Met an old timer today

moreluck

golden ticket member
Originally Posted by area43
Jesus Christ was never married or had a girl friend.
:
What about that alternative theory where Jesus & Mary Magdalene supposedly had a child?

:confused:

helenofcalifornia

So the guy was lying about being his grandson, huh? Hmmph!!!! I hate liars and thieves. I remember where that guy lived, maybe I will drop by with a "wrong" package and talk to him again. I know, I know, let it go.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
So the guy was lying about being his grandson, huh? Hmmph!!!! I hate liars and thieves. I remember where that guy lived, maybe I will drop by with a "wrong" package and talk to him again. I know, I know, let it go.

Helen, he may have been telling the truth. Old Irish families tended--and some still do--have a lot of bones in a lot of closets. -Rocky

over9five

Staff member
"...never an interest in women?"

I once heard a rumour (I am NOT saying it is true) that ol' Jim had other interests....

Does anyone know what I mean? I don't even want to say it, but if someone else says it...

Lobofan5

:

You're right area43 and being a Christian I knew that. I just don't think you can compare Jim Casey to Jesus Christ. Starting a multi-billion dollar company and being the savior to the world are not even close.

I know, I bet Jesus is really Jealous.

I kid. I kid.

area43

:

You're right area43 and being a Christian I knew that. I just don't think you can compare Jim Casey to Jesus Christ. Starting a multi-billion dollar company and being the savior to the world are not even close.

Grunt you missed my point. Go back and read post #15,#16 and #18. The assumption is made that if a man does not marry or have a girlfriend interest that he might be gay. That is what I believe was intended in these posts. The reason I brought up Jesus was that he did the same thing as reference to women. Grunt with your type of thinking about Casey one could be lead to believe that Christ could be in the same boat. I hope that I am clear on the subject.

upsgrunt

Grunt you missed my point. Go back and read post #15,#16 and #18. The assumption is made that if a man does not marry or have a girlfriend interest that he might be gay. That is what I believe was intended in these posts. The reason I brought up Jesus was that he did the same thing as reference to women. Grunt with your type of thinking about Casey one could be lead to believe that Christ could be in the same boat. I hope that I am clear on the subject.

Area43 I have the same values as you and respect your point of view on all subjects. I was simply having conversation and debate. What I was insinuating was purely for invoking a small chuckle from fellow UPSers-obviously I failed and I'm sorry.

area43

Area43 I have the same values as you and respect your point of view on all subjects. I was simply having conversation and debate. What I was insinuating was purely for invoking a small chuckle from fellow UPSers-obviously I failed and I'm sorry.

I knew it was said in jest. I do not know if Mr. Casey was gay. I respect and value your opinion alot grunt. I was a bit taken back by it. I myself joke around so I will hold myself to the same measure I dish out. The reason why I came to the defense of Mr. Casey is I truely believe he was a man of faith. Was he gay? I do not know. I do know this that he was born with the deck stacked against him. As More pointed out his father died and his mother became a widow. Jim took over as the father figure. I believe he felt a tremendous responsibility and burden to do this. He looked after his siblings and boy did he. It was a tuff time to be an American in 1907 when he started this company. World War 1 was just around the corner. The depression. World War 2. Yes, he made millions and billions. He was truely blessed. Why? Who knows. I believe he could have been a christian or like I have said before a man of strong faith. I have a great respect for the man even though I did not know him personally. By Jim's hard work millions of people even billions have benefited from it. Thats why I may have come down a little hard on you. I apologize. sincerely area 43

retired2000

man, talk about getting off the subject. the 1st post was about meeting an old timer and it ends up trying to find out if jim was gay or not.

City Driver

Did he have any guesses where Hoffa Sr. is today? If any of you younger people want to get a history lesson on the Teamsters watch the movie "Hoffa" with Jack Nickelson and Danny Davito. It may be one sided but it is a great movie

i love that movie

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
My father died when I was young and believe it or not I found time to not only help my family but to create a family of my own.

It is not ridiculous to speculate on Jim Casey's life as being out of the ordinary. Those who do not respond to the natural human desire to have a mate will always raise questions amongst those that do. Given the circumstances of the times he may have very well been a suppresssed homosexual that redirected his energy to his business. And if this is the case so what? Would it detract from his legacy?

And believe it or not, one can have faith and be homosexual too. And to be taken back by the suggestion that he might have been gay says more about you than you may care to admit.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Oh, and to be on topic in this thread, I met the widow of a UPS retiree way back when I was an OCA driver. She gave me one of his pencils, brown of course with United Parcel Service printed in gold on it. I still have it in my display case with the rest of my UPS trinkets.

bigbrownhen

I see a "old timer" from time to time on my route. He is pretty cool. Lots of stories. I grew up hanging out at the local feed store with my Dad, so I learned early on in life to listen to the elders. I learned alot from them. My favorite customer contacts are children and the elderly on my route.

Fnix

In my grandpas senior community lives a 30 year retired driver and the mother of my old division manager. Had a nice talk with the both of them at the same time.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I forgot, I met an old timer once who worked for us in the the 1940s in Manhattan. His son was cracking up as his dad was telling me how he was putting packages on some kind of chute and it seems he held on to one of them too long so, being of slight build, he went for a ride down the chute with the packages! He also told of moving furniture back then.