MFE was right

thedownhillEXPRESS

Just sayin, so just admit it already.
The system is still a mess with freight sitting all over the country and I don't think we'll be caught up until the middle of next week.

TUT

He predicted a certainty. I didn't predict but stated late last week, ground volume is now shifting to Express and there is a lot of it. I will predict Christmas deliveries will carry into January for the foreseeable future. Now other things he has predicted that we have to wait and see is really what kind of damage has been done. I predict very little and much more positive since the customer will move on and the company will profit. You got slammed, surprise! I see Express Saver is still an option...

If the carriers improve because of this, great! Everyone wins.

vantexan

If the only 2 real nationwide shippers both have problems, where else will people go? It'll just force people to change their habits and ship sooner.

bbsam

Staff member
If it's still a story on January 12, 2014, the yes, MFE will have been right. I still doubt it has that staying power.

thedownhillEXPRESS

It won't still be a story, heck nothing stays a "story " that long.
However behind the scenes at major shippers the world around this will be a hot item for months to come.
There's nearly a thousand news articles about it on google, that's quite a lot of bad publicity.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If it's still a story on January 12, 2014, the yes, MFE will have been right. I still doubt it has that staying power.

TUT said I predicted a "certainty". Well, if it was so certain that FedEx was going to get slammed with extra internet volume, why didn't they do anything but sit on their hands? Sorry, TUT, but you won't be invited to join the Debate Squad anytime soon. The big story will be behind-the-scenes, when all of the big shippers rip Fred & Friends a new one. Think they like getting calls that someone didn't get their package/payroll/etc? When FedEx effs-up, there is a multiplier effect because the shippers reputations are also affected. My guess is Bezos is beyond pissed, as are the execs of the other big shippers. If Steve Jobs were still alive, he'd probably have flown directly to Memphis and given Mr. Smith a first hand "reality distortion field".

bbsam

Staff member
What's more likely. A major backlash from the public that changes how UPS and Fedex do business or the public coming to accept that this is just how things are now? Before you answer, consider how much you know about individuals being screwed over at Express and their acquiescence to it over and over and over again until it becomes the "new normal".

MAKAVELI

TUT said I predicted a "certainty". Well, if it was so certain that FedEx was going to get slammed with extra internet volume, why didn't they do anything but sit on their hands? Sorry, TUT, but you won't be invited to join the Debate Squad anytime soon. The big story will be behind-the-scenes, when all of the big shippers rip Fred & Friends a new one. Think they like getting calls that someone didn't get their package/payroll/etc? When FedEx effs-up, there is a multiplier effect because the shippers reputations are also affected. My guess is Bezos is beyond pissed, as are the execs of the other big shippers. If Steve Jobs were still alive, he'd probably have flown directly to Memphis and given Mr. Smith a first hand "reality distortion field".
Tut doesn't know how much power the big shippers have on FedEx. All he needs to do is ask any Express driver about Apple, Amazon, Walgreens, Anda and just about any major shipper who threatens to shift freight to UPS for poor service. Once backed into a corner they always cave in to their demands.

bbsam

Staff member
Tut doesn't know how much power the big shippers have on FedEx. All he needs to do is ask any Express driver about Apple, Amazon, Walgreens, Anda and just about any major shipper who threatens to shift freight to UPS for poor service. Once backed into a corner they always cave in to their demands.
That would be fine if UPS didn't fail in exactly the same way.

MAKAVELI

I guess we'll see when UPS and Fedex start dumping more and more money into more drivers and vehicles.

You know when there is no mention of peak or the news stories of the failures from management this morning that everything is not peaches and cream with the top management right now.

bbsam

Staff member
You know when there is no mention of peak or the news stories of the failures from management this morning that everything is not peaches and cream with the top management right now.
All that is a company waiting for things to blow over. Until they lose volume, the won't do a damn thing and neither UPS nor Fedex is making a stellar case for themselves.

MAKAVELI

All that is a company waiting for things to blow over. Until they lose volume, the won't do a damn thing and neither UPS nor Fedex is making a stellar case for themselves.

Their quest for double digit profits by cutting from the bottom have produced this mess. They made their bed, now they can lay in it.

Motown

I have a prediction:This "story" will be around the next 3 days and people will forget about it and move on once the new year starts. I also predict that none o the big shippers are going anywhere. This proves that one shipper couldn't possibly handle all the volume so pretty much its going to be business as usual.Both companies made a ton of money.No lessons were learned here,if anything it'll be blamed on the weather and a good number of the public will accept that and move on.In my area we delivered the last of the stuff left in the system today and all day I got nothing but praise for the hard work we do. The majority of the public gets it I think but you will have that loud minority that will go on tv and scream and rant about a package that they ordered on the 23rd that they should have gotten on the 24th. We as a country need to reevaluate the reason for the season cuz if not getting an object ruins your Christmas then that's a serious problem in my book. I think little johnny can go without his call of duty video game one more day.

vantexan

There's an article in today's USAToday slamming UPS. A FedEx spokesman in the article said FedEx had no major issues other than a few minor delays around the country. Really?