mgt dating

island1fox

:smart:It is truly a mixed message --romance at UPS.
With Mgmt they say there is a non written rule of no fraternization/dating--but yet encourage mgmt to have after work "Beer and Pizza " mtgs-etc.
Ups also has a written policy stating that if two UPS people decide to marry --one must resign from the company.
Why it does not stand up legally: 1. UPS pushing the after work meetings
--------------------------------2. Expect people to decide to get married --without dating ???? --just too stupid.

With hourly to hourly I never heard an objection.:wink2:
As far as who is sleeping with whose husband or wife --off property --off UPS hours ----It is none of UPS'S business ---the business is between the effected parties !!!!

UPS Lifer

With Mgmt they say there is a non written rule of no fraternization/dating--but yet encourage mgmt to have after work "Beer and Pizza " mtgs-etc.
Ups also has a written policy stating that if two UPS people decide to marry --one must resign from the company.
--------------------------------2. Expect people to decide to get married --without dating ???? --just too stupid.

As far as who is sleeping with whose husband or wife --off property --off UPS hours ----It is none of UPS'S business ---the business is between the effected parties !!!!

I know for a fact that two management folks right before I retired got married. One was in HR! Neither had to relocate. So I guess it is like everything else... It is who you know, who you talk to, what district or region you work in. There are no hard and fast rules and even when there are rules... there are always the exceptions!

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Going to have to disagree with the latter.

When I see two part-time supervisors making out inside the building, it makes me a bit sick to see.

When I work around two dating hourlies that are fighting in front of me while I'm trying to work, it makes me uncomfortable.

I know you said "off property" - but inherently the behaviour is brought on property in some cases. Both of those situations I have actually been subjected to on multiple occasions, only within the last two years, and I do not think anyone should have to deal with that type of crap at work.

island1fox

Going to have to disagree with the latter.

When I see two part-time supervisors making out inside the building, it makes me a bit sick to see.

When I work around two dating hourlies that are fighting in front of me while I'm trying to work, it makes me uncomfortable.

I know you said "off property" - but inherently the behaviour is brought on property in some cases. Both of those situations I have actually been subjected to on multiple occasions, only within the last two years, and I do not think anyone should have to deal with that type of crap at work.

S,
After hours -off property line has to be drawn somewhere-----all people at some time bring their crap to work ----you can have a fight with your wife at home -because you are human -you bring a bad attitude to work --I am not saying that is the correct thing to do --but it happens all the time --do you believe Ups should monitor what arguments you have in your own home off the clock ???:wink2:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
S,
After hours -off property line has to be drawn somewhere-----all people at some time bring their crap to work ----you can have a fight with your wife at home -because you are human -you bring a bad attitude to work --I am not saying that is the correct thing to do --but it happens all the time --do you believe Ups should monitor what arguments you have in your own home off the clock ???:wink2:

Absolutely not. Which is why one of the two in each case should be let go or forced out.

UPS Lifer

Years ago, UPS had a strict policy of no relatives working. Even with those guidelines, relatives slipped through the cracks all the time but it was almost like "don't ask don't tell". Because of this clandestine behavior, it was out of sight out of mind.

As the workplace integrated with women in all positions, similar stories ensued. ... again, out of sight out of mind or don't ask don't tell.

As society and the company continued to move forward, changes in our policies took place. We opened the door to allowing relatives to work, and guidelines were developed. Sexual harassment policies continued to evolve over the last 20 years as well.

In most cases, (there are always exceptions!) these policies work. It is always best to handle each case on the individual merits and at the local level.

For example, if two people are showing displays of affection in a work environment then sexual harassment policies kick into gear.

Anybody that decides to to dip their pen into the company ink well runs the risk of progressive corrective action.

If you have a problem with what you see get HR involved.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Years ago, UPS had a strict policy of no relatives working. Even with those guidelines, relatives slipped through the cracks all the time but it was almost like "don't ask don't tell". Because of this clandestine behavior, it was out of sight out of mind.

As the workplace integrated with women in all positions, similar stories ensued. ... again, out of sight out of mind or don't ask don't tell.

As society and the company continued to move forward, changes in our policies took place. We opened the door to allowing relatives to work, and guidelines were developed. Sexual harassment policies continued to evolve over the last 20 years as well.

In most cases, (there are always exceptions!) these policies work. It is always best to handle each case on the individual merits and at the local level.

For example, if two people are showing displays of affection in a work environment then sexual harassment policies kick into gear.

Anybody that decides to to dip their pen into the company ink well runs the risk of progressive corrective action.

If you have a problem with what you see get HR involved.

Can you actually file complaints with HR about affection between 2 people on the job? The kind that makes you want to vomit, not just innocent stuff?

UPS Lifer

Can you actually file complaints with HR about affection between 2 people on the job? The kind that makes you want to vomit, not just innocent stuff?

Yes you can. But as a manager, I would walk up to them and very nicely tell them that their behavior is inappropriate for the workplace. This is usually the best approach to take. If they don't stop then you can go to HR and file a complaint.

U

unhappyupser

I have been dating my supervisor for 4 years with no problems...everyone at our terminal knew and no one cared...until we got a shady new employee that called hr and told them we were living together. No one got fired, though. we had an extra surprise meeting with hr one morning and had to sign a few sheets about retaliation and write out a statement that we would fix our living situation.

PACNW

I have been dating my supervisor for 4 years with no problems...everyone at our terminal knew and no one cared...until we got a shady new employee that called hr and told them we were living together. No one got fired, though. we had an extra surprise meeting with hr one morning and had to sign a few sheets about retaliation and write out a statement that we would fix our living situation.

This surprises me. I would have guessed they would have transfered the sup. UPS would like to make you believe that fraterinization is not tolereated at all. Legally they can't do that, but it is in your best interest to tell HR. They will make sure that the 2 parties have no influence on each other's career. I have seen security get involved in these situations many times. Lying (an integrity issue) is where people get into trouble and the management person can get fired. I have also seen Managers come forward about relationships with hourly employees and simply get transfered to another operation or function.

over9five

Staff member

What exactly does that mean?

over9five

Staff member
Bunk beds.

Or.....

images