methods

canon

Found it.
Section 340 Methods Description
Jan 1, 1983
Scratch is right. No one does the pretrip completely.
There are 31 steps needed to complete a pretrip.
Maybe I should start a thread to see how many even know what to check?
Does it say how long a proper pretrip is supposed to take?

I used to spend more time pretripping my package car when I was a smoker. Nice relaxing stoll around the truck on a summer morning before the chaos...

dammor

Ok we`re all professionals here,lets see if collectively,we can come up with all 340 of them.I wouldn`t be surprised if a few may be either changed,or redundant with the introduction of the diad,but heck,lets give it a shot!
I`ll start with 10
1-engage the handbrake at a red light, car in neutral,foot on brake.
2-look left right left when approaching intersections
3-carry keys either on your finger,or in your pocket
4-never gear down,brake until car almost stalls
5-slide packages forward on the shelf every few stops
6-avoid blind side backing,when in doubt,get out
7-honk you horn when approaching blind corners
8-always make contact at a pickup,no flag stops
9-at a resi,put on 4ways,honk horn,car in 1st,select the pkg
10-always use your handrail[/QUOTE

I don't have a problem with the rules. What I have a problem with is the fact that if you follow them you will not be seen as a good driver because your time will say you are not. Fact is you will not hear much about these rules until you have an accident. At that point the rules will get you fired because you were not following them. Can we work fast and still be safe? Yes we can, but only if we are allowed to do so. To hell with the numbers. Work smart and safe and go home at 10:00. Your family hasn't seen you in 20 years anyway so why hurry?

D

drcolossus

UPS does not want you to follow the methods for the above stated reasons. One good thing about PAS and EDD is that it stops some drivers from taking those shortcuts. Ask your center or district manager for a copy of the methods and watch him squirm. If management truly believed the job could be done efficiently by the methods everyone would be given a copy right out of school. These are a bit old but here is the pretrip portion.

Intro Inside AM Travel Delivery Pickup Inside PM Conclusion

IE Operations Planning, -- Delivery and Pickup (340) Methods

Pretrip Procedures

This information reflects the pretrip procedure, and other activities at the car, in a typical facility. Variations in local conditions may require some service providers to pull their cars out of the building before the pretrip is completed. In those situations, some of the steps will be rearranged. However, no steps should be eliminated. After completing the routine several times, it will become a habit you can perform automatically.

1 . Look for water, fuel, or oil leaks as you approach the car
2. Check the car for dents and scratches throughout your inspection
3. Check the oil and water levels if it's your responsibility
4. Enter the cab and store any supplies
5. Check the DVA and its cable connections
a. Look for any visible damage, build up of dirt or debris, and secure reconnections.
6. Insert the DIAD into the DVA
a. The top light should light up, flash, and go out
7. Make sure the dome light works
8. Check the forms pouch for the registration; Driver Report of Accident form (016350), and authority permits
a. Arrange the forms so they can all be seen with one glance
9. Check the fire extinguisher and reflective triangles
10. Make sure the Hazardous Materials Emergency Response Guidebook is in the pocket above the driver's seat on the bulkhead
11. Check the hazardous materials pouch to determine the number of hazardous materials packages in the load
12. Check the bulkhead door
a. Make sure the door opens and closes properly, and that the lock works
13. Enter the cargo area and check the DVA's cable connection to the CTM and the CTM's cable connection to the antenna
14. Check all of your Next Day Air, International Express, and 2nd Day Air AM packages
a. As you check the time-sensitive packages in section one, arrange them in the most appropriate and efficient delivery order -- based on both the delivery path and time commitments
b. Once the packages are sorted, you should be able to remember their addresses and their location in the selection area without rehandling them
c. Check for any Next Day Air, International Express, and 2nd Day Air AM packages on the floor. As with the shelf packages, visualize the stops and remember where each package is located on the floor
15. Determine the first shelf stop
a. In addition to knowing your Next Day Air and International Express packages, you need to know your first regular stop in section one
b. Handle only as many packages as necessary to determine your first shelf stop
16. Determine the first floor stop
a. Check the minimum number of floor packages necessary to determine your first floor stop
17. Make sure you have the equipment you need (hand truck, portable rollers, etc.)
18. Close the bulkhead door
19. Review and sign the Driver Vehicle Inspection Report (DVIR)
a. If you reported problems with the vehicle the day before, verify that the automotive department has fixed them
20. Arrange and sort Call Tags and One-Time Pickups in the order you will service them
21. Check for over-70-lb packages
a. Determine the handling option for each of these stops, such as hand truck,
rollers, customer help, another service provider's help, or handling the package unassisted within the power zone
22. Perform your pretrip walk around the vehicle with the key on, engine off
a. The hydro-boost brake light should illuminate and the buzzer should sound
23. Turn on the car's lights and four-way flashers
a. Make sure that both low beams and high beams work
b. Leave lights and flashers on and continue your inspection
24. Inspect the mirrors
a. Make sure they're clean, undamaged, and properly adjusted
25. Check for excessive play in the steering wheel
a. There should be no more than two inches of free play before you feel resistance
26. Check the left front wheel for tire pressure, cuts, and abrasions
a. Make sure the valve stem cap and wheel nuts are secure
b. Check the left side door
a. Open and close it
b. Make sure it locks in both the open and closed positions
c. Inspect the glass, and the door's overall appearance, as you open and shut it
27. Check the left side reflector and marker light
28. Check the undercarriage for any oil or water leaks
a. Look at the springs to make sure they're in good condition
b. At the same time, check the front clearance to make sure that nothing is loose or hanging from the undercarriage
29. Check the front lights, reflectors, and license plate
a. Make sure the headlights, parking lights, four-way flashers, and reflectors are in good condition
b. Verify that you can read the front license plate if there is one
30. Check the right front wheel for tire pressure, cuts, and abrasions
a. Make sure the valve stem cap and wheel nuts are secure
31. Make sure the right side reflector and marker light are in good condition
32. Check the right side door
a. Open and close it
b. Make sure it locks in both the open and closed positions
c. Inspect the glass, and the door's overall appearance, as you open and shut it
33. Make sure the fuel cap is secure.
34. Check the right rear wheels
a. Inspect tire pressure, cuts, abrasions, secure wheel nuts and valve stem caps
b. Be sure to check the inside tire as well
35. While at the right rear tire, check the undercarriage
a. Check for oil or fuel leaks, condition of springs, loose wires, and condition of the exhaust assembly
36. Check the rear right side reflector and marker light
37. Check the rear lights, reflectors, and license plate
a. Make sure that the rear taillights and four-way flashers are working, and reflectors are in good condition
b. Make sure you can read the rear license plate
38. Determine the first rear doorstop
a. Handle the minimum number of packages to determine the first rear doorstop.
39. Check the rear door hazardous materials pouch
a. Make sure no hazardous materials labels have been left in the rear pouch; they should all be in the pouch in the cab
40. Close and secure the rear door
41. Check the rear left side reflector and marker light
42. Check the left rear wheels
a. Check for proper tire pressure, cuts, and abrasions, secure wheel nuts and valve stem caps
b. Remember to check the inside tire
43. Return to the cab and buckle up
a. Take your seat, and turn off the four-way flashers
b. Simultaneously, fasten your seat belt and verify that it's in working order
44. Tap the horn, and check the windshield wipers, defroster, and windshield
45. Test the turn signals
a. Check the turn signals by listening for the clicking sound or looking for the flashing indicator lights
46. Check the backup lights
a. Shift into reverse. You should see the white light reflected in your mirrors, or you can ask someone behind your car to verify that the backup lights are on
47. Start the car
a. At all times minimize engine idle time in the building
b. If the hydro-boost brake buzzer and light remain on, a mechanic should inspect the system
c. Check the oil pressure gauge
d. Check the ammeter
e. Check the fuel and vacuum gauges
48. Listen for peculiar noises
a. Check the parking brake
b. While the parking brake is on, put the transmission in first gear and slowly let out the clutch. The parking brake should hold the car in place
c. With automatic transmissions, perform this test by putting the transmission in drive
49. Test the foot brake
a. As you start to pull out, apply the foot brake. The pedal should not move more than half the distance to the floor
50. Check the clutch pedal clearance
a. The clutch pedal should have 1.5 to 2 inches of free travel before it engages

canoworms

Ive been driving for 15 years,what are the 340 methods?:crying: Ive asked,no one here wants to give answers............
Ask the steward to go with you to to the center manager. He should have no problem at all with furnishing you with this information. If he balks, then ask for the district safety managers phone number and give him a ring. He will be happy to provide you with this fascinating tome. You will be rewarded with hours of reading pleasure.

Channahon

Tie, Isn't there some hand held device management uses during OJS? I forgot the name of it, but every method the driver uses, is suppose to be recorded. I also thought there was a print out avaialable.

satellitedriver

Does it say how long a proper pretrip is supposed to take?

I used to spend more time pretripping my package car when I was a smoker. Nice relaxing stoll around the truck on a summer morning before the chaos...
No they do not address how long it should take. What I did was start a stopwatch and read all 31 steps in the pre-trip. I took 2 minutes and 23 seconds. Ya don't have to smoke to take a nice stroll.
PAX

browniehound

I think if you follow the methods you can finish the job in a reasonable amount of time that management will accept. Where I drive out of, I think the center manager and on-car sups have a reasonable expectation of what can be completed in a certain amount of time. They only pick on the real slackers, and my opinion is its well deserved. By the way, I like these drivers to an extent because it keeps the heat off of me:wink:

At the same time, Scratch alluded to the fact that it should take us 8 seconds to walk into the car, start the car, fasten seat belt, look over the left shoulder, and then safely pull away from the curb. This is what I have a problem with. Because I had a time stidy this year and was told I was talking 1 second too long in my start car routine. Once the time-studier told me this I tried to improve my time and in doing so, I think I was trying too quickly to get back into traffic and thus was being unsafe. While my center team would rather me take the extra second to be safe, this IE nutcase would rather me make the 1 second up.

Whats better, paying me the extar 2 minutes per day, or perhaps a teir-3 $55,000 accident?

over9five

Staff member
"...was told I was talking 1 second too long in my start car routine."

Me too. In fact, the IE person said everyone that had an automatic took one second too long every start.

Doesn't that tell you something is wrong with their time allowance????

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
They never adjusted the time from the lap belt only to the newer vehicles with the shoulder harnass. I'm glad I have an older p10 with just the lap belt.

tieguy

Banned
Tie, Isn't there some hand held device management uses during OJS? I forgot the name of it, but every method the driver uses, is suppose to be recorded. I also thought there was a print out avaialable.

Correct on all counts. Drivers have seen the methods listed on the forms that are reviewed with them during or after the sup does a ride with them.

S

speeddemon

In fact the devious nature of management does not stop there. The reason that management won't give you a menu to Dennys is because they really do not want you to eat breakfast. You should also document any dates and times where you ask them for a Dennys menu.

Tie, thanks for affirming my opinion og you.....

Fullhouse

340 methods maybe old school but the revised 340-E methods are what they are using now. I'm a steward at my building and i find myself in a new battle with managment about these so called methods. UUPS is now issuing disapline to drivers who fail to met a certain SPORH on a weekly average. The claim is if a driver runs below his SPOHR he must not be using his methods.
Just 2 days agao a warning letter was issued to a driver because he ran 2 stops below he SPORH. They claimed he did not use proper methods. I asked the center manager if he was going to identify which methods he failed to perform and hisreply was "no". The center manager even admitted they did not perform any observations on this driver and they are basing the disapline on what the operation report showed.
Now I have managed to get a printed copy of the 340-E methods from a driver supervisor who just happen to be covering for a center manager while he was on vacation. I have read these methods in detail and I have discovered that several of the methods are never mentioned during a so called production ride. In all there are 74 pages the mehtods handbook.

UPS seems to have thrownout the past practice of time allownces and have now shifted their sights on stops per hour. UPS is now performing three rides with drivers inorder to get a 3 day average and are trying to lock these drivers into a certain SPOHR for their run.
If your center does this I wish to give some tips on just how the UPS managment team are able to tip the SPOHR in their favor.
1. They can lower the dispatch so much, they will take a UPS store or a late pick up off of you so you will not have to wait arround before it is time to make the pick up.
2. They will take off business stops and replace those stops with the same amount of residential stops.(easy driver release)
3. If you have NDA commit times they will take off the "out of the way NDA"" so your miles will be cut and you can then start your ground deliveries earlier and they will not inform you of what they did.
4. They will not ask you to obey the speedlimit, that is up to you.
5. they will not write you up, if you skip methods. ie (load maintinance, proper pre trips and post trips, correct driver release methods) one surprise in the methods was shipper release Business stops are to be treated as a regular business stops (signature). Now if the business is closed a Shipper release pkg can then left.
6 Dont let a supervisor tell you to leave the bulk head door open during a delivery stop even if the pkg car is in plain sight.
7 don't let a superisor offer any assitance what so ever, once they have ther average SPORH they will lock you in!
8 dont fall for the over 70 bs that you have to solicit help from the people you are delivering to. The methods clearly state that you may ask for assistance from a fellow employee. Management just happeneds to forget that part of the over 70 method.
9. They have shown a habit of taking off bulk stops that a driver would normally get and give them to another driver when performing their so called performance rides.

Thes are just some of the antics that our managment team are up to, just to get the SPOHR as high as they can get it. Watch them like a HAWK!

Last edited:

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I think if you follow the methods you can finish the job in a reasonable amount of time that management will accept. Where I drive out of, I think the center manager and on-car sups have a reasonable expectation of what can be completed in a certain amount of time. They only pick on the real slackers, and my opinion is its well deserved. By the way, I like these drivers to an extent because it keeps the heat off of me:wink:

At the same time, Scratch alluded to the fact that it should take us 8 seconds to walk into the car, start the car, fasten seat belt, look over the left shoulder, and then safely pull away from the curb. This is what I have a problem with. Because I had a time stidy this year and was told I was talking 1 second too long in my start car routine. Once the time-studier told me this I tried to improve my time and in doing so, I think I was trying too quickly to get back into traffic and thus was being unsafe. While my center team would rather me take the extra second to be safe, this IE nutcase would rather me make the 1 second up.

Whats better, paying me the extar 2 minutes per day, or perhaps a teir-3 $55,000 accident?

Everything I've posted here, about what is wrong with our drivers today. You speak out of both sides of your mouth. In fact, you sound like someone who is on the fence whether or not to go into management. "They only pick on the slackers", huh? Yet, you like them because they keep the heat off you? Now you start bitching about management wanting you to make up 1 second in your start routine?

Guys like you do your best to butcher this job for the rest of us. You even have the nerve to slam the guys who, most likely, are working safe and ignoring the harassment doled out by the ties. Do us all a favor and just put your letter in for management. that way, you can turn your one second back around on the "slackers".

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Those old methods you guys speak of, just forget them. Here are the methods you should memorize: The Five Seeing Habits, The Ten Point Commentary, The Ten Points of Backing, The Eight Keys of Lifting, LEADS, Look before you walk, Establish firm footing, Adjust to changing conditions, Don't run, walk at a brisk pace, Stay off conveyor belts...

Also, some centers make you know the Job set-up, slips and falls, lift-lowering, push-pull, powered equipment and plan for the unexpected mumbo-jumbo.

If you memorize these methods and follow them, everything else will fall in place. If management instructs you do do some new stuff--and they will--KEEP the paper they give you. Never throw that stuff away. Because most of this stuff is put on paper, they will change their minds later. Why? Because most of this crap is never thought through all of the way.

One example: years ago, our center put the full court press on us about driver releases. They gave us a paper stating that no DR could be done properly if the package could be seen from the street, or another residence. Well, almost all houses in neighborhoods can be seen by other houses, front and back, so even back door DR's wouldn't work according to their new paper. So, most of us brought back the majority of our resi's because they weren't 'safe' DR's. As you might imagine, this lasted all of two days when most of us were bringing back 50 to 100 resi's those two days.

The point? FOLLOW THEIR RULES! Save all of their paperwork. And follow the safety methods to the T, and you will be fine. They question you? "Hey, I'm following the safety methods." They still question you? "Sir/Ma'am, are you instructing me to disobey UPS's safe work methods?" I've seen it more times than I can remember; they don't know what to say when you put it this way to them. You can almost see the gears grind in their brains when you throw their rules back on them. They're not trained to go in circles; only straight lines.