Mercedes Benz Sprinter

Goldilocks

I hear you man on that turning radius. You used to make the turn around in a cul-de-sac with the 700 no problem, now....anybody mentioned the 12 volt hookup under the "pull out ashtray? Great to plug your phone or radio in.

The turning radius is terrible. But let me ask you, why does Fedex have to use retreads? They are so dangerous. I was driving 55 during a rainstorm and hydroplained into a guardrail. Did a 380 on a highway. I just lost total control of the truck. The state patrol helped me and told me that it was the retreads. He did not ticket me for destroying the guardrail.

Necropostophiliac

The turning radius is terrible. But let me ask you, why does Fedex have to use retreads? They are so dangerous. I was driving 55 during a rainstorm and hydroplained into a guardrail. Did a 380 on a highway. I just lost total control of the truck. The state patrol helped me and told me that it was the retreads. He did not ticket me for destroying the guardrail.

I am so glad you were not hurt.
I have never trusted retreads.

The tire lobby and manufactures of "retreads" will argue, but I have seen too many failures myself.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Retreads are cheaper, and money is the only thing that matters at FedEx. For a long time, retreads were not allowed on delivery vehicles. They still aren't allowed on CTVs' on steer tires. Drive tires are OK. It's all about the money...not your safety.

STFXG

Retreads are perfectly safe as long as you're running the correct tire pressure. Plenty of studies out there proving they are just as safe as new tires when used correctly.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Retreads are perfectly safe as long as you're running the correct tire pressure. Plenty of studies out there proving they are just as safe as new tires when used correctly.
That would require the mechanic to check the tire pressure, as opposed to sniffing paint. If you get a scratch on a truck, he's on it!!!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Sure they are. That's why the freeways are full of blown truck tires.

I'll never forget the day I returned from a route with really bad brakes, so I wrote the truck up and left it in front of the mechanics bays. After checking out, realized I'd forgotten my jacket and went back to get it, but a PM courier had already taken the truck and left, even though I had written it up! Lack of trucks has always been a problem here, but that truck was plain dangerous.

I have seen that more than once. Truck ends up towed back in and nothing is done to the idiot who took it out the second time.

Cost cost cost. And stupid upper mgmt in vmx. I dont mind using retreads on the rear but I really hate putting them on the front. We always balance ours but they take so much to balance out. Plus we have changed vendors to Michelin retreads and they are horrible.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Just another example of a poor decision by upper management...to invest in a fleet of Sprinters. When we got the first generation models, they were so bad that the station had to be within 25 miles of an authorized Freightliner/Dodge/Sprinter dealer. Besides the many problems mentioned already, how about high-speed stability when there is a crosswind and/or highway grooves or heavy wear patterns in the pavement? Sprinters bob and weave like Ali, except it's not a good thing when you're driving.

They are pure crap. Expensive crap...but still crap.

One of my former teammate's had his Sh*&ter roll over going 10mph around a corner when a wind gust broadsided it....guess who was blamed? The funny thing was there was a Texas DPS Trooper behind him and caught it all on his dashcam, and the Trooper's report said "no at fault". Really got to love how Uncle Fredward supports his employees.

Goldilocks

Cost cost cost. And stupid upper mgmt in vmx. I dont mind using retreads on the rear but I really hate putting them on the front. We always balance ours but they take so much to balance out. Plus we have changed vendors to Michelin retreads and they are horrible.

Let me ask you. What do you think of the new sprinters, maintaince and all? Great to have a Fedex Mechanic on board. I hate putting in that DEF.

STFXG

Def only needs to be filled every 10000 miles... 5 gallons. Btw you have 6 gallons of fuel left when the fuel light comes on. Or an extra 100 miles. Fwiw

Let me ask you. What do you think of the new sprinters, maintaince and all? Great to have a Fedex Mechanic on board. I hate putting in that DEF.

Great fuel mileage. Cost per mile is all corp looks at. They dont take into account the repair nightmare these will be when they have a feww hundred thousand miles on them. For diesel , def is here to stay. They are looking at more gas vehicles because of cost and volume. Maintenance wise I have seen alot of broken side door handles, and broken off bulkhead door keys, I absolutely hate all the warning lamps on the dash. It's European....ehk. they always over engineer and make it tough for diagnosing.

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
I don't think they will keep these for more than 200,000 miles. I think these are "throw away vehicles".

Glorifiedpackmule

Would it be safe to assume that UPS uses a different Philosophy when it comes to their vehicles. When I was over there we had package cars pushing 20 years old. They weren't pretty but they ran well enough. Seems like FedEx buys a lot of vehicles that get thrown away after a few years and a few hundred thousand miles.