Message to all you runners!

brown_trousers

Anytime these guys want to compare W2's, I'm game. I'd rather work 10 hours getting 90k instead of 7 at 65k any day.

really?... I'd much rather work 7 hrs at $65k and actually have that time available for family activities and soccer games, than work 10 hour days and make it home every day of my life, just in time to eat dinner and then go to sleep.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Anytime these guys want to compare W2's, I'm game. I'd rather work 10 hours getting 90k instead of 7 at 65k any day.

really?... I'd much rather work 7 hrs at $65k and actually have that time available for family activities and soccer games, than work 10 hour days and make it home every day of my life, just in time to eat dinner and then go to sleep.

I'm here to make money. Lots of it. If someone wants a 40 hour a week job your in the wrong place. I realize many people didn't understand what they were getting themselves into.

they keep changing the rules on us. I remember the days when we got in trouble for going over 45 hours a week!!now they want 55 or 60,,,Its like playing Monopoly with a 2 year old. Everytime you pass go the rules change!!!

some1else

Banned
You only need 1800 hours a year for full Pension credit that works out to 34.6 hours a week.
Thats how ours works too. So a runner who punches out at 7hrs will average 35hours. That is cutting it close. We have had several people have to work an extra year due to not having as many years as service as they should becuase of missing the hour requirement. Most of them due to taking excessive numbers of "reauest off" (days off without pay) but a few bonus runners had to work an extra 1-2 years to get to their pensions!

brown_trousers

I'm here to make money. Lots of it. If someone wants a 40 hour a week job your in the wrong place. I realize many people didn't understand what they were getting themselves into.

That's ok. Everyone has different values in life. But if there's an option like you mentioned of 7 hrs a day and $65k a year.... I'm onboard!

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I don't worry too much about runners. If it comes up in conversation or someone asks me my advice I'll always tell people to take their lunch and breaks, but ultimately these are grown men and women and how they choose to do their jobs is really between them and their employer.

Dir Sir,, i owe you a drink,, well said

U

uber

I understand your point except, their job is also under a contractual obligation to take a lunch. It also effects the driver that have their routes covered by these runners. I deal with it daily.

BOSS-"Why are you an hour paid over everyday but Mr. Run-zio is always scratch?"

DRIVER-"Because he skates his lunch?"

BOSS- "That's irrelevant."

ME (steward)-"Your ignorance to this situation concerning your unequal treatment of your employees is very relevant."

This is verbatim of a conversation I dealt with last week. It's also managements RESPONSIBILITY to ensure safe work practices. One of those being nutrition and rest.

Your numbers are adjusted when you take a lunch. Actually a lunch helps your numbers. Or are you saying they're entering the lunch in but not taking one?

browniehound

I'd hate to make a religious post, but instead of giving up something for lent such as meat, smoking, chocolate and all that other boshat, why don't all the runners take their lunch for 40 days?

How about you focus on your own life and own route at UPS for 40 days instead of worrying about other people's lives and business. Why do you care what other people do at UPS? I know I could care less about what another employee does. My world at UPS is simplified to one action. Follow the methods. Everything else is cream cheese. Who gives two flying saucers if joe balloon is 2 hours paid under. I certainly dont. Not my problem. Its Joe Balloon's.

browniehound

It's not a choice with most other places. Lunch is not paid BUT it is subtracted from your time with the intent that you follow the contract and take your hour lunch. So if drivers worked 9am-7pm even though that's 10 hours your only getting paid 9. So let's use the runner example, if the runner doesn't take the lunch he would get done at 6pm BUT an hour still needs to get subtracted. So even though he does 9 hours of work, he gets paid for 8. 32 bucks at time and a half x 5 = 240 a week x 52 week = 12,480 per year x 30 years at a stale wage = $374,400.00

That's the runner's problem not yours. Why do you care that he is giving up a small fortune?

browniehound

I don't worry too much about runners. If it comes up in conversation or someone asks me my advice I'll always tell people to take their lunch and breaks, but ultimately these are grown men and women and how they choose to do their jobs is really between them and their employer.

Hit the nail on the head here. At least thats my opinion.

browniehound

I understand your point except, their job is also under a contractual obligation to take a lunch. It also effects the driver that have their routes covered by these runners. I deal with it daily.

BOSS-"Why are you an hour paid over everyday but Mr. Run-zio is always scratch?"

DRIVER-"Because he skates his lunch?"

BOSS- "That's irrelevant."

ME (steward)-"Your ignorance to this situation concerning your unequal treatment of your employees is very relevant."

This is verbatim of a conversation I dealt with last week. It's also managements RESPONSIBILITY to ensure safe work practices. One of those being nutrition and rest.

I think its "affect" and does it really though? So you had a conversation with your boss. So what? As long as you're hitting you your OJS number, who cares? Do your job and follow the methods. You will live longer.

browniehound

What if they are punching out under 8 and collecting there guaranteed 8. Um didn't think of that did you . Even bot working any ot you would still bring home $65,000 +.

That is the only time you should ever not take lunch and put it in the board. The problem is its very difficult to empty that package car and get back to the building in 7 hours. I've only been able to do it a handfull of times in 14 years.

blue efficacy

What they don't understand is how we make over $300,000 more than them over the course of our careers. "Hey honey, sorry I could never buy you a house. But at least I'm home an hour earlier than Brownslave and Stink!"
I pity the driver who has a wife that would rather have him bring home 300K over DECADES than spend another hour EVERY DAY with the family.
That adds up to thousands of hours over the years. We only have a set amount of time on this planet.

brown_trousers

I pity the driver who has a wife that would rather have him bring home 300K over DECADES than spend another hour EVERY DAY with the family.
That adds up to thousands of hours over the years. We only have a set amount of time on this planet.

Not to mention its more like 2-3 extra hours a day. But I wont stand in judgement of others over their family values. Its for each man to decide for himself. Although I bet their love for money may change one day, when they're laying in their death bed reflecting on the life they had, or lack thereof.

A

anonymous6

I'd hate to make a religious post, but instead of giving up something for lent such as meat, smoking, chocolate and all that other boshat, why don't all the runners take their lunch for 40 days?

you're preaching to the choir. runners don't come on here. can't read while running.

some1else

Banned
Not to mention its more like 2-3 extra hours a day. But I wont stand in judgement of others over their family values. Its for each man to decide for himself. Although I bet their love for money may change one day, when they're laying in their death bed reflecting on the life they had, or lack thereof.
I look at it differently. Id much rather work 16-17 11 hour days a month (175ish hours) than work 20x8hours for 160hours. That way i spend an extra 3-4 days a month at home.

I understand that different buildings operate differently. We have regular full time drivers that are bid as "cover". So we ideally have 100 some full time drivers for 80 routes. If they are light on call ins/vacation/personalls they let drivers go home in senority order "request off"

currently we are understaffed but most of the year i can get 2-3 mondays off per month for nice 3 day weekends and still make 85 a year. I need to look it up but last year i was 90 and took all vacation, 5 sick, 5 personal, and around 10 "request off"

id much rather have a whole day off than get home an hour early

S

serenity now

ups is a lot easier to deal with if you take a lesson from the dogs / just live in the moment, baby