Messages for them, not me?

peacock

I recently started asking for print outs of my O.D.S. messages for my personal records at home after my Supervisor claimed (a week later) that I had not notified the center about a "Missed" scan. We are directed to notify the center of any "Service Disconnects" that we may have through out our day. Anyways, I was informed by the local sort p.t. supervisor that the OMS's were not allowed to provide me with print outs of the O.D.S. messages. I just conveniently happened to be informed of this a day after I was called into the Center Managers office and had the O.D.S. messages that showed that I was directed to sheet packages as "Closed" even though the the business had posted hours and weren't open yet.

My question(s) is: Is it true that we're not allowed to have O.D.S. messages printed out for us to have for our records? Secondly, I am directed to use my personal cell phone to call the center at times. Isn't messaging the center acceptable communication? Also, why is it when I mention in our "meetings" something that management has stated incorrectly, thier go to phrase is "I'll have to look into that..."? For example:

Supervisor- "I have to send you a Working Discharge for sheeting (add address & town/city here ) as "missed",

Me-"Well, I can't tell you that you can't (double negative...I know) send me that letter, but you might like to know that on that day I was in (add town/city greater or equal to 30 miles away from town/city you've selected) and I didn't deliver any stops in (re enter first town/city) that day."

Supervisor-"What? Well, I'll have to look into that...", they then turn and walk away.

Guess what the postman still brought me 2 days later? Here's a hint: It was Certified.
How can you not love U.P.S.?

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Does your cell phone have a camera? If it does you can use it to take pictures of incoming ODS messages. You could also take pictures of messages that you send but there is no proof that you actually sent them (i.e. you typed them out, took picture and then deleted them). You are not required to use your cell phone to communicate with the center unless the phone is provided by the company----the DIAD is the preferred means of communication with the center.

Are you cool with your OMS? If so you can ask that person to print out ODS messages for you.

As for the termination paperwork---your shop steward can assist you in have the delivery information printed out to show that you were nowhere near that delivery location on that particular day and the termination will be thrown out.

peacock

Thanks for the reply. As for being "cool" with the OMS, the morning OMS is my wife, so it's kind of 50/50 sometimes. Depends on whether I took that bag of trash out last night or did the dishes. The night OMS in this incident was instructed to not print the messages out for me. She also seemed confused because apparently that was the first time she was directed not to do such a thing. Now, that might mean I'm the only one asking for the print outs.
My steward is, how can I say this nicely, a hammer or a drill or a sawzall. Basically, they are a tool. They sit there, hang their head and say nothing when I get pulled aside or called in the office. Our stewards who actually would stand up for us, one is on a satellite route and the other just retired. Thus, is why I had to start keeping detailed records of my interactions with management. Thanks again.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Thanks for the reply. As for being "cool" with the OMS, the morning OMS is my wife, so it's kind of 50/50 sometimes. Depends on whether I took that bag of trash out last night or did the dishes. The night OMS in this incident was instructed to not print the messages out for me. She also seemed confused because apparently that was the first time she was directed not to do such a thing. Now, that might mean I'm the only one asking for the print outs.
My steward is, how can I say this nicely, a hammer or a drill or a sawzall. Basically, they are a tool. They sit there, hang their head and say nothing when I get pulled aside or called in the office. Our stewards who actually would stand up for us, one is on a satellite route and the other just retired. Thus, is why I had to start keeping detailed records of my interactions with management. Thanks again.
Wow...you just can't take a break from the Mrs. Either way, they aren't required to get you a copy of their messages. Take pictures with your cell and leave the Mrs out of the equation. Too much stress all the way around and that stuff will make it back to the house. Work as directed. Let UPS dig their own grave...they don't need your help doing it. Good luck!

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
If they are required, it would be in your Package Rider. Here in 104 it says:
"Upon request of the Employee, Steward, or Local Union the Company shall provide copies of ODS messages. When such request is made on the same day the transmission(s) took place the operating center shall provide copies of the transmission(s). When such request is made the day after the transmission(s) took place the printed copy of the transmission(s) shall be provided for a period of thirty (30) calender days from the date of transmission by the Company entity that maintains such information database and as such database is implemented. "

Sec 2 PP9

Regardless of such language, the Steward or the Local can request printed copies of the transmission by filing an information request under NRLA rules.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Does your cell phone have a camera? If it does you can use it to take pictures of incoming ODS messages. You could also take pictures of messages that you send but there is no proof that you actually sent them (i.e. you typed them out, took picture and then deleted them). You are not required to use your cell phone to communicate with the center unless the phone is provided by the company----the DIAD is the preferred means of communication with the center.

Are you cool with your OMS? If so you can ask that person to print out ODS messages for you.

As for the termination paperwork---your shop steward can assist you in have the delivery information printed out to show that you were nowhere near that delivery location on that particular day and the termination will be thrown out.

Several problems with this advice,

1) If you have someone print stuff for you after you and them have been instructed not to what will happen if you produce said printed matter in your defense? I will tell you what. You will be terminated for dishonesty and failure to follow instructions, as will the OMS that printed them!

2) I keep seeing people telling folks to take pictures of the messages. I have seen people walked out for taking unauthorized photographs of UPS property. If they decide to push it, you could be putting yourself in harms way.

Use the avenues that are afforded you contractually. Have you steward or business agent put in a written request for the messages if you feel it is something you might need and your local rider does not have language allowing you to request them. Company cannot unreasonably deny the local Unions request for information when a grievance is being investigated.

Actions outside your contract and in direct disobedience of your management team are only asking for trouble.

grgrcr88

A for using the cell phone, don't use it. Simple fix!! If they tell you to call another driver tell them you do not have a phone and will communicate thru the diad. If they tell you to call the center ask for the 800 number to the center and tell them you will call as soon as you can get to a pay phone, if they do not have an 800 number directly to the center call collect to whatever number they tell you to call. If they want to pay for you to have a cell phone for company use then they can tell you to use it, until then DON'T!!!

bluehdmc

A for using the cell phone, don't use it. Simple fix!! If they tell you to call another driver tell them you do not have a phone and will communicate thru the diad. If they tell you to call the center ask for the 800 number to the center and tell them you will call as soon as you can get to a pay phone, if they do not have an 800 number directly to the center call collect to whatever number they tell you to call. If they want to pay for you to have a cell phone for company use then they can tell you to use it, until then DON'T!!!

I just tell them there is "no phone available." Try finding a payphone!
About the only place I believe you could find one is outside a convienence store in an area with a large immigrant population.
If they were then to ask me to use my cell, I would tell them UPS doesn't pay the bill.

Indecisi0n

They aren't gone I promise u that. Ups doesn't delete anything.

I shouldn't used the word "gone". What I meant was what bumped said, OMS can no longer get them. It's much easier to have them printed that night instead of having to get the union involved. I always take pictures of important message. You can also take a short video to show you sent what you typed.

BrownArmy

...I always take pictures of important message. You can also take a short video to show you sent what you typed.

I'm not sure presenting a 'short' video showing whatever message you've typed is going to help you in whatever case you might think you need that video for...

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
UPS prohibiting photographs inside their facility is one thing, out in public they are just SOL. Stewards always have the right to investigate grievances anywhere and photos/videos can be a part of that. Anything they use on us we can use on them.

Dragon

Package Center Manager

Last time (its been 2 years in my center) i got one of these messages..this is how I replied.

I instruct....(work as directed)

Man, driver couldn't call the center fast enough, we worked it out and everybody went home happy.

S

serenity now

Last time (its been 2 years in my center) i got one of these messages..this is how I replied.

Man, driver couldn't call the center fast enough, we worked it out and everybody went home happy.

.............as long as there was a happy ending :rolleyes2:

grgrcr88

I have no problem calling the center, I am not gonna use my cell phone for this company ever! I will never call another driver or anyone else from my cell phone for this company. I don't care what you instruct me. Good luck prevailing on any sort of discipline in front of a panel based on me refusing to use my cell phone!!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

When I call your bluff and don't call, then what?
Nothing, cause I don't have to use my cell phone to call you.
"I instruct" isn't all inclusive and we aren't all scared.

Now that being said, if it was a reasonable request on a reasonable day, I wouldn't hesitate to call.

grgrcr88

UPS prohibiting photographs inside their facility is one thing, out in public they are just SOL. Stewards always have the right to investigate grievances anywhere and photos/videos can be a part of that. Anything they use on us we can use on them.

That is my point, Stewards have the right. Other employees do not have the same rights and protections Stewards have. Let the Stewards use the avenues allowed them and don't put yourself in harms way!!!