Military leave

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Most likely no. For all their talk about supporting the country they will still only do the minimum required.
Do you think it's fair that someone leaves to take an essentially FT job for 5 years and then come back right to their seniority spot? Don't get me wrong, I support the military members. Half of my sort is either reserve or former military. I've had a lot of Fridays where I'm missing someone because of drill. I've also had National Guard members deployed. But those guys are reserve. If you choose to join the military for a 5 year contract, you shouldn't expect your place to be held.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Dont worry about it you would have much better job prospects coming out of the military then part time package handler

trickpony1

The original poster needs to personally speak with the unit legal office to find out what the law says not what some internet forum or some HR twit that fancies his/herself as an expert on all things brown.

Have the legal officer show you in writing what the law says.

trickpony1

The OP may be yanking our chain.
One doesn't just waltz right into SF. I understand there are stringent (I used a big word) requirements for SF.

blkmamba

All depends how the 6 years is broken down-----if it is 4 years active and 2 years reserve, which is what most enlistments are, he should be all set.
I thought (and I could be wrong) that you had to be in the military before being hired by UPS. If you joined afterwards, there was no obligation to hold ones job.

UPSGUY72

The OP may be yanking our chain.
One doesn't just waltz right into SF. I understand there are stringent (I used a big word) requirements for SF.

Correct you don't walk into a special force's position you have to earn it. You first enlist then apply to go to specific school depend on which branch your in. You have to meet requirements to get accepted and then you have to pass the schools.

Also If you can't get a security clearance you have no chance that is a automatic disqualification...

UPSGUY72

Is that 4 years active and 2 years reserve? If so, yes, UPS will hold your job.

Unless you join the national guard if you enlist for 6 years it is all active. There are however certain MOS that are only attached to the national guard one being O9W which I was. Which is a warrant officer / Helicopter pilot.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Correct you don't walk into a special force's position you have to earn it. You first enlist then apply to go to specific school depend on which branch your in. You have to meet requirements to get accepted and then you have to pass the schools.

Also If you can't get a security clearance you have no chance that is a automatic disqualification...
It's possible that his recruiter is offering him a guaranteed slot at the Q course in exchange for a 6 year active duty contract, they have done that at various times over the years. You still have to complete basic training and your MOS school prior to getting the slot and there is no guarantee that you'll pass the course they have a pretty high attrition rate.

oldngray

nowhere special
It's possible that his recruiter is offering him a guaranteed slot at the Q course in exchange for a 6 year active duty contract, they have done that at various times over the years. You still have to complete basic training and your MOS school prior to getting the slot and there is no guarantee that you'll pass the course they have a pretty high attrition rate.

Recruiters are not always honest about what they promise.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Recruiters are not always honest about what they promise.
Yes and no. They might make it sound like they're guaranteeing you a specific job when all they're really guaranteeing is a chance to try out for it. Even if you don't make it they still have your ass for 6 years. It pays to read the fine print.