Micheal Vick

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I just heard that Micheal Vick was actually offered a position with a football team. Couldn't believe it. Some minor league team in NY has offered him 200 a game and a 50 dollar bonus if the team wins. There is one caveat. He has to donate 1 million to the NY Humane Society. I think that is just desserts. :surprised:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
He is/was a phenomenal athlete, I'm sure at some point someone will bring him in for workout to see if he can still contribute.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He doesn't deserve another chance.

I have to respectully disagree with you on this one, Dilli. He has (or will have) paid his debt to society. In no way do I condone what he did. I think training animals to fight one another, whether it be dogs or roosters, is barbaric. However, as I said above, he will have paid his debt to society and will one day end up back in the NFL.

Sammie

What team would like to have him and the media circus that comes with him? Would that not be a distraction?

And personally, I think rewarding him with a contract sends a terrible message when you think of the law abiding guys with talent who would leap over the moon to be offered at a chance at the NFL.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What team would like to have him and the media circus that comes with him?

Oakland Raiders.

Would that not be a distraction?

Absolutely.

And personally, I think rewarding him with a contract sends a terrible message when you think of the law abiding guys with talent who would leap over the moon to be offered at a chance at the NFL.

I agree but an athlete with Vicks' ability and his previous NFL experience will have some owner's looking past the moral issue to see a quarterback who can both run and throw the ball and will put butts in the seats.

Sammie

Oakland Raiders.

That figures, the ones whose fans look like Road Warrior rejects...

_38737639_raider_fan300.jpg

Go, them....

I agree but an athlete with Vicks' ability and his previous NFL experience will have some owner's looking past the moral issue to see a quarterback who can both run and throw the ball and will put butts in the seats.

No, he's not a Hells Angel. No, he doesn't go after little kids. No, he's not involved with guns, drugs or profits. No, he doesn't kill people. Just dogs; intelligent, innocent life forms who depend on us for survival and can't defend themselves.

Well, that's too bad. If there's any justice in this world, the option for him to make millions just won't happen. What ever skills he may possess are miniscule compared to that sleazy attitude. I'd much rather watch him salt my fries for the rest of his natural born life and I hope the sick perv develops ingrown toenails.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have to respectully disagree with you on this one, Dilli. He has (or will have) paid his debt to society. In no way do I condone what he did. I think training animals to fight one another, whether it be dogs or roosters, is barbaric. However, as I said above, he will have paid his debt to society and will one day end up back in the NFL.
I know you are right Upstate. And he was/is a hell of an athlete. It is a shame that he had to go and do something stupid and throw away a very promising career(at least for right now). I don't remember hearing, did he get a lifetime ban from the NFL?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Debt paid or not, he's someone that people hate....like O.J. He blew it and will be wearing that "scarlet A" the rest of his life.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree with you all but the sad truth is that we have short memories and focus on wins and losses.

From what I have read, Vick has to go through a halfway house upon his release from prison and then will have to apply for reinstatement to the NFL.

As I said before, I in no way condone what he did but he will have paid his debt to society so why should he be any different from any of the other criminals who have served their time and gone on to lead productive lives. Will he catch hell from the fans? Absolutely but sports fans tend to have short memories and success on the playing field will overshadow his past transgressions.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I think attendance will go down if Michael Vick is involved and "the gate" is everything. I think there are fans who absolutely won't attend where he is at. Money talks, no matter how short the fans memories are.

I would boycott, so there has to be others who would also.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I know you don't condone it Upstate. I know after he has served his time he will have the right to join the rest of humanity in society. But, it is still hard to forgive and forget. Animals need to be protected. They have no defenses against people. I should say they have very few defenses against people. And the defenses that they do have can easily be counteracted. Bull fighting, cock fighting, dog fighting is just plain wrong and inhumane. My comment about being castrated may have been very harsh but in MPO is deserved. It's probably a good thing MPO doesn't count for much. :wink2:

I love football and I thought he was a hell of an athlete but if he never stepped foot on a field again it would be to soon.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I think attendance will go down if Michael Vick is involved and "the gate" is everything. I think there are fans who absolutely won't attend where he is at. Money talks, no matter how short the fans memories are.

I would boycott, so there has to be others who would also.
I am with you on this.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I know you don't condone it Upstate. I know after he has served his time he will have the right to join the rest of humanity in society. But, it is still hard to forgive and forget. Animals need to be protected. They have no defenses against people. I should say they have very few defenses against people. And the defenses that they do have can easily be counteracted. Bull fighting, cock fighting, dog fighting is just plain wrong and inhumane. [-]My comment about being castrated may have been very harsh but in MPO is deserved[/-](oooops wrong thread). It's probably a good thing MPO doesn't count for much. :wink2:

I love football and I thought he was a hell of an athlete but if he never stepped foot on a field again it would be to soon.

LastBest&Final

To Endeavor To Persevere
There is a few Pro players that have made mistakes in the past and are still playing. No one is prefect, but don't be a hater. Hate what they have done, but not the person. Everyone deserve a second chance. I hope he makes a come back, and continue to tell everyone want he did was wrong. To err is human, to forgive divine - Alexander Pope

moreluck

golden ticket member
His second chance in football should be in youth leagues instead of pulling down a shameful salary and being nothing but a "player".

UPSSOCKS

That's funny.. I don't know how I missed this thread but.... I guess Mike Vick told all the haters where to stick it. He is probably going to be MVP. Despite whatever he was involved with, football is much more important and powerful than the crime that Mike Vick admitted to. I'm guessing more people love Mike Vick than hate him. Sorry Dilli........

Check the jersey sales from the month of december.......