Metal Detectors

JDMC1212

i work out of ontario cal. near LA and lets just say that the some of the guards are real anal. i took my phone in, no problem and when i was leaving lets just say it was a really big problem. they said i stole it. i didnt want to deal with thier bs so i just left... managment wasnt happy to say the least. next day i got written up for not following security guide lines , what a joke

sillyputty

We have zero security. It's a center- our nightly volume (reload) is about 40,000. The doors are all open (except in winter...) and you just walk on in. We were all given badges but no one wears them (except on the air sock when there is an audit). People walk out with old empty boxes that would be trashed kind of frequently- for moving or shipping stuff. Ideally one should let a sup know if you're taking boxes home so they can make sure you don't have anything hidden in them, but there's no enforcement of this that I have seen.

over9five

Staff member
i work out of ontario cal. near LA and lets just say that the some of the guards are real anal. i took my phone in, no problem and when i was leaving lets just say it was a really big problem. they said i stole it. i didnt want to deal with thier bs so i just left... managment wasnt happy to say the least. next day i got written up for not following security guide lines , what a joke

I think you should have stayed until the situation was resolved, and then grieved for the time to be paid to you.
If they want to be able to hold us against our will, then we should be compensated for that time.

sillyputty

Hmmm...it's not hard to prove a phone is yours. Have them call it. You know the number and you likely have voicemail, numbers programmed in...maybe texts, saved voicemails, photos, etc. We can have our phones- no problem. I keep mine out so I can call the sup when we need him (otherwise we may not see one all night). Well, that and so I can look at the time. However, I get annoyed when I see auditors standing on the belts TALKING on their phones instead of doing their jobs. It's not like they do a lot as it is. They became union and since then they still don't feel they have to lift a finger to help out with anything- even the ones who moved into the position who were union to start with. I've also seen people playing games on their phones while waiting for flow.

Mellen24

We have to go through the metal detector then we get the wand. If we are wearing long pants, we have to pull them up to show we aren't smugglin anything out. Ball caps have to be removed, and bags are checked. All this in 10 minutes to go outside to smoke a cig. When the guard sees you go out for smoke break, They still demand to see ID to go back in the building. When an ID is forgotten, a sup has to sign you in for you to go back to work.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We had a new guard who was being a real pain in the ass and wanted to wand me on my way out because the damn detector kept malfunctioning. I told him he was welcome to follow me out to my car and wave his toy around while I walked, but I wasnt on the clock anymore, he wasnt management, and I wasnt going to have my personal time wasted because of a chronically malfuntioning detector. He got the message and left me alone after that. If I wanted to steal something from UPS it would be in a DR bag under a bush at the end of a road on top of a mountain at the ass end of my route. At some point if you are going to pay a guy $70K a year to drive your $30K truck with God knows how much merchandise in it, you simply have to trust him.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We also have an employee here who is a large, big-bosomed African American woman and she kept setting the detector off with her underwire bra. I will never forget the ass-chewing she gave to the skinny, pimpled-faced white boy in the guard shack who made the mistake of wanting to wave his wand over her boobs. I laughed so hard I thought I was going to pee myself. He never bothered her again...

JDMC1212

I think you should have stayed until the situation was resolved, and then grieved for the time to be paid to you.
If they want to be able to hold us against our will, then we should be compensated for that time.
ya that what my shop steward told me when they were writing me up, but since i didnt... while i was getting written up they explained that the phone wasnt the big prob. since i did prove that it was mine but the fact that i didnt listen to what the guard told me to do, they also explained that before u walk in the the guard shack their is a sign that says that u have to follow all security guide lines etc or be disciplined, i could have swore i never seen that stupid sign before, lol

thebrownbox

I never get hassled at all.. I walk past the detector and it beeps once or twice.. the guy must be in his late 70's... but the guy at night for the reloders he is an ass.. I went back one night to pick my package up because of an lazy driver.. long story short I walked around the shack to walk in the door to go in the hub which is behind the shack and the guy came flying out saying whoaa.... who are you and what are you doing going in... I said I work here... he said you have any ID? I said yeah I will get one when UPS stops being so damn cheap... I mean I have been waiting almost 1 year (I started in OCT) and I still never got an ID card..

long story short I ragged on his ass a bit and to make up he had me wait until 8:30pm so I helped set his cellphone up.

alexfo7o

I think most of the hubs would have em not sure about tiny centers unless you live in a bad crime zone :peaceful:
I work in a small center of 25 trucks we are only operating with 23 most of the time though. I the a reload clerk, I am in Montrose C.O. the crime rates are not really high but they do happen. No we don't have metal detectors.
:peaceful:

LLTailor

I'm fairly new at my Hub/Ramp, since it has planes the main entrance is secured by metal detectors and TSA guards with wands.

Hawaii50

Metal detectors here, also the head security guy wants to do a strip search on a employee if the detector goes off after repeated passes. Becuase he thinks you're stealing.

feeder53

ADKtrails
There can not be one at our center because I have went to pick up a package that I had missed because I was on a feeder run and I wlked right out with it.