Military Service

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
I'm surprised to hear your not prior active duty, this is the response we typically get from them. "Weekend Warriors" they say....

Whatever.

I am prior active duty service. 1996-2002 USS Belleau-wood LHA-3 (RIP) USS Essex LHD-2. Stationed in Japan. Enlisted E-5 Firecontrolman (weapons system tech not fires that burn) 2nd class. I have some cred... I think.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
I am prior active duty service. 1996-2002 USS Belleau-wood LHA-3 (RIP) USS Essex LHD-2. Stationed in Japan. Enlisted E-5 Firecontrolman (weapons system tech not fires that burn) 2nd class. I have some cred... I think.

Justification of my point. Typical AD demeanor, does not respect his brother in arms.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You might be a good soldier, but most of your other brothers? Not in my opinion.

And just how would you know that? Have you done some sort of large scale survey, rating the tens of thousands of reservists againt their active duty counterparts? Are you even qualified to have an opinion on who is a good soldier and who is not? As an E-5 firecontrolman I seriously doubt it, since you weren't even qualified to rate the guys you worked directly with. Although I'm sure you had an "opinion" :wink:

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
And just how would you know that? Have you done some sort of large scale survey, rating the tens of thousands of reservists againt their active duty counterparts? Are you even qualified to have an opinion on who is a good soldier and who is not? As an E-5 firecontrolman I seriously doubt it, since you weren't even qualified to rate the guys you worked directly with. Although I'm sure you had an "opinion" :wink:

My opinion formed when I saw the clowns that got activated after September 11th and assigned to the base. Mass individual suicide attempts, medical malingering and highest pregnancy rate in 7th fleet soon followed.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
My opinion formed when I saw the clowns that got activated after September 11th and assigned to the base. Mass individual suicide attempts, medical malingering and highest pregnancy rate in 7th fleet soon followed.
Can you document any of this? How many actual suicide attempts? How much of a percentage increase was it over suicide attempts in the previous quarter? What does the Navy have to say about the root causes, if indeed there actually was an increase?

Define "medical malingering" for us (I know what it means, not everyone on this board has served in the military though). How were you in a position to know that it increased post september11th, I thought you were a firecontrolman, not a corpsman? Or did you just spend a lot time hanging around sickbay?

You are basically slandering tens of thousands of reservists who volunteered to serve their country, so I'm sure you'll understand that I'm not just going to take the word of some guy who answers phones for UPS.

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
Can you document any of this? How many actual suicide attempts? How much of a percentage increase was it over suicide attempts in the previous quarter? What does the Navy have to say about the root causes, if indeed there actually was an increase?

Define "medical malingering" for us (I know what it means, not everyone on this board has served in the military though). How were you in a position to know that it increased post september11th, I thought you were a firecontrolman, not a corpsman? Or did you just spend a lot time hanging around sickbay?

You are basically slandering tens of thousands of reservists who volunteered to serve their country, so I'm sure you'll understand that I'm not just going to take the word of some guy who answers phones for UPS.

I suppose there is an NCIS report somewhere in the back of a drawer, stuck to someones shoe or whatever that outlines an investigation into the pregnancy rate. NCIS was supposedly trying to pin it on a "new" prostitution ring according to some MAA (Navy Police) people that used to work with me. Of course you never hear anything about it because no one is supposed to know. I'm no corpsman but when we were in port we had to borrow corpsman to the base clinic because they were overrun. There were enough suicide attempts that we got some extra training on using the chaplains and your chain of command to help your personal life through difficult situations.

I obviously can't produce hard evidence. Thats silly to ask for it. I don't have any reason to lie about it. Its my opinion formed on my observations of situations I was involved with.

Malingering. My definition. Constantly whining about some phantom injury or something that has been taken care of for the purpose of being placed on light duty or removed from your current duty and place in something more favorable.

I'll take on all attackers and I won't back down about my feelings on reservists in general.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I obviously can't produce hard evidence.
Not surprising.
Thats silly to ask for it.
You're slandering an awful lot of good people that you don't even know, why is it silly to ask for some proof to back up your slander?
I don't have any reason to lie about it.
Sure you do, it's a way for you to make yourself sound better than other people. It's not working.
Its my opinion formed on my observations of situations I was involved with.
You were a low ranking firecontrolman on a ship. Now you answer the phones for UPS. Your "opinion" in this matter don't mean much without some supporting evidence, of which you have none.
Malingering. My definition. Constantly whining about some phantom injury or something that has been taken care of for the purpose of being placed on light duty or removed from your current duty and place in something more favorable.
Wow, you've impressed us all with your medical knowledge. And how many cases of "malingering" did you diagnose, doctor? Oh that's right, you're not a doctor.
I'll take on all attackers and I won't back down about my feelings on reservists in general.

Go get'em, tiger. You're doing great....

rngri4

I do :cool:

I really don't care for reservists who were never active. The reality of the reservist is you get activated to stupid things like security, supply and admin stuff. And your training is so horrible that if you are working with the regulars they just tell you to go sit on your hands in the corner and shut-up.

Wow, you have shown you really are stupid by these comments, I am in the reserves as an officer, and was in the regular Army before that, I have over 300 jumps right now, and can sure beat your but any day...because I am a Ranger, and will always be the rest of my life.....squid.

rngri4

Big Cred's there...you must have actually made Cpl. Your credentials are nothing, have you ever actually seen combat? Probably not, well I have, many times, and I can assure you, regular duty or not, the reservists get the same, and the highest standard of training anyone else does, next time, don't go shooting off your mouth before you know the whole story, you are obviously not qualified.

rngri4

I suppose there is an NCIS report somewhere in the back of a drawer, stuck to someones shoe or whatever that outlines an investigation into the pregnancy rate. NCIS was supposedly trying to pin it on a "new" prostitution ring according to some MAA (Navy Police) people that used to work with me. Of course you never hear anything about it because no one is supposed to know. I'm no corpsman but when we were in port we had to borrow corpsman to the base clinic because they were overrun. There were enough suicide attempts that we got some extra training on using the chaplains and your chain of command to help your personal life through difficult situations.

I obviously can't produce hard evidence. Thats silly to ask for it. I don't have any reason to lie about it. Its my opinion formed on my observations of situations I was involved with.

Scuttlebut isn't fact...first thing everyone learns in the Navy. By the way, go SEALS, just don't have time for this idiot.

Overpaid Union Thug

"Hey settle down! You can't dispute the fact that you are a "reservist" if you are really all about serving your country step up to the plate and go active all the time, be a regular. GO NAVY , I think they still accept prior service."

I don't see what the big deal is about active duty. I ws active duty first. With the exception of deploying into combat active duty is a cake walk. You put on a uniform every day and go to work and do your job and go home. You get paid whether you were out sick or not. You get free housing, free food, and if you are married you realling make bank. You get free college tuition while you are on active duty as well as after. If you marry someone else in the military they still give BOTH the extra money for rent. Most Guard and Reservists actually deploy as much, if not more, than their active duty counterparts. So to me it doesn't sound like Guard and Reserves are putting less effort into serving their country.

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
I don't know that I have anything to say. Jones wants evidence that you'd have to be the FBI to get and rngri4 well, I don't have much to say about he has to say other than I want proof that he is indeed a reserve officer since everyone wants proof from me. I don't mind the personal attacks but I'm sure its technically against the rules, but I haven't read them. It went from discussion to a peronal flame war against me. I encourage people to put this back into discussion mode because my flame retardant suit is getting hot.

retired2000

well as a 20 year retired reservist i say go for it. i did join ups after i did basic so i can not answer what ups pays for there. but the rest of my 20 years were done while i was working for big brown. besides having to give you the 2 weeks off every year for training you have your regular vacation time coming. when i worked pre-load my sup would let me out early on drill weekends so could go home and get some sleep. i was called to duty for the gulf war and ups treated my family very well. they even made up the diference in my pay.
upsnathan send me private message and i will tell more.

retired2000

voiceof reason. did you know that there are more reservist then active duty people? our training in years past was not that great. when i first joined the reserves back in 1969 we would do nothing on drill weekends. but sometime in the late 70's all of that changed. in desert storm do you know who the first troops were to breach saddams trenchs? it was a MARINE reserve unit from right here in syr ny. if our training was not up to snuf do you think any reserve unit would of been the first to cross the line.
semper fi.

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
oh one more thing. why in the navy do they use liquid soap instead of bar soap in the showers?

think about it.

The real reason is the liquid soap leaves less soap scum to gunk up the showers and pipes. But in the fleet people use whatever they want. I never used bar soap because if you dropped it (no you don't get it in the butt when you bend over) your soap fell on the nastiest floor ever and could not be used again for fear of disease.

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
voiceof reason. did you know that there are more reservist then active duty people? our training in years past was not that great. when i first joined the reserves back in 1969 we would do nothing on drill weekends. but sometime in the late 70's all of that changed. in desert storm do you know who the first troops were to breach saddams trenchs? it was a MARINE reserve unit from right here in syr ny. if our training was not up to snuf do you think any reserve unit would of been the first to cross the line.
semper fi.

You know what I woke up this morning and I must have benn thinking about this in my sleep. I was thinking the years surrounding Sept 11 2001 were not too active for the reservists outside of like Bosnia there was little chance of being activated and its entirely possible that training was lax. That was 5 years ago and I would like to believe that "todays" reservists have probably been training their butts off the last few years due to the situation we are in. I haven't seen an activated reservist since 2002.

So I will partially backtrack on the premise that I believe that reservist training or lack of it has a lot to do with the possibility of being activated.

Happy now?! :tongue_sm I CAN admit when I might be wrong.

And once again I can't prove any of this but it is a reasonable belief.

rngri4

You know what I woke up this morning and I must have benn thinking about this in my sleep. I was thinking the years surrounding Sept 11 2001 were not too active for the reservists outside of like Bosnia there was little chance of being activated and its entirely possible that training was lax. That was 5 years ago and I would like to believe that "todays" reservists have probably been training their butts off the last few years due to the situation we are in. I haven't seen an activated reservist since 2002.

So I will partially backtrack on the premise that I believe that reservist training or lack of it has a lot to do with the possibility of being activated.

Happy now?! :tongue_sm I CAN admit when I might be wrong.

And once again I can't prove any of this but it is a reasonable belief.

Why don't you admit you were wrong pre 9-11 when the tech school and basic they received was the same?

rngri4

I don't know that I have anything to say. Jones wants evidence that you'd have to be the FBI to get and rngri4 well, I don't have much to say about he has to say other than I want proof that he is indeed a reserve officer since everyone wants proof from me. I don't mind the personal attacks but I'm sure its technically against the rules, but I haven't read them. It went from discussion to a peronal flame war against me. I encourage people to put this back into discussion mode because my flame retardant suit is getting hot.

I would be happy to send you proof, no problem at all here. You are still wet behind the ears, just PM me a fax number. My military record is over 60 pages long though, can you handle that? I started out enlisted, and then went to college, and got a commision, and now, I eat pukes like you for a midday snack.