Military Transitioning Back To UPS

NavyUPSer

Is their anybody on here who can tell me how the process goes for getting back in? I signed all the paperwork before I left for the military for them to take me back after 4 years. I just wanna know if it's a process for me to start back working. Do I just go there when I get outta the military & say, "I'm ready to come back to UPS", then I would start the next day, or would I tell them & it would take a week to a month to start working again?

rod

Retired 22 years
Thank you for your service!

I hope your transition goes well and the company upholds it's commitment to our returning Veterans.

I don't think they have a choice---as far as I know they are obligated to take you back if you left on good terms. I would advise the OP to check first and if its kosher take a month off between jobs to get his mind geared up for civilian life again.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
My son worked for UPS for several years, then went into the navy, came out and he had a certain amount of time to go back to ups (they won't wait forever for you to come back) He started back with them. There was some disagreement about either his rate of pay or his seniority, but they ironed it out.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
10. What is the time frame within which a person has to report back to work or apply for reinstatement?
For periods of service of up to 30 consecutive days, the person must report back to work for the first full regularly scheduled work period on the first full calendar day following the completion of the period of service and safe transportation home, plus an 8-hour period for rest. If reporting back within this deadline is "impossible or unreasonable" through no fault of the employee, he or she must report back as soon as possible after the expiration of the 8-hour period.

After a period of service of 31-180 days, the person must submit a written or verbal application for reemployment with the employer not later than 14 days after the completion of the period of service. If submitting the application within 14 days is impossible or unreasonable through no fault of the employee, he or she must submit the application as soon as possible thereafter.

After a period of service of 181 days or more, the person must submit an application for reemployment not later than 90 days after completion of the period of service. These deadlines to report to work or apply for reemployment can be extended up to two years to accommodate a period during which a person was hospitalized for or convalescing from an injury or illness that occurred or was aggravated during a period of military service. (Section 4312)

In either case, the person does not automatically forfeit the right to reemployment, but will be "subject to the conduct rules, established policy, and general practices of the employer pertaining to explanations and discipline with respect to absence from scheduled work." (Section 4312).

source

Overpaid Union Thug

Is their anybody on here who can tell me how the process goes for getting back in? I signed all the paperwork before I left for the military for them to take me back after 4 years. I just wanna know if it's a process for me to start back working. Do I just go there when I get outta the military & say, "I'm ready to come back to UPS", then I would start the next day, or would I tell them & it would take a week to a month to start working again?
All I did was call the center and told them I was coming back. I chose what day I started. About a week after I started back the center manager told me to bring a copy of my DD214. That's all I remember.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Good advice.

I will bring a copy of mine to work with me on Veteran's Day as many of our local restaurants offer free meals to vets and I plan on eating out that night after work.

Thanks for 8 years of voluntary service to this country.

I'm impressed that your local businesses show their appreciation to veterans.