Military leave

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The person made the choice to leave and enlist. I support them and wish them nothing but the best. But choosing to join active duty military service is like choosing a new full time job.
The law says they can enlist and leave for up to 5 years, regardless of what you think.

Coalminer2005

The person made the choice to leave and enlist. I support them and wish them nothing but the best. But choosing to join active duty military service is like choosing a new full time job.
Nope. They are serving their country. Unfortunately not all are inclined nor courageous enough to do so. I wish him the best.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The law says they can enlist and leave for up to 5 years, regardless of what you think.

Nope. They are serving their country. Unfortunately not all are inclined nor courageous enough to do so. I wish him the best.

I served for 8 years but have to agree with Frigid on this one. If someone is working a FT job and then decides that they want to enlist full time in the armed forces they are in effect choosing a new career and their former employer should not be obligated to hold their position for them.

Overpaid Union Thug

If I was to go into the special forces and enlist for the 6 year req. Would ups keep my job past the 5 year requirement for military leave?

UPS is not required to hold your job after 5 years of active duty.
Do you think it's fair that someone leaves to take an essentially FT job for 5 years and then come back right to their seniority spot? Don't get me wrong, I support the military members. Half of my sort is either reserve or former military. I've had a lot of Fridays where I'm missing someone because of drill. I've also had National Guard members deployed. But those guys are reserve. If you choose to join the military for a 5 year contract, you shouldn't expect your place to be held.

LOL. The laws say otherwise. And UPS has tested those laws and have lost each and everyone in court that involved an employee that returned to UPS under the conditions set by those laws.

oldngray

nowhere special
UPS is not required to hold your job after 5 years of active duty.

LOL. The laws say otherwise. And UPS has tested those laws and have lost each and everyone in court that involved an employee that returned to UPS under the conditions set by those laws.

I never heard of a case like that going to court. Its an auto win for the employee and UPS knows it. They don't even hassle people about military leave other than typical unintentional screw ups by HR.

Overpaid Union Thug

I never heard of a case like that going to court. Its an auto win for the employee and UPS knows it. They don't even hassle people about military leave other than typical unintentional screw ups by HR.

Oh it happens. I've heard stories from two different USERRA reps at two different bases. Plus, a driver in the Warner Robins areas told me about his case. Remember this is corporate UPS we are talking about here. LOL!

UPSGUY72

After the five year date no employer has to hold a job for that joined the military. That is the law...

oldngray

nowhere special
After the five year date no employer has to hold a job for that joined the military. That is the law...

Correct. That is what Overpaid Union Thug said and I agreed with. Less than 5 years and UPS has to hold your job. Longer than that is a career move.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Actually they are letting people do that now, at least in the army.

*edit
Just checked and it looks like you can enlist with a guarantee to be a SEAL candidate as well.
I suppose that makes sense. It's been over 20 years since I went through the process.

Coalminer2005

I served for 8 years but have to agree with Frigid on this one. If someone is working a FT job and then decides that they want to enlist full time in the armed forces they are in effect choosing a new career and their former employer should not be obligated to hold their position for them.
I disagree but I do thank you for your honorable service.

peanutbuttermm

Correct. That is what Overpaid Union Thug said and I agreed with. Less than 5 years and UPS has to hold your job. Longer than that is a career move.
Exceptions to the 5-year limit can be grouped into three broad categories:

Unable (through no fault of the individual) to obtain release from service or service in excess of five years to fulfill an initial period of obligated service (generally imposed on Active component aviators or others who undergo extensive initial training in certain technical military specialties).
Required drills and annual training and other training duty certified by the military to be necessary for professional development or skill training/retraining.
Service performed during time of war or national emergency or for other critical missions/contingencies/military requirements. Involuntary service of this type is exempt from the 5-year limit. Voluntary service in support of the mission/contingency/military requirement is also exempt. (Section 4312).
Wouldn't this cover a seal initial enlistment of 6 years? Or the fact that seals may have to receive specialized training for critical missions?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Exceptions to the 5-year limit can be grouped into three broad categories:

Unable (through no fault of the individual) to obtain release from service or service in excess of five years to fulfill an initial period of obligated service (generally imposed on Active component aviators or others who undergo extensive initial training in certain technical military specialties).
Required drills and annual training and other training duty certified by the military to be necessary for professional development or skill training/retraining.
Service performed during time of war or national emergency or for other critical missions/contingencies/military requirements. Involuntary service of this type is exempt from the 5-year limit. Voluntary service in support of the mission/contingency/military requirement is also exempt. (Section 4312).
Wouldn't this cover a seal initial enlistment of 6 years? Or the fact that seals may have to receive specialized training for critical missions?
If you've read through USERRA and you're still not clear on it you should talk to a military lawyer.