Michael Moore Hit in the Face with Reality?

wkmac

So...it turns out President Eisenhower wasn't making up all that stuff about the military-industrial complex.
That's what you'll conclude if you read Bob Woodward's new book, Obama's War. (You can read excerpts of it here, here and here.) You thought you voted for change when you cast a ballot for Barack Obama? Um, not when it comes to America occupying countries that don't begin with a "U" and an "S."
In fact, after you read Woodward's book, you'll split a gut every time you hear a politician or a government teacher talk about "civilian control over the military." The only people really making the decisions about America's wars are across the river from Washington in the Pentagon. They wear uniforms. They have lots of weapons they bought from the corporations they will work for when they retire.
For everyone who supported Obama in 2008, it's reassuring to find out he understands we have to get out of Afghanistan. But for everyone who's worried about Obama in 2010, it's scary to find out that what he thinks should be done may not actually matter. And that's because he's not willing to stand up to the people who actually run this country.
And here's the part I don't even want to write -- and none of you really want to consider:
It matters not whom we elect

Dwight was Right!

For Moore that had to be a tough admission to make!

tieguy

Banned
His biggest issue may be his naivity. You can't just up and leave a war. Firing your generals and quitting a war are two different issues. One does not necessarily beget the other.
LBJ's issues in 1964 do not necessarily translate into todays scheme. Many of todays companies have found life after war in Iraq and continue to find opportunities to make mad money there.

Leaving that war does not garner an automatic non agressor pact from the enemey. In fact they will probably view your actions as one of weakness and chase you to wherever opportunity presents itself.
So here we are spending billions to chase 100 terrorists. For the liberal left like Moore to truly help us get out of war they have to offer us viable realistic solutions. Firing your generals falls short of that option

island1fox

His biggest issue may be his naivity. You can't just up and leave a war. Firing your generals and quitting a war are two different issues. One does not necessarily beget the other.
LBJ's issues in 1964 do not necessarily translate into todays scheme. Many of todays companies have found life after war in Iraq and continue to find opportunities to make mad money there.

Leaving that war does not garner an automatic non agressor pact from the enemey. In fact they will probably view your actions as one of weakness and chase you to wherever opportunity presents itself.
So here we are spending billions to chase 100 terrorists. For the liberal left like Moore to truly help us get out of war they have to offer us viable realistic solutions. Firing your generals falls short of that option

Tie,
I will be more curious on a reply from Diesel than you on what "viable solutions " I
would propose.
I am tired wasting the lives of our young and spending billions and billions of dollars on "Nation Building" If Bush lied about anything --Nation building was it.
I would immediately --but safely remove all of our troops from the middle east, from Germany,Japan , Korea --etc.
I would use our troops to secure our borders --transition many to permanent border security, I would have them address all disasters in the U.S. --floods, fires,earthquakes etc. For example I would have already completely rebuilt New Orleans --rather that building schools, bridges, roads and hospitals in the middle east.
I would have out National guard freeing many of our citizens from gang infested and drug ridden neighborhoods that we cannot now control. I would make sure that every child in America was properly educated and fed before I gave away any of our tax money to dirtbag governments around the world. I would have our military complex develop the next generation of weapons to protect and defend.
I would take part in the Global economy with malice toward none.
The Kicker ---Major dollars would be spent on RELIABLE intelligence. If a true clear and present danger to our people and country would emerge ----I would immediately eliminate the threat with all the power we have.
We are not fighting a war ---we are "Nation Building" --Waste of Blood and Treasure.
Too Right or Too Left ????:wink2:

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned
Tie,
I will be more curious on a reply from Diesel than you on what "viable solutions " I
would propose.
I am tired wasting the lives of our young and spending billions and billions of dollars on "Nation Building" If Bush lied about anything --Nation building was it.
I would immediately --but safely remove all of our troops from the middle east, from Germany,Japan , Korea --etc.
I would use our troops to secure our borders --transition many to permanent border security, I would have them address all disasters in the U.S. --floods, fires,earthquakes etc. For example I would have already completely rebuilt New Orleans --rather that building schools, bridges, roads and hospitals in the middle east.
I would have out National guard freeing many of our citizens from gang infested and drug ridden neighborhoods that we cannot now control. I would make sure that every child in America was properly educated and fed before I gave away any of our tax money to dirtbag governments around the world. I would have our military complex develop the next generation of weapons to protect and defend.
I would take part in the Global economy with malice toward none.
The Kicker ---Major dollars would be spent on RELIABLE intelligence. If a true clear and present danger to our people and country would emerge ----I would immediately eliminate the threat with all the power we have.
We are not fighting a war ---we are "Nation Building" --Waste of Blood and Treasure.
Too Right or Too Left ????:wink2:

Hunker down in your foxhole isolationism. I think you may also want to close our ports and eliminate all international flights. the biggest issue with that approach is when the enemy wins one they will do so at the expense of our mothers , fathers and sisters and children as they did on 9/11.

I've always thought Iraq was an exercise in region building rather then nation building. You now have another country promoting a more western lifestyle. The middle east is for better or worse much more westernized then it was in the past. Westernization is a cancer to the backward mindsets of an Iran. If that westernization leads to the capitulation of the libyias and Irans long term then the lives we lost today may end up saving us much more in the future.
Only time will tell.

island1fox

Tie,
You sound like a union BA ignoring the facts --baffling with B.S. ---Foxhole Isolationism is cute but you missed the facts. A detailed, complete spynetwork, intelligence on the ground, state of the art spyware and technology along with a lethal dose of attitude adjustment is a far cry from isolaltionalism.
I am tired of the right keeping our troops in harms way while being politically correct --not using the entire force we have --tying our soldiers hands ---and I am tired of the left --pullout and bury your head in the sand to real threats(isolationalism) War 1. in the middle east was because the Taliban would not give us Bin Laden---Where is Osama ??? No one knows ----Nation Building --supporting a corrupt goverment has nothing to do with us "winning" or "losing"
War 2--When the UN , Clinton, Kerry, Gore, Hillary, Bush , Cheney all claimed saddam had weapons of Mass destruction ------We went in ---we"won" weapons are not there -----nation building was not part of the deal ---let them work out things for themselves.Staying in Germany, Japan and Korea ??? Makes no sense what so ever. Fix problems at home ---destroy with Lethal force any foreign threat -----Isolationalism does not cover that policy description.:happy-very: Let the all knowing and great UN do the nation building--not our blood nor our money.

wkmac

Island1fox,

Appreciate your thoughts and POV on US Foreign Policy/Nationbuilding thingy. Tip of the hat to you sir!

wkmac

I love perky:happy2:

WAY OT:

Rod,
Since I got ya here, I'm watching WindTunnel (Monday Morning Repeat) and Despain is interviewing Emmett Hahn, founder of ASCS and the ChiliBowl. This being the 25th anniversary, are you treking to Tulsa this coming January? Won't make the Chilibowl but talking with a couple buddies about hitting Dega the same weekend at The ShortTrack for the Ice Bowl. If you are going, like the Nationals, I HATE YOU!!!!
:wink2:

BTW: Did you see the sprinter clip the lightpole at the Grove?

rod

Retired 22 years
WAY OT:

Rod,
Since I got ya here, I'm watching WindTunnel (Monday Morning Repeat) and Despain is interviewing Emmett Hahn, founder of ASCS and the ChiliBowl. This being the 25th anniversary, are you treking to Tulsa this coming January? Won't make the Chilibowl but talking with a couple buddies about hitting Dega the same weekend at The ShortTrack for the Ice Bowl. If you are going, like the Nationals, I HATE YOU!!!!
:wink2:

BTW: Did you see the sprinter clip the lightpole at the Grove?

I've never been to the Chilli Bowl but it is on my 'bucket list'. We had a sprinter take out a lightpole about 20 feet up one night at our local track.
That happened probably 20 years ago and people still talk about it to this day (especially the driver that did it).:happy2:

wkmac

I've never been to the Chilli Bowl but it is on my 'bucket list'. We had a sprinter take out a lightpole about 20 feet up one night at our local track.
That happened probably 20 years ago and people still talk about it to this day (especially the driver that did it).:happy2:

On my list as well!

diesel96

Tie,
would propose.

Island1fox,

Appreciate your thoughts and POV on US Foreign Policy/Nationbuilding thingy. Tip of the hat to you sir!

Fox....I haven't chimed in cause your doing fine on your own....
Although, there are some who present strong debates over bases in Japan, Germany, and Korea .... declaring "These are staging areas for China, Russia, and No Korea". But then, we can't ignore the staggering statistics such as this :( and this is a few years old); http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=5564

"
Conclusion

This article has focussed on the Worldwide development of US military power.

The US tends to view the Earth surface as a vast territory to conquer, occupy and exploit. The fact that the US Military splits the World up into geographic command units vividly illustrates this underlying geopolitical reality.

Humanity is being controlled and enslaved by this Network of US military bases. .

The ongoing re-deployment of US troops and military bases has to be analyzed in a thorough manner if we wish to understand the nature of US interventionism in different regions of the World.

This militarisation process is charactersied by armed aggression and warfare, as well as interventions called "cooperation agreements". The latter reaffirmed America's economic design design in the areas of trade and investment practices. Economic development is ensured through the miniaturization or the control of governments and organizations. Vast resources are thereby expended and wasted in order to allow such control to be effective, particuarly in regions which have a strategic potential in terms of wealth and resources and which are being used to consolidate the Empire's structures and functions.