Method-ists

Just asking...do you think using the methods causes you to run overallowed? Had this discussion with my sup once. He went into the office and came back with this 340 methods manual. I didn't read the whole thing, just a little bit. What I read was nothing but common sense. Just my opinion...what's yours.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
... and came back with this 340 methods manual. I didn't read the whole thing, just a little bit. What I read was nothing but common sense. Just my opinion...what's yours.

Right on point.
The 340 methods for the most part was "written" by UPS Package Car drivers and put down in writing by I.E.s.
The 340 methods can be best thought of as a best practices document.
Safety is always a constraint on recorded "observed" methods ... but other than that, it came from the drivers.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Just asking...do you think using the methods causes you to run overallowed? Had this discussion with my sup once. He went into the office and came back with this 340 methods manual. I didn't read the whole thing, just a little bit. What I read was nothing but common sense. Just my opinion...what's yours.
It depends. If they send you out with what you should be doing, no overallowed. If they cut cars and load you up, they get what they get.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It's not a question of running over or under, it's more that doing everything by the methods takes longer than "the other way". If management has gotten accustomed to the numbers on a particular route being generated by a guy who:

a)Comes to work an hour early to set his truck up stop for stop (off the clock)

b)works all day with the bulkhead door tied open with a DR bag

c)never turns the truck off, just uses the handbrake

d)works through his lunch and breaks

e)anything else you can think of (signs for his own business stops, etc..)

It goes without saying that they are going to be suspicious when a driver who uses the proper methods takes an hour or more longer to do the same amount of work when he runs that route.

P

pickup

I have found my new religion. Has anyone else converted? Any former runner/gunners, want to testify about their new found faith?

I guess Stephen can be described as a born again methodist. However, as we can see they are many who were born again methodists from the start and then lost the faith for a variety of reasons and now only practice the methods when in eye sight of the "priests". I guess these people can be described as born against methodists. :devil3:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
It's not a question of running over or under, it's more that doing everything by the methods takes longer than "the other way". If management has gotten accustomed to the numbers on a particular route being generated by a guy who:

It goes without saying that they are going to be suspicious when a driver who uses the proper methods takes an hour or more longer to do the same amount of work when he runs that route.
Nail on the head, brother, nail on the head.

I guess Stephen can be described as a born again methodist. However, as we can see they are many who were born again methodists from the start and then lost the faith for a variety of reasons and now only practice the methods when in eye sight of the "priests". I guess these people can be described as born against methodists. :devil3:
I have seen the light. The problem with this, as in any true religion, is when you try to spread the "word" of your new found salvation, it turns out that "some u peoples", really liked, the old you.

P

pickup

Nail on the head, brother, nail on the head.

I have seen the light. The problem with this, as in any true religion, is when you try to spread the "word" of your new found salvation, it turns out that "some u peoples", really liked, the old you.

It might be true about what I once heard," it's the newly converted that are often the most zealous" And zealous in this case might be synonymous with overbearing , at least in the eyes of some.

Of course it's going to take longer in some regards. You can ask P-man but I would think allowances have been built in to every stops to allow for the time it takes to use these "best practices." I would be more suspicious if I was a sup and this was a bonus center. But then again, I would like to see what the regular driver ran when he had a sup on the car with him. A sup worth his salt wouldn't allow these shortcuts. Regarding points b & c...I have delivered some runs where the truck would not be there when you returned from the stop. You have some good points. Thanks.

some1else

the only method i dont get is backing to a loading dock (heavy/alot of packages necessary back) where you are supposed to leave a few feet behind the truck. get out and walk around, open from outside. then stack the packages on the dock, (and i guess go find a staircase to get in?) then scan them and get a sig.

all of this is fine, including not scanning in the truck which will cause missed scans (or more often scan then the package is still on the truck), but why not back up all the way? i do it this way during ride-alongs but im really not comfortable standing behind my truck on a ramp to a loading dock!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
the only method i dont get is backing to a loading dock (heavy/alot of packages necessary back) where you are supposed to leave a few feet behind the truck. get out and walk around, open from outside. then stack the packages on the dock, (and i guess go find a staircase to get in?) then scan them and get a sig.

all of this is fine, including not scanning in the truck which will cause missed scans (or more often scan then the package is still on the truck), but why not back up all the way? i do it this way during ride-alongs but im really not comfortable standing behind my truck on a ramp to a loading dock!
Ask that particular company to borrow a wheel chock. This will probably give you the safe feeling you want. I do the same thing at some of the docks I deliver to.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Ask that particular company to borrow a wheel chock. This will probably give you the safe feeling you want. I do the same thing at some of the docks I deliver to.

WOW! I have never been told this. Space between the truck and dock. After the recent accident, I do believe I would tell them there is no way in hell I would stand on the ground between my truck and the dock. They may as well get the ink pen out. I ain't doin it. All it would take is for someone to back into the front of my truck and push that truck into me. And we all know that backing accidents are #1. Unbelievable.

some1else

All it would take is for someone to back into the front of my truck and push that truck into me. And we all know that backing accidents are #1. Unbelievable.
exactly all the other methods; while sometimes slow, are for the most part safe. but this one i just dont like doing! but it really wastes alot of time. i think the method was based on barn-door trucks and the just didnt update it for roll doors????

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I always opened my back doors and backed all the way to a dock at a bulk stop delivery. Besides the package car getting hit and pushed back, you would also have to worry about stepping into that gap and getting hurt. Not to mention the strain on your body from being further away from the dock and bending more to get packages out. Remember your Eight keys for Lifting and Lowering and The Five Keys For Preventing Slips and Falls.

slantnosechevy

I know of a driver who was written up by OSHA for standing between the PC and dock. Seems they were at a warehouse investigating an accident that happened the previous day. Nothing happened to the driver and it just went away mysteriously. You can write til you run out of ink...I'm not standing there.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I go by the methods pretty much all of the time. I may have gotten slower doig it but it also made me faster. it's hard trying to explain to younger drivers that going slower makes you faster.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I go by the methods pretty much all of the time. I may have gotten slower doig it but it also made me faster. it's hard trying to explain to younger drivers that going slower makes you faster.

Not to mention younger on car supes!
Gung-ho slingers are the last to figure it out.