" tweaks. So the ones that do report them get a slap in the face and the ones that don't, can't ever file a comp claim, because they can't say that their injury happened so many months or years ago, when reporting the injury. Take my advice, it's better to have something on record, than to let it fall by the wayside making retirement seem bleak.

You think that’s bad? Eventually, they’re going to ask you to memorize ALL of the zip codes your center handles locally, and some that are even out of state (the outbounds), no matter what you’re doing (load/unload) but especially if you are put on sorting detail. And, they’ll only be raising you $1.00 for those 40 – 60+ zips and the brain cells “wasted” on storing them long-term, and on YOUR OWN time.

Those couple little memorizations of the key safety habits and procedures are going to seem like a cakewalk at that point. And if you ever manage to make it to Driver, well guess what? There’s hundreds more things you’ll be expected to learn and know within a split second, and the OJS will be asking you every single one of them during your training and while you’re trying to focus on the road and your next few stops, so you’d better get the basics down quick.

For the immediate term, I’d suggest you get an area map from one of your management or sups which specifies the entire center’s radius complete with all zip codes and start cracking at them now, in addition to all of their "safety drivel" (which is really in your best interest to know, because it won't be their ass getting busted up for not knowing and following them, but yours). Oh – and by the way, they’ll also be asking you to memorize streets in addition to the zips, or at least this is what I was told would be required at my center.

Good luck!
LOL, forget your medication this morning?:wink2:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The first part is true, but the second part is not necessarily so. You actually use the 5 seeing habits and 10 point commentary in your everyday life. It's why we stay alive when we drive our personal vehicles. The 8 keys to lifting/lowering and slips and falls stuff is also used, if you think about this honestly.

Another name for those things is common sense.
That may be why the company's assumption that we don't have any, puts many of us on guard.

hoffa1975

chk north endzone
study harder???? ****************!! nobody has to memorize nuthin. gotta have time on the clock 2 STUDY. go get a steward that knows what is going on and dont listen to *********s like this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

hoffa1975

chk north endzone
They tried to discipliine people in our building for not knowing the drivel. It went no where, as long as you are not being a smart ass or refusing alltogether. Also I never, ever look at that crap off the clock. I am not in school, you want me to learn something, PAY ME FOR IT!!!!!!!

right on, bro.