Military spouse transfer

clean hairy

My thought would be to check with you local, and see if there might be something in the contract or your supplement which might cover this.
I doubt this is the first time this has ever come up in the history of the company.

Bottom rung

Does it matter?
If the spouse is a member of the Armed Forces then it should be different than the kid that just wants a change of scenery and uses the "educational transfer" song and dance to do it.
This is something that needs to added to our contract. Not negotiated, the company should do these things to retain emoloyees.

Bottom rung

What makes you believe the company wants to retain PT hourly employees? They do everything to make employees quit. Union isn't much help either.
I know full well that they don't want to retain any employees, especially a vested one. Just think of how much money the company would save if managers actually managed instead of trying to fire hard working employees. They should be fired for stealing time.

km3

What makes you believe the company wants to retain PT hourly employees? They do everything to make employees quit. Union isn't much help either.

I agree with both of you. In theory, for a job as hard as this, they'd want to keep as many employees on as they can...especially when the hourly rate barely rivals that of McDonald's. In reality, UPS seems to loathe everybody on the operations level...from my perspective anyway.

Just because both the union and UPS want high turnover to be the norm, doesn't mean they're on the same page though. Depending on the local, I don't think the union wants PT employees to last more than a month or so. That maximizes their income from inititation fees ($250, $25/10 weeks in my local) by replacing one new hire with another every month or so. High short-term turnover means they have a constant stream of money coming in.

The company wants PT employees to last between 3 and 9 months, so they can maximize their investment in recruiting and training, but so they don't end up getting their insurance or other paid benefits at the 1 year mark.

Neither seem to be familiar with the concept of "be careful what you wish for."

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've

I've done the educational Transfer successfully a few times but was just wondering if anyone had done a military spouse transfer. Its not as many hoops to jump.

Actually it would be many more hoops.

I still think your spouse's Unit Commander or JAG could call HR and persuade them to let you transfer.

Neither of those agencies would waste their time on a PTer.

trickpony1

claychick-
You may have noticed that Dave has a disdain for PTer's to the extent that he said they weren't in a profession.

Be patient and understanding with Dave. It appears the new Dave didn't last very long.

EDIT: ....and Dave was never a PTer.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No but Dave was 8 years active duty and went through the same process for my (ex) wife. She is an RN and they were very helpful in finding her suitable employment.

I doubt they would do the same for a PT employee, regardless of occupation or employer.

trickpony1

A RN here can be a RN there.
If your ex was a RN on base I could understand your point but I don't think she was.

Let me narrow my scope.
I'm suggesting the OP's spouse CO, Unit Commander or JAG could exert influence towards the HR at the desired UPS facility.

Just the simple fact that the base helped your ex in employment elsewhere suggest they the have a department, person, unit or auxillary (yes, I misspelled it)to do so.

Please don't miss my point.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A RN here can be a RN there.
If your ex was a RN on base I could understand your point but I don't think she was.

Let me narrow my scope.
I'm suggesting the OP's spouse CO, Unit Commander or JAG could exert influence towards the HR at the desired UPS facility.

Just the simple fact that the base helped your ex in employment elsewhere suggest they the have a department, person, unit or auxillary (yes, I misspelled it)to do so.

Please don't miss my point.

Your point is not missed; however, please don't dismiss mine so quickly.

The military will not waste their time and energy trying to secure employment for a PT non-professional employee.