Might go driving?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Johnny815, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Johnny815

Johnny815 New Member

Hi, everyone! I work in the hub here in Las Vegas. I know there's a driving course coming up here next month. However, from what I've heard, they're only hiring 15 drivers. After checking into HR, I found out I'm 19th on the list to go driving. My question is: How many people statistically don't qualify to go driving? I heard 1/3 of people don't qualify, but I'm not too sure on that. I thought I'd get a better answer from you guys. I really, really want this job!!

2. splozi

splozi Guest

Your qualification depends on how dirty your knees are.

3. Johnny815

Johnny815 New Member

Hmm.. so that's how you became a driver? Well, I guess every hub is different.

4. Goochy

Goochy Member

WE go though new guys like water ............. so I would go for it . Our last 3 did NOT make it !!! and that was in the last 4 months . We are getting 8 new guys NOW , and they are failing , or wrecking , or dropping out every DAY !! GO for it , if you are willing to take the SHAFT !!!! and bite your tongue daily ! BUT the pay is GOOD !

5. Johnny815

Johnny815 New Member

My mentality is this: If I can survive the first 30 days, things will get better; just like any other job. I'm just going to be kind of :censored2: off if I find out I didn't make the cut, and some of the guys that did ended up quitting. They're saying the next training class will be in 8-10 years...

6. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

...the next training class will be held depending upon a number of factors, to include retirements, terminations, separations and volume. 8-10 years seems high to me. Keep plugging away and your time will come.

7. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

Why ask here????

If a bunch do not make it, you will be the 1st to know, not us.

8. Johnny815

Johnny815 New Member

Our last training class was in 2006. As far as I have been told, it doesn't matter if some of the guys drop out or not. they won't have another training class for years. Which is why I wanted a better understanding of how many statistically don't qualify. But you're right, I could just be patient. The anticipation is killing me, though =/

9. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

If they need drivers, a class will form.

10. Goochy

Goochy Member

We are loosing 7-9 drivers soon !!!! Now a driving class is being held at my center on site !!! Never done that before , but they can not wait on normal class to start ! So I agree anything could change !

11. Logb17

Logb17 Member

Driving in Vegas? Don't think I could do it. Sweating your ass off year round would suck.

12. Johnny815

Johnny815 New Member

Imagine loading in trailers that get up to 140 degrees in the summer!!

13. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

Hiring 15 drivers now and no more for 8 to 10 years. Ya right .

14. Johnny815

Johnny815 New Member

It is what my manager told me. He called me into his office to discuss my safety and whatnot... and he asked me what I wanted to do with my life.. and if I was in school. I said, "I tried school out, it wasn't for me, and I want to go driving." He said, "well I don't mean to burst your bubble or anything, but you won't be a driver for 8-10 years." A couple months later I heard they were hiring more drivers. I was seriously considering joining the military until I heard this..