MicroVision coming to one undisclosed center.

moldsporh

Kinda freaky....think about it. UPS survived the Great Depression. ..if the SHTF. ..they are likely implementing a system that would allow anyone off the street to likely be successful since in that sceneraio....they not going to pay what they are now.

Orion was likely the first step.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Kinda freaky....think about it. UPS survived the Great Depression. ..if the SHTF. ..they are likely implementing a system that would allow anyone off the street to likely be successful since in that sceneraio....they not going to pay what they are now.

Orion was likely the first step.
It's a pretty big step in the wrong direction then.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Orion really isn't that much different than Edd. Edd was the beginning of the end. We were supposed to follow it but that didn't last. Same thing will happen with Orion. New technology isn't supposed to make it easier so you are replaceable, it's so they can pile more work on. Get more bang for their buck. It's still going to suck it's still going to be hot and it's still going to be back breaking. They do all they can to avoid hiring and adding routes.

JL 0513

Orion really isn't that much different than Edd. Edd was the beginning of the end. We were supposed to follow it but that didn't last. Same thing will happen with Orion. New technology isn't supposed to make it easier so you are replaceable, it's so they can pile more work on. Get more bang for their buck. It's still going to suck it's still going to be hot and it's still going to be back breaking. They do all they can to avoid hiring and adding routes.

Agreed that new tech is implemented more to make us more productive and efficient, rather than the thought of easily replacing us.

I see the new tech as mostly good things. I don't think anyone would want to go back to paper on clip boards. And why would anyone want to go back from EDD? Even if you don't follow it stop for stop, it's still a great guideline to help you plan.

Anyone who thinks it's not a good idea to get more work out of each worker through the help of technology must think we have no competition that's working to do the same. If we don't do it, we will die as a company. There goes your job. We have to stay ahead. The fact that we are paid much more than FedEx drivers just makes it that much more important for UPS to stay ahead of the curve in productivity.

UPS is in business to make money and that's great. Otherwise, we'd be the Post Office which can't run a profit and lose billions a year. If you ask me, I'd prefer to stay in business and have a high paying job.

JL 0513

Don't kid yourself---while EDD and Orion are designed to make us more efficient, they are also designed to more easily replace us.

Sure, that's a potential benefit to the company but it's not like there's a plan to get rid of top rate drivers. They can't just fire us and replace us for no reason. A scenario of a mass replacement is really only possible because of an illegal walkout such as the one in NY this past year. Company got away with letting all those drivers go.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Sure, that's a potential benefit to the company but it's not like there's a plan to get rid of top rate drivers. They can't just fire us and replace us for no reason. A scenario of a mass replacement is really only possible because of an illegal walkout such as the one in NY this past year. Company got away with letting all those drivers go.

While I agree there is no plan to fire senior drivers, I think the plan is to "encourage" us to retire sooner than later. We all know drivers that decided after last peak that they had enough. Many more are planning to leave at 55 so they can buy the insurance. I used to think I would stick around long enough to cash in the 401k but now I am planning on 55 and bye bye.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

While I agree there is no plan to fire senior drivers, I think the plan is to "encourage" us to retire sooner than later. We all know drivers that decided after last peak that they had enough. Many more are planning to leave at 55 so they can buy the insurance. I used to think I would stick around long enough to cash in the 401k but now I am planning on 55 and bye bye.

If the Union were to offer the following incentives to drivers with 25 or more years of service you would see a lot of us walk: Waive the years of service (30) and minimum age (55) requirements and lower the penalty to 3% per year for every year we leave early.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Quote="UpstateNYUPSer, post: 1398608, member: 12570"]If the Union were to offer the following incentives to drivers with 25 or more years of service you would see a lot of us walk: Waive the years of service (30) and minimum age (55) requirements and lower the penalty to 3% per year for every year we leave early.[/quote]

The only incentive ups offers us to retire early is taking things away. Now the union is not going to offer an early buyout to replace us with lower paid workers. Our union dues are based upon our wage. So they are not going to give us money to in turn collect less in union dues. The only thing ups can do is update the techy stuff so we can do more stops and now they Dont have to put in an extra route and hire an extra driver. Besides orion isn't that much different. Minus a few extra u turns my day was pretty much the same as edd, minus 10 miles.