Military Service

H

Hey Load!

UPSNathan,
I say go for it! I'm retired active duty USAF. Saw action in Panama, Somolia, Desert storm, and a bunch of other smile*holes. Also worked with HIANG as an active duty advisor 3 years. Lets just say I was glad I was Active! Guard and reserves get training as good and pull more than their own weight in deployments. Desert Storm wouldn't have been possible without the ANG?Reserves. They had the newer planes to move the Army equipment for the "Hail Mary" that the old worn out Active duty folks didn't. Take it from the old vets and pay no mind to the voice of insanity. If it was so good, why did he bail after 6 years? Oh, I forgot - "Don't ask:don't tell"

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
Take it from the old vets and pay no mind to the voice of insanity. If it was so good, why did he bail after 6 years? Oh, I forgot - "Don't ask:don't tell"

Ha, well if you must know here is the timeline on my career. 3 weeks after HS I was at bootcamp. Did six years active, which is what I signed up for, I was 24 when I got out, I went straight to college, I got a 4 year degree in 4 years which puts me at my current age, 28. I went to the active military to do my part, to get the college money and bang a ton of whores.

I've succeded in all three of my goals. And as long as you do your whole enlistment there is nothing wrong with seperating and going to college to better yourself.

newguy22

UPSNathan,
I say go for it! I'm retired active duty USAF. Saw action in Panama, Somolia, Desert storm, and a bunch of other smile*holes. Also worked with HIANG as an active duty advisor 3 years. Lets just say I was glad I was Active! Guard and reserves get training as good and pull more than their own weight in deployments. Desert Storm wouldn't have been possible without the ANG?Reserves. They had the newer planes to move the Army equipment for the "Hail Mary" that the old worn out Active duty folks didn't. Take it from the old vets and pay no mind to the voice of insanity. If it was so good, why did he bail after 6 years? Oh, I forgot - "Don't ask:don't tell"

Thanks man. When you say go for it do you mean go ahead and do active?

Joopster

Boxline Sorter

I say go guard. In ohio we have 100% tuition paid. I also get the Gibill which used to be 297/month + my 350/month kicker...I was activated for 2+ years. Now they just passed the Chapter 1607 benefits which means that I will receive more money for my Gibill per month. The VA decided to up me to Chapter 30 which is what the active duty guys get a month for school.

When all is said and done I make twice as much going to school then I do working at UPS....

Do it. So far it has been the best experience of my life. Reserves, guard, active, whatever you choose, it will be a great thing for you and cannot be compared to anything else career wise in this world. Do it while your young and able.

H

Hey Load

You're welcome. I mean look at your options and decide which is best for your life. Either way you are doing your part by serving. You can always go active from ANG/Res or from active to ANG/Res after your initial tour. Downside of 20+ active is being in your 40s trying to get a grip in the civilian sector - totally different world.

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
I say go guard. In ohio we have 100% tuition paid. I also get the Gibill which used to be 297/month + my 350/month kicker...I was activated for 2+ years. Now they just passed the Chapter 1607 benefits which means that I will receive more money for my Gibill per month. The VA decided to up me to Chapter 30 which is what the active duty guys get a month for school.

My last GI Bill payment was $1601. I got that every month for being on active. I'm thinking you didn't even crack $1000. So over 36 payments its not the same as active.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
My last GI Bill payment was $1601. I got that every month for being on active. I'm thinking you didn't even crack $1000. So over 36 payments its not the same as active.

You've seen my payments?

First off I was considered for Chapter 1607. This was just passed. The VA office has called me on two occassions to verify that I wanted to be upgrade to CHAPTER 30 GIBILL.

I asked if I still receive my kicker. They said yes. From what I understand from the VA reps, when they finally finish processing my paperwork, I will receive the AD GIBILL and my 350/month kicker payment.

36x1600 = 57600 What you received in education benefits or somewhere thereabouts.

36x(1075 +350) = 51300 Money I receive cash for things other than school.

School costs 3 quarters a year at 4 years is 12 quarters. Current cost is 2,576.00/quarter.

12x2576.00 = 30912
+51300
=82212.00 compare that to 57500, it is quite a difference.

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
You've seen my payments?

First off I was considered for Chapter 1607. This was just passed. The VA office has called me on two occassions to verify that I wanted to be upgrade to CHAPTER 30 GIBILL.

I asked if I still receive my kicker. They said yes. From what I understand from the VA reps, when they finally finish processing my paperwork, I will receive the AD GIBILL and my 350/month kicker payment.

36x1600 = 57600 What you received in education benefits or somewhere thereabouts.

36x(1075 +350) = 51300 Money I receive cash for things other than school.

School costs 3 quarters a year at 4 years is 12 quarters. Current cost is 2,576.00/quarter.

12x2576.00 = 30912
+51300
=82212.00 compare that to 57500, it is quite a difference.

That 51,300 is all you are going to get. The VA rep at school certifies that you are taking at least 12 credits for full time. You then recieve the full rate you are entitled to. You don't get 2 checks like you have it mapped out in your mind you don't get a living expenses check and a school check. You get one check for your entitlement every month that you are in school up to 36 full payments. Whatever is left after tuition is your spending money for food gas rent car whatever. They don't track it or pay you any more based on whatever these expenses are.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
That 51,300 is all you are going to get. The VA rep at school certifies that you are taking at least 12 credits for full time. You then recieve the full rate you are entitled to. You don't get 2 checks like you have it mapped out in your mind you don't get a living expenses check and a school check. You get one check for your entitlement every month that you are in school up to 36 full payments. Whatever is left after tuition is your spending money for food gas rent car whatever. They don't track it or pay you any more based on whatever these expenses are.

You are naive.

I just got done telling you how it works for ANG in OHIO.

Our tuition is 100% paid for. On top of that I receive GIBILL payments for COLA, CAR PAYMENT, whatever I feel like using it for.

I was upgraded to CHAPTER 30 because of the time I served on active duty. Look up CHAPTER 1607, it is a new benefit just passed for activated reservists.

Once again, your WRONG!

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
You are naive.

I just got done telling you how it works for ANG in OHIO.

Our tuition is 100% paid for. On top of that I receive GIBILL payments for COLA, CAR PAYMENT, whatever I feel like using it for.

I was upgraded to CHAPTER 30 because of the time I served on active duty. Look up CHAPTER 1607, it is a new benefit just passed for activated reservists.

Once again, your WRONG!

The GI Bill you get while still in is not as much as you think and it robs from when you get out and could pull more.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
The GI Bill you get while still in is not as much as you think and it robs from when you get out and could pull more.

I have less than a year of school left, under ONGSP (Ohio National Guard Scholarship Program) you must be in school and in the guard to use it. No saving it until after you leave. I understand that is how AD works.

I am pulling the max that I can from being in the guard, receiving the gibill money each month, working at UPS, and doing my guard drills once a month...

All in all, the best decision I made.

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
I have less than a year of school left, under ONGSP (Ohio National Guard Scholarship Program) you must be in school and in the guard to use it. No saving it until after you leave. I understand that is how AD works.

I am pulling the max that I can from being in the guard, receiving the gibill money each month, working at UPS, and doing my guard drills once a month...

All in all, the best decision I made.

As long as you're happy but the numbers you are talking about above and beyond the 50k are sketchy to me, but then again I don't live in Ohio.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
As long as you're happy but the numbers you are talking about above and beyond the 50k are sketchy to me, but then again I don't live in Ohio.
Section 2 letter b.

100% of tuition charges.

$10,152.00 cash for full-time students through the Montgomery GI Bill.

These numbers will be a little different, that is the straight GIBILL, I receive the kicker and now the AD GIBILL.

Does this prove it to jack***?

Last edited by a moderator:

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
Section 2 letter b.

100% of tuition charges.

$10,152.00 cash for full-time students through the Montgomery GI Bill.

These numbers will be a little different, that is the straight GIBILL, I receive the kicker and now the AD GIBILL.

Does this prove it to you jack***?

The only person being a "*****" and a "*******" in this thread is you. I'm not calling names I'm just questioning the validity of your claims of vast riches for doing next to nothing while the full time people get screwed.

rngri4

The only person beiing a "***" and a "*******" in this thread is you. I'm not calling names I'm just questioning the validity of your claims of vast riches for doing next to nothing while the full time people get screwed.

I think he is answering your claims of validity more than well, you are just to dumb or naive to check it, he has provided you links, check them out then apologize, or are you to good for that? You are talking about the GI Bill, he is talking about another program, that is in OHIO, some sort of Scholarship program, you ran off your mouth without reading that part.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
I think he is answering your claims of validity more than well, you are just to dumb or naive to check it, he has provided you links, check them out then apologize, or are you to good for that? You are talking about the GI Bill, he is talking about another program, that is in OHIO, some sort of Scholarship program, you ran off your mouth without reading that part.

I get both programs.

Both the ONGSP, part of the national guard and the GIBILL. GIBILL in the guard works differently than active duty.

While AD personnel receive their GIBILL check and apply that towards there tuition, my tuition is paid for AND I receive a check. Yes I make 2400/month going to school fulltime and working two part time jobs. Or as VOICEOFREASON says, for doing next to nothing. Maybe we need to bust out the ribbon bars to compare your active duty navy to the accomplishments of our little next to nothing guard unit.....

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is

It still does not make sense to pay part-timers more than full-timers

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
I get both programs.

Both the ONGSP, part of the national guard and the GIBILL. GIBILL in the guard works differently than active duty.

While AD personnel receive their GIBILL check and apply that towards there tuition, my tuition is paid for AND I receive a check. Yes I make 2400/month going to school fulltime and working two part time jobs. Or as VOICEOFREASON says, for doing next to nothing. Maybe we need to bust out the ribbon bars to compare your active duty navy to the accomplishments of our little next to nothing guard unit.....

3 full rows. I was forward deployed so we were involved in every little back page news skirmish relief effort there was.

But we are talking GI Bill and education money. What does Ohio do for Active duty people? Some states like Oklahoma and Texas give free state school tuition. There has to be something to offset what the reservists get