Military absence

Can someone on military absence have another person sign a preferred job sheet on their behalf? Or put into writing before they leave on absence?

Sent using BrownCafe App

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I tried looking it up for you but didn't see anything on that subject. I hate the damn books, they are like reading a bible in Latin. I'd ask a union steward or your business agent.

oldngray

nowhere special
Can someone on military absence have another person sign a preferred job sheet on their behalf? Or put into writing before they leave on absence?

Sent using BrownCafe App

I doubt it. UPS will hold a job for you but its very unlikely you would be able to bid on anything.

Cementups

Box Monkey
ARTICLE 15. MILITARY CLAUSE

Employees in service in the uniformed services of the United States, as defined by the provisions of the Uniform Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA), Title 38, U.S. Code Chapter 43, shall be granted all rights and privileges provided by USERRA and/or other applicable state and federal laws. This shall include continuation of health coverage as provided by USERRA, and pension contributions for the employee’s period of service, as provided by USERRA. Employees shall be subject to all obligations contained in USERRA which must be satisfied for the employees to be covered by the statute.

The Employer, in its discretion, may make additional payments or award additional benefits to employees on leave for service in the uniformed services in excess of the requirements outlined in the USERRA.

Upon notification from an employee that he/she is taking USER- RA-qualified military leave, the Employer shall notify the Local Union within five (5) business days.

Employees on USERRA-approved military leave shall continue to accrue vacation to be used upon return as set forth below. To be eligi- ble for accrual, employees must be (i) employed by UPS for at least one (1) year, (ii) be a member of the uniformed services at time of callup, and (iii) be called into active duty (other than for training) for a period of service exceeding thirty (30) days pursuant to any provi- sion of law because of a war or national emergency declared by the President of the United States or Congress. An eligible employee returning to work as per USERRA shall be entitled to annual vacation for the remainder of that contractual vacation period based on the number of weeks to which he/she is entitled for years of service and the quarter in the current contractual vacation period in which the employee returns from eligible military leave, as follows:

No. Wks Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 66431 55321 44321 33211 22111 (not fixing this*)

In no event shall the employee have less than one (1) week of vaca- tion available upon his/her return.

For the next contractual vacation period, the employee shall be credited with the vacation he would have accrued while he was on military leave. In no event shall the employee have less than he is entitled to based on total years of service under the applicable Supplement.

The treatment of unused vacation and the scheduling of the vacation shall be in accordance with the applicable Supplemental, Rider or Addendum.

Upon notification from an employee that he/she is taking USERRA qualified military leave, the Employer shall notify the Local Union within five (5) business days.

PT Car Washer

I remember 10 years ago when my Guard unit was called up and sent overseas. Local HR lady told me I would not have a job with UPS after I came back. She later lost her job during the District consolidations.

Overpaid Union Thug

If a job is bid while someone in the military is gone they are entitled to that job once they come back provided they have the seniority, are qualified to do the job, and aren't gone more than 5 years.

That, or something like that, was how it was explained to me in "Laymin's Terms" by the USERRA rep at one of the bases I was stationed at during my time in the guard/reserves.

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

I remember 10 years ago when my Guard unit was called up and sent overseas. Local HR lady told me I would not have a job with UPS after I came back. She later lost her job during the District consolidations.
I met a driver in Warner Robins when I was doing my "two weeks a year" gig at the base there that had been deployed (Marines I think) and passed up for a full-time package job while he was in Iraq. When he came back UPS didn't follow the law per USERRA and he had to fight them on the issue. Not only did he win but received a letter from corporate apologizing for the issue.

The USERRA rep at my first base told us he absolutely loved going to bat for reservists against their civilians employers. It was like being a hotshot lawyer that rarely loses in court. In fact, those employers that did actually fight it all the way to court were humiliated.