Mid-Atlantic area busier than peak.

Fragiledonthrow

Everyone has to work to pay bills. Some work to provide and take care of their family's. Watching my terminal go from 20 truck to 45 trucks in five years makes me think I'm in the right business. Not only have the trucks increased so has our terminal. When I look down the street and see express and ups in the same building with about the same amount of trucks in the building again makes me think Ground is going to be the one who will be getting the raises in the future. Our building two years ago was 10k sq feet today we are in a 60k with 2017 the expansion of a new line. Hmmm
How can u feel so proud when a ups driver is making 3 time what your making gets a pension, benefits and vacation/ sick pay.. U guys over there really need to wake up. How bout being able to buy a home for ur family and being able to pay some sort of college for your children.. Ground really makes me sick and I feel pity for fellas like you who take it in rear and cant see the big picture. Go work at mcdonald. People gotta eat too.

vantexan

Lol cactus 70 stop 80 packages that sir doesn't make you entitled to make what ups makes. Ups nobody argues they are over worked and under paid those guys are slaves to a company, so what they make 80k-90k they also do what 3 express guys do in one day. Ground guys do twice as much as express with a third of UPS pay. Express guys have no argument or right to complain I've seen plenty of express guys come and go at the ground term crying they don't get enough hours and when they get the job complain they are over worked with the ground business model.
Really, one UPSer does what 3 Express guys do? First off I agree that UPS drivers work hard. But they are well compensated. However you have to understand that there's only so much one can do in a given amount of time. A UPS driver usually works a much more condensed area than an Express courier. Most Express routes have multiple UPS routes within their borders. This allows a UPS driver to handle a lot more freight. But FedEx isn't giving anything away. Express couriers are pushed to do as much as possible and have time commitments thru their day to keep them moving. Also Express couriers work a sort in the morning and in many stations a reload in the evening too. In bigger stations this can be an industrial operation. Also keep in mind that before there was a Ground it was Express driving stepvans and delivering heavy bulk while still having to hustle to keep commitments. We worked extremely hard and had a lot of promises made to us, many of which were broken. You see things as they are now and don't realize the road we went down and came up short because we continued to trust a company that one time really took care of us in exchange for helping them build a brand. Now we're dinosaurs, but the reason you have a job today is because we went before and built a trust with our customers that keeps them coming back.

MAKAVELI

Lol van get used to express being light and doing letters. Soon express will be like DHL in the states just doing international and letters coast to coast. Fedex ground is moving freight so fast express wont be needed in the states. As ground guys we have to get used to the spike in volume it's only going to increase at an extreme rate. Read 4.6 billion being pumped into ground sector only this year alone 7% of the profit margins. It's nice to be on the ground side knowing their will be job security.
Hey genius, that $4.6 billion is company wide not just Ground. You might want to do some research before you go beating your chest.

MAKAVELI

Stopsperhour maybe you should do your research. As for me beating my chest have no interest I'm just getting ready to ride the wave to the bank lol. Here I did your research for you http://www.wsj.com/articles/fedex-profit-revenue-miss-estimates-1434541911
You really are too easy genius.;)
This is straight from the FedEx investors paige.
http://investors.fedex.com/news-and...rts-Fourth-Quarter-Earnings-2015/default.aspx
Capital spending for fiscal 2015 was $4.3 billion.

Outlook

For fiscal 2016, FedEx projects adjusted earnings to be $10.60 to $11.10 per diluted share before year-end mark-to-market pension accounting adjustments, driven by continued improvement in base pricing and benefits from our profit improvement program. The outlook assumes continued moderate economic growth and does not include any operating results or costs related to TNT Express.

Capital spending for fiscal 2016 is expected to be approximately $4.6 billion, which INCLUDES expansion of the FedEx Ground network and planned aircraft deliveries to support the FedEx Express fleet modernization program.

And your reading comprehension really sucks.
This is from your link.
FedEx Corp. said it is BOOSTING capital spending 7% to $4.6 billion, with the entire INCREASE going toward its ground segment as it tries to keep up with the boom in online shopping.

Last edited:

Crozz

Van what is your stops and package count? I have friends in both express and ground. Both are realistic one has given his life to the company making good money but having no family life and has been with ups for 24 years he says it all the time he wished he made a different career choice. He runs an average 160 stops and puts in crazy hours. My express friend total opposite been with express 15 years loves it says it's easy and the terminal alone does what my fleet does and they have 21 trucks running when I have 16 trucks in one of my terminals. So yes I believe ups are slaves to a company that is stagnant because of their model and express has a niche and that will be international and coast to coast over nights. Ground on the other hand will be the future because of contractors running their business tight and effective. Do we all pay great no why because Fred is behind and we are growing to fast do I believe it will be fixed yes ISP is the only way. Once all states are ISP you will see ground won't be the step child of the delivery world. Did express pave the way to fedex being what it is yes. You guys will have to adapt or lose out.

MAKAVELI

Van what is your stops and package count? I have friends in both express and ground. Both are realistic one has given his life to the company making good money but having no family life and has been with ups for 24 years he says it all the time he wished he made a different career choice. He runs an average 160 stops and puts in crazy hours. My express friend total opposite been with express 15 years loves it says it's easy and the terminal alone does what my fleet does and they have 21 trucks running when I have 16 trucks in one of my terminals. So yes I believe ups are slaves to a company that is stagnant because of their model and express has a niche and that will be international and coast to coast over nights. Ground on the other hand will be the future because of contractors running their business tight and effective. Do we all pay great no why because Fred is behind and we are growing to fast do I believe it will be fixed yes ISP is the only way. Once all states are ISP you will see ground won't be the step child of the delivery world. Did express pave the way to fedex being what it is yes. You guys will have to adapt or lose out.
Why don't you ask some of the UPS folks on this forum if they would trade jobs with Express or Ground? Here's a clue, drivers at UPS only leave to retire. Express and Ground have extremely high turnover. There's your proof homie.

Crozz

Lmao did I say a ups guys would pick either ground or express? Ask them how their pension are now that the union didn't fight for their retirement in the last negotiations?

MAKAVELI

Lmao did I say a ups guys would pick either ground or express? Ask them how their pension are now that the union didn't fight for their retirement in the last negotiations?
UPS retirees in my area are collecting 4k+ and health benefits. Next.

vantexan

160 stops is hard work but they're under DOT regs too. They have to adhere to the 14 hr rule too. Anyone doing 160 stops is in a very condensed area. Believe me as someone who's done 100 stop rts in larger areas than the 160 stop guy I've always preferred miles over stops. It's much easier on me physically to drive 250 miles and do 55 stops obviously. But you are missing the big picture. As I pointed out we did all that bulk you're handling now and had commitments that we had to hump like crazy to keep. UPS drivers don't unload trucks or load their own vehicles. They aren't under the gun to get back to get outbound off. FedEx couriers work hard but it's a different animal than what UPS or FedEx Ground does. I've never been one here to slam Ground as I've known some good people there and in many areas of the country getting a Ground job is one of few opportunities available. But the bitching you see here is mostly older couriers who resent being taken advantage of so that they could build up Ground to further enrich themselves. If you had worked a long time to get a pension then they terminated the plan or if you worked 12-15 years and aren't much ahead of starting pay and had to work next to people making much more with no possibility of catching them you might be pissed too. But then, if you're a contractor and it works well for you then maybe you don't want potential employees seeing all this and walking away.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Lol Cactus funny your living in the past Ground is evolving and when it was one contractor and a sup it was probably the way you say. But now real business men own routes and when ISP hits throughout the states you won't see a contractor without 500 stops or 5 PSA. Business minded men are entering the ground sector and not all previous contractors do what you say. Does that happen maybe but I doubt it's happening now with a contractors business on the line. So you are a joke because you have no clue how ground truly works now. Does fedex get it right on the pay no, but in the long run fedex ground will get the pay right and when ISP hits all states Ground will be bigger than UPS. Fred S is smart and continues to make the right moves. Genco and Smart post will be hitting the ground sector soon and that will increase our volume as well.
Hey you're very good at counting your chickens before they're hatched. I'll bet you have posters of Fred S tacked all over your bedroom walls too.

Dream on.

Last edited: