Micromanaging brought to a new level!!!!!!!!!!

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I did not know whether to start a new thread with this or not but it does pertain to hydrating oneself.

This week management has been on the distracted driving theme. We were given a checklist of potential distractions that were in our cab....(such as phones, bluetooths, food and beverages, radios and i-pods). We were told to pay attention to these items and the distractions that they could cause.

Today....we were told that we could not have any beverages or food in the cab. We would have to keep them in the cargo area.

Now....my issue with this is....UPS tells us to hydrate ourselves. It is convenient when you are stopped in traffic to take a swig of water when it is right there in your cupholder that is integrated right into the design of the vehicle. The water or beverage is easily within reach and a subtle reminder...Hey...I need a drink. I don't even need to move my eyes from what is going on around me to hydrate myself.

Quite honestly.....the whole 10 point commentary and the 5 seeing habits are more of a daily distraction than hydrating myself or snacking on a cracker or 2.

Will it ever cease?[/QUOTE
Since we have to account for every second of our day, what code do we use to open the bulkhead door and get our H20??? : )

It's figured in. Isn't that the standard reply?

I deliver in a college town to college apartments. I am more distracted by what is joggling(yes....not a typo), biking, walking, sunbathing along the sidewalks every day. I don't think having water in my cab within easy reach adds to the issue of distracted driving.

What UPS is going to get is some serious issues with drivers becoming dehydrated this coming summer by this mandate.

thessalonian13

The preload lineup is based on pieces per car, rather than common sense.
My point,...you're absolutely correct in being dumbfounded.
First of all, for the first 18 years that I worked as a full time driver all the trucks were lined up according to town. I will safely assume that for the previous 80 or 90 years before that they lined up trucks according to town. Secondly, most package cars go out with between 200 and 450 packages each. With 9 package cars in the town I deliver in, I bet you can find a way to line them up so the piece counts matches up with the loaders. I am sorry for this common sense ranting.

I did not know whether to start a new thread with this or not but it does pertain to hydrating oneself.

This week management has been on the distracted driving theme. We were given a checklist of potential distractions that were in our cab....(such as phones, bluetooths, food and beverages, radios and i-pods). We were told to pay attention to these items and the distractions that they could cause.

Today....we were told that we could not have any beverages or food in the cab. We would have to keep them in the cargo area.

Now....my issue with this is....UPS tells us to hydrate ourselves. It is convenient when you are stopped in traffic to take a swig of water when it is right there in your cupholder that is integrated right into the design of the vehicle. The water or beverage is easily within reach and a subtle reminder...Hey...I need a drink. I don't even need to move my eyes from what is going on around me to hydrate myself.

Quite honestly.....the whole 10 point commentary and the 5 seeing habits are more of a daily distraction than hydrating myself or snacking on a cracker or 2.

Will it ever cease?

So I guess delivery sups will have to ride in the cargo area when doing S and V rides? After all, them sitting in the jump seat asking insipid questions all day long is nothing more than a distraction.

menotyou

bella amicizia
First of all, for the first 18 years that I worked as a full time driver all the trucks were lined up according to town. I will safely assume that for the previous 80 or 90 years before that they lined up trucks according to town. Secondly, most package cars go out with between 200 and 450 packages each. With 9 package cars in the town I deliver in, I bet you can find a way to line them up so the piece counts matches up with the loaders. I am sorry for this common sense ranting.
It was like that at my center, in case of misloads, bulk stops, whatever. Worked like a charm. Drivers knew where to find the 'common' misloads before leaving. Then, here comes that bright idea thing. It was soooooo great. :nobrainzombis:

Dragon

Package Center Manager
It was like that at my center, in case of misloads, bulk stops, whatever. Worked like a charm. Drivers knew where to find the 'common' misloads before leaving. Then, here comes that bright idea thing. It was soooooo great. :nobrainzombis:

Sorry, new message from higher up...if they like it (employees) please stop doing it, other employees may want it and we cannot have that.
:grouphugg:

Sorry, new message from higher up...if they like it (employees) please stop doing it, other employees may want it and we cannot have that.
:grouphugg:
That's why whenever I see the district manager I tell him that my guys love working for the current center manager whoever it might be.

brownedout

blue! Where have you been? No post in some time? Couple of weeks back saw one of our white tractors pulling doubles over I 287 near the Parsippany building at 2:30 PM on a Saturday afternoon. Seem odd?