Mgmt refuses to pay overtime incentive

bdmiz

I have an issue with my paycheck for the week of thanksgiving.

That week, I worked: monday, tuesday, wednesday and saturday. Thursday and friday were holidays.

Monday: 9.63 hours
Tuesday: 8.83 hours
Wednesday: 10.42 (plus 2.97) for incentive which = 13.39
Thursday: 8.0 hours
Friday 8.0 hours
Saturday 2.07 hours

With my math, this comes out to 33.92 total hours worked. with 7.85 of that being overtime. The issue is on wednesday, my PLANNED day was 13.39, I clocked out at 10.42 so that leaves me with 2.97 hours of incentive that I'm entitled to. My ctr manager is refusing to pay me this, stating that "the only reason your day came out so big is because your board went down that night, and dispatch had to enter fake information which pumped up your day."

That makes no sense to me, since I have the daily package recap from wednesday which shows the stops/pieces I did, it is exactly what I did for that day. There is no "fake information" in regards to my stop count or piece count for that day. The only information that was changed was my punch out time.

Side note, is it possible for diads to go down after you punch them out and stick them in your slot? I remember punching my board out and throwing it in the slot, it never went down in my hands.

This makes me think that they're going to be hit in a negative way once they issue me a check for that incentive, and they're trying to find a way to get around that.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If you didn't run bonus on any of the other days, what did you do different on Wednesday to run 2.97 under? Just curious :wink2:

bdmiz

Cover driving and doing different routes everday. Wednesday they threw me on a split car with 3 different areas which are all known to pay very well. With 203 stops and 260 pieces, 1 on call and 15 NDA's the day came out huge.

This is why I specifically was making sure my paycheck was correct. That and they kept saying my board went down on that day.

Have been unable to get in touch with my steward as i am in twilight right now and have been playing phone tag.

Just trying to get feedback.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
File on it. If they pay other drivers bonus for running those areas and they refuse to pay you, it's an open and shut case. Your manager sounds like a jerk.

pretzel_man

Bdmiz,

What they are saying is possible, but you are entitled to a better explanation than the one they gave you.

Yes, the board can fail to transmit even after punch out. (This is rare however)

Sometimes centers will rekey the information into a DIAD and then retransmit. (That's not a great thing to do)

If they did that and put in improper unit numbers or miles or didn't enter the information fully correctly improper statistics could be generated.

Again, what they are saying could happen but its very rare. Its not inappropriate for you to ask them to work up a planned day for you by hand for Wednesday. Let them prove what it should be and why.

P-Man

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Cover drivers don't get paid bonus do they?
Keep in mind that the term "cover driver" means different things under different supplements.
Under the Atlantic Area supplement (and others I assume) "cover drivers" are regular fulltime drivers who work every day and as long as they have their 30 days in they get paid bonus just like anyone else.
I think under some of the Southern supplements "cover driver" refers to casual drivers who only work as needed, and consequently don't get paid bonus.

bdmiz

I've heard the same thing, but I have never had an issue with being paid incentive. When I first started driving I remember I had to notify my on road, and then I started receiving it.

I am a cover driver and I am in the southern supplement, which would mean I'm not entitled to incentive. Which would in turn mean if I filed it would just get thrown out.

What does them working up a day by hand involve?

I've just got the feeling they want to rake me over and they don't think I will push the issue.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I've heard the same thing, but I have never had an issue with being paid incentive. When I first started driving I remember I had to notify my on road, and then I started receiving it.

I am a cover driver and I am in the southern supplement, which would mean I'm not entitled to incentive. Which would in turn mean if I filed it would just get thrown out.

What does them working up a day by hand involve?

I've just got the feeling they want to rake me over and they don't think I will push the issue.

I wouldnt worry about 2 hours. At a cover drivers rate of pay thats only worth about $31.40 and hardly worth the effort.

Besides, come 3 weeks and you'll be a part of the biggest layoff in UPS history.

You'll have bigger problems to tackle then.:dead:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If what you say is true about not being entitled to bonus because of your status as cover driver, then you're pretty much stuck, though I don't understand why your management team has been paying you bonus up til now if that's actually the case.
I understand what P-man is saying, unfortunately sometimes you have to file to get any action. If you're qualified to make bonus then they need to either pay you or give you a better explanation.
If you're not qualified to make bonus you're probably gonna have to just suck it up and walk away. You need to talk to a steward and figure it out one way or the other.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I wouldnt worry about 2 hours. At a cover drivers rate of pay thats only worth about $31.40 and hardly worth the effort.

Besides, come 3 weeks and you'll be a part of the biggest layoff in UPS history.

I gotta disagree. Fair is fair, if he earned it and he's entitled to it, then he should get paid. Principle doesn't have a dollar sign.

Babagounj

Strength through joy

Always a ray of sunshine aren't you TOS

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's not the money, it's the principle.

Good job with the pep talk!

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I gotta disagree. Fair is fair, if he earned it and he's entitled to it, then he should get paid. Principle doesn't have a dollar sign.

Jones,

this matter is simple. Is there an "incentive pay" clause in our agreement that "entitles" anyone to any type of bonus?

Answer: No.

If there was, we would "Tie" ourselves to production standards and this would not be a good thing. If the company "chooses" to pay bonus, then good for them, if not, let it go. Trying to hold them to production standards would lead to a deathblow to other drivers.

This issue has been covered for many years, its always the younger inexperienced drivers who "fail" to see the bigger picture sotospeak.

case closed.:dead:

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
It's not the money, it's the principle.

Good job with the pep talk![/quote]

I dont deal in emotion, I deal in facts.

Show me the "production bonus" clause in our contract.

Show me any supplemental or rider that outlines production.

If the company pays bonus for production, can they fire for "under" producing?

On that same day, if this cover driver broke standard by 2 hours and is entitled to be paid, what if there was a driver who was in the hole 3 hours on the same day: should he be fired?

One is not fair without the other.

This is why production is NOT a recognized practice and merely a "gift" by the company. While it is widely seen as an entitlement, it doesnt really exist.

If you get it, terrific, if you dont, then get over it.

Nothing more "peppy" then that.:dead:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Besides, come 3 weeks and you'll be a part of the biggest layoff in UPS history. You'll have bigger problems to tackle then.

This is what I was referring to. This had nothing to do with the incentive.
This was simply you not caring about your fellow employees. Period.

They say what comes around goes around.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Jones,

this matter is simple. Is there an "incentive pay" clause in our agreement that "entitles" anyone to any type of bonus?

Answer: No.

If there was, we would "Tie" ourselves to production standards and this would not be a good thing. If the company "chooses" to pay bonus, then good for them, if not, let it go. Trying to hold them to production standards would lead to a deathblow to other drivers.

This issue has been covered for many years, its always the younger inexperienced drivers who "fail" to see the bigger picture sotospeak.

case closed.:dead:
I'm not going to argue the pros and cons of the bonus system. Suffice it to say that I don't like it on balance. But if the company is paying other drivers bonus to do that work, then should pay him the same. It's about fair treatment. As a shop steward, I don't let my dislike for an overall policy get in the way of making sure that an individual member is treated fairly under that policy.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Besides, come 3 weeks and you'll be a part of the biggest layoff in UPS history. You'll have bigger problems to tackle then.

This is what I was referring to. This had nothing to do with the incentive.
This was simply you not caring about your fellow employees. Period.

They say what comes around goes around.

When you're in 20 years, it mainly goes around.:dead:

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I'm not going to argue the pros and cons of the bonus system. Suffice it to say that I don't like it on balance. But if the company is paying other drivers bonus to do that work, then should pay him the same. It's about fair treatment. As a shop steward, I don't let my dislike for an overall policy get in the way of making sure that an individual member is treated fairly under that policy.

Jones, let us have a reasonable debate on this issue. I am going to take issue with a few of your points one by one and offer you a counter.

1)"I'm not going to argue the pros and cons of the bonus system"

What bonus system? Where does this exist? Where can I find the section that outlines the bonus system in our contract or company handbook? How can there be PROS and CONS to something that does'nt really exist?

2)"But if the company is paying other drivers bonus to do that work, then should pay him the same. It's about fair treatment."

Fair treatment? Is it fair for this guy to break route by 2 hours and get paid by the company and on the same day another guys tanks 3 hours and cant be fired? As a steward, would you promote this guys termination for not making production as you would the other getting paid for earning his?

Think your being fair?

3)"As a shop steward, I don't let my dislike for an overall policy get in the way of making sure that an individual member is treated fairly under that policy."

You keep mentioning "policy". Can you demonstrate what the criteria for this policy is? Where is this criteria located? What are the standards for each element of this criteria?

Lets deal with facts, not emotion. I have been around a long time, seen many things, been paid "bonus" at a point years ago before UPS stopped paying it, so I know plenty about "bonus".

You talk about fairness, but are you really? Would you chastize a driver for being in the hole? If you are going to bat for those breaking standard, should'nt you (in all fairness) go after those not breaking standard?

Get the idea?

This is why the UNION does'nt recognize bonus nor does it negotiate it in our contracts. Bonus is merely something the company provides in limited areas.

There are so many perimeters to consider, it would ultimately "hurt" our drivers rather than helping them. The UNION would NOT have any control over any elements of production and the company could set rediculous standards that would lead to the elimination of drivers for production violations.

Bigger picture folks.:dead: