Military options and pay progression.

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by platinum9898, Aug 16, 2014.

1. platinum9898

platinum9898 Active Member

Hey guys i have a question. I've been looking into the military. If i go out let's say 4 years does my pay progression stay in effect? Like after i do my tour and come back to work will i be at top rate?

Sent using BrownCafe App
  2. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Yes. Just like you never left.
  3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Are you sure about that? I know they have to hold a job for him but did not know that he would come back to what could be a very significant pay raise.
  4. PT Car Washer

Google USERRA Act. The employer must give you all raises and promotions and seniority you would have gained if you had not gone away for military service. I don't know why some of you want to penalize a person for doing his duty for his country. It is a very small percentage of Americans who have ever served.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. jibbs

jibbs Long Live the Chief

I've always thought it funny that enlisting is considered doing your duty for the country. Enlistment isn't mandatory. No body in this country has a duty to their country until they enlist. The slogan's basically "Come to America! Other people will pay for you!"

I'm actually pro-military and wish I would've joined myself before I :censored2:ed my eligibility over with my particular legal history. Just something I always found funny, is all.
  6. PT Car Washer

Defending the country and the Constitution is every citizens duty.
  7. jibbs

jibbs Long Live the Chief

I disagree. You would think it would be implied but, in practice, I'd argue an American citizen's only duties are to pay taxes, participate in jury duty when called upon, and follow federal, state, local and municipal laws throughout the nation.

Anything other than that is extraneous for the average citizen and not the duty of every single American in this country. I really do wish every citizen were required to enlist at one point or another in their early Adulthood, but that's just not the case.
  8. you aint even know it

you aint even know it Well-Known Troll Troll

Was very close to joining the navy at 17 yrs old, decided that army life wasnt for me.
  9. burrheadd

burrheadd Superstar

Especially if you had joined the Navy

Sent using BrownCafe App
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

You would have been surrounded by seamen.
  11. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

:rofl: and socks
  12. bleedinbrown58

You really don't know wtf you're babbling ya?
  13. aiian

aiian Active Member

Doesn't he have to already be in the .mil to keep his job? IE he's in the reserves or NG and is deployed some where for 18 months.

I didn't think you could leave for the service then come back like nothing happened.
  14. aiian

aiian Active Member

OP, do yourself a favor if you do enlist.... join the AF or the Navy.

The quality of life is far better than the others.
  15. bleedinbrown58

You can in my local. A PTer who's a few months ahead of me in seniority....left ups 5 years ago when he enlisted in the Navy. He came back about a year all his pay raises and keep his seniority...just like he was here the whole time.
  16. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

You can join the NG after being hired at UPS and you would still have the same rights to keep your job at UPS if you get deployed.
  17. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Eva Mendez Has A Nice (_!_)

You can enlist for active duty or the guard/reserves and request to have your job held up to 5 years. That's what I did. Actually, there are more than a few in my center who have.

Sent using BrownCafe App
  18. aiian

aiian Active Member

Interesting. I did not know it worked that way.
  19. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Eva Mendez Has A Nice (_!_)

As soon as I found out I went to a recruiter. I needed a break from working a fulltime job and nights at UPS. And I still wasn't 100% sure UPS was what I wanted for a career.

Sent using BrownCafe App
  20. aiian

aiian Active Member

If you're smart you'd get hired at UPS straight out of HS, enlist then come home with 4 yrs. of seniority.

Not to many kids grow up dreaming of being a UPSer though.