Mid-Atlantic area busier than peak.

dvalleyjim

I do 125 to 150 stops in a 172 mile area. I get to work a 7:30 am and get home at 8:30 pm I make $160.00. That's 15/hr straight pay with only 1 weeks vacation per year. Tell me this is not a rip off you so called business men. My ISP's business man is about to lose his business. See FedEx is taking away his boxes. Doesn't seem like he's in business to me. This is a scam and the drivers are the ones that are paying the price.

I drive a FedEx truck with a FedEx uniform and delivery only FedEx packages from a FedEx terminal with FedEx issued equipment. People I deliver to think I'm FedEx but I work for a guy named Joe.

bbsam

Staff member
I do 125 to 150 stops in a 172 mile area. I get to work a 7:30 am and get home at 8:30 pm I make $160.00. That's 15/hr straight pay with only 1 weeks vacation per year. Tell me this is not a rip off you so called business men. My ISP's business man is about to lose his business. See FedEx is taking away his boxes. Doesn't seem like he's in business to me. This is a scam and the drivers are the ones that are paying the price.

I drive a FedEx truck with a FedEx uniform and delivery only FedEx packages from a FedEx terminal with FedEx issued equipment. People I deliver to think I'm FedEx but I work for a guy named Joe.
Why doesn't it seem like a business? If FedEx is not happy with how he does business (as you seem not happy with how he does business ), why should they continue to do so?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Van what is your stops and package count? I have friends in both express and ground. Both are realistic one has given his life to the company making good money but having no family life and has been with ups for 24 years he says it all the time he wished he made a different career choice. He runs an average 160 stops and puts in crazy hours. My express friend total opposite been with express 15 years loves it says it's easy and the terminal alone does what my fleet does and they have 21 trucks running when I have 16 trucks in one of my terminals. So yes I believe ups are slaves to a company that is stagnant because of their model and express has a niche and that will be international and coast to coast over nights. Ground on the other hand will be the future because of contractors running their business tight and effective. Do we all pay great no why because Fred is behind and we are growing to fast do I believe it will be fixed yes ISP is the only way. Once all states are ISP you will see ground won't be the step child of the delivery world. Did express pave the way to fedex being what it is yes. You guys will have to adapt or lose out.
Any chance while your taking over the world you could get the Ground drivers to practice a little hygiene. Most stink!!

It will be fine

You've been a member here since 2011. I'll assume you've been driving for this contractor at least that long. If it's such a rip off you'd have found a new job by now. If your contractor is losing his service area maybe you could step up an buy it and show us all how it's done.

MAKAVELI

Lol van get used to express being light and doing letters. Soon express will be like DHL in the states just doing international and letters coast to coast. Fedex ground is moving freight so fast express wont be needed in the states. As ground guys we have to get used to the spike in volume it's only going to increase at an extreme rate. Read 4.6 billion being pumped into ground sector only this year alone 7% of the profit margins. It's nice to be on the ground side knowing their will be job security.
http://www.thestreet.com/story/1321...edex-may-order-up-to-50-more-report-says.html

soc151

You've been a member here since 2011. I'll assume you've been driving for this contractor at least that long. If it's such a rip off you'd have found a new job by now. If your contractor is losing his service area maybe you could step up an buy it and show us all how it's done.

Step in and buy it? Ha! Now that's hilarious. If us regular drivers had access to that kind of scratch ($500k minimum in ISP states), do you think we'd still be driving??

With the rare exceptions, ISP isn't about who is most qualified to be a contractor, it's who has the deepest pockets along with the patience and resources to piss away dealing with FedEx.

It's also not that easy to just switch contractors. At least in my building, there is an understanding that they won't poach drivers from each other, and I'm fairly certain they collude to keep driver wages at a certain level.

Yes, I'm complaining. I also interviewed for a shipping clerk position at one of my daily pickups today. $16/hr plus benefits and triple my current paid vacation..oh and a retirement account, too. 7 years of Fedex is enough. Time to move on from this job, and find a career.

It will be fine

Step in and buy it? Ha! Now that's hilarious. If us regular drivers had access to that kind of scratch ($500k minimum in ISP states), do you think we'd still be driving??

With the rare exceptions, ISP isn't about who is most qualified to be a contractor, it's who has the deepest pockets along with the patience and resources to piss away dealing with FedEx.

It's also not that easy to just switch contractors. At least in my building, there is an understanding that they won't poach drivers from each other, and I'm fairly certain they collude to keep driver wages at a certain level.

Yes, I'm complaining. I also interviewed for a shipping clerk position at one of my daily pickups today. $16/hr plus benefits and triple my current paid vacation..oh and a retirement account, too. 7 years of Fedex is enough. Time to move on from this job, and find a career.
Glad I didn't have that attitude when I started. I didn't come from a big pile of money, but I worked my way up to where I am. If a contractor is being forced out you should get a good deal on buying their area. It's pretty easy to get loans on the trucks and you could probably get the former contractor to finance the rest of the purchase price themselves. If not start hitting up banks, the smaller local banks are typically more willing to make loans. Of course all this would take effort, it's much easier to play the victim and complain how impossible it is. Owning a business is not for everyone, it won't just be given to you, you have to work for it.

1fedexFAILURE

Glad I didn't have that attitude when I started. I didn't come from a big pile of money, but I worked my way up to where I am. If a contractor is being forced out you should get a good deal on buying their area. It's pretty easy to get loans on the trucks and you could probably get the former contractor to finance the rest of the purchase price themselves. If not start hitting up banks, the smaller local banks are typically more willing to make loans. Of course all this would take effort, it's much easier to play the victim and complain how impossible it is. Owning a business is not for everyone, it won't just be given to you, you have to work for it.
Do you have to go to school in order to learn this pile of horse mess or does it just come naturally? Or is it infused by those who rule over you?

Crozz

Do you have to go to school in order to learn this pile of horse mess or does it just come naturally? Or is it infused by those who rule over you?

Comes natural really lots of hard work and investing. Started as a jumper and now I run 24 p&d and 7 line haul. Being 34 and being able to do what I've been able to do is nice not to many companies give you a chance to do that.

Not all contractors are the same the ones that Adapt and treat their guys right see success. Just because you have $500k to invest and get in doesn't make you a good contractor.

dvalleyjim

I was a contractor in Los Angeles CA for 18 Years. If you need me to show you how it's done contact me. If not shut your mouth because as far as I'm concerned you don't know much. Oh by the way I sold out and my file still says that they would contract with me again.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I was a contractor in Los Angeles CA for 18 Years. If you need me to show you how it's done contact me. If not shut your mouth because as far as I'm concerned you don't know much. Oh by the way I sold out and my file still says that they would contract with me again.
Zinger! It will be fine

dvalleyjim

Why doesn't it seem like a business? If FedEx is not happy with how he does business (as you seem not happy with how he does business ), why should they continue to do so?
If you think it's a business fine. I always knew it was a scam. I sold when it became only a scam for FedEx and no longer for me. I got my money and got out. Just because I still work as a HD driver doesn't mean anything. It gives me income. I know it and it give me something to do. I've seen both sides of the scam and the drivers are not compensated the same as the competition.

bbsam

Staff member
If you think it's a business fine. I always knew it was a scam. I sold when it became only a scam for FedEx and no longer for me. I got my money and got out. Just because I still work as a HD driver doesn't mean anything. It gives me income. I know it and it give me something to do. I've seen both sides of the scam and the drivers are not compensated the same as the competition.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just used to people using the word "scam" to describe something they simply don't like. And disparity among competing companies doesn't define it either. Coke drivers make far less than Pepsi drivers and are treated like crap (around here anyway).

soc151

Didn't have "that attitude" when you started what? I've worked harder than most anyone for the past 7 years moving boxes. I don't have much to show for it but torn cartilage in my hip at age 36.

You really think I didn't look into buying? Before my state went ISP, my friend and I had financing set up to get a route. We thank God every day that we learned about the ISP conversion before we bought. It's not easy to line up 300k (500k now) worth of financing when you have few assets and make less than 50k a year.

On top of that, why on EARTH would I want to contract with a company that will change the rules on a whim whenever they feel like it? You and other contractors may feel like it's a solid investment; I don't get the same feeling. Maybe it's cynicism...just my opinion.

Don't ever accuse me of not making effort in life. I feel sorry for your drivers, actually, if you feel like busting ass for years isn't making an effort to better one's life. It's the system that Ground runs under - Corporate and contractors make the money, contractors mediate their financial risks, and the drivers get stuck in an endless stream of false promises and no career progression.

I am making an effort, my contractor friend. An effort to network with my connections made on my routes to get the hell out of a truck.

It will be fine

I do 125 to 150 stops in a 172 mile area. I get to work a 7:30 am and get home at 8:30 pm I make $160.00. That's 15/hr straight pay with only 1 weeks vacation per year.
You sold out and the best deal you could get to continue driving is 150 stops, 13 hour days for $160 and 1 week of vacation. I think I'll pass on your advise. Someone with your experience should command much more than that, but hey negotiating's not for everyone.

Code43

Since this is a Ground thread.. UPS drivers make 80,000 a year and don't pay for Health benefits. Ground drivers do the same job. More so than Express Drivers. I've never met an Express driver that claimed to do what Brown does on a daily basis. We don't have the Volume. Why are FedEx Ground drivers underpaid so severely when compared to a UPS Driver? What makes FedEx Ground such a great company to work for?

bbsam

Staff member
Since this is a Ground thread.. UPS drivers make 80,000 a year and don't pay for Health benefits. Ground drivers do the same job. More so than Express Drivers. I've never met an Express driver that claimed to do what Brown does on a daily basis. We don't have the Volume. Why are FedEx Ground drivers underpaid so severely when compared to a UPS Driver? What makes FedEx Ground such a great company to work for?
Who said it's a great company to work for?