"MINIMIZE YOUR # OF BACKS.."

NonDeliverOtherMissed

In most states it's against the law to coast in neutral, so you're breaking the law just to hide a meaningless number from your management team. In addition you're misleading your management team about how many times a day you need to back which is just going to make the problem worse.
I'm not saying just coast backwards just to do it..I run a rural route from time to time, lots of long driveways. Some driveways are pretty tight and might require u to do an 8 point turn to turn around. I'm just saying if it's on a slope and u can put it in neutral to coast back 3 or 4 feet-then do that instead of getting 8 backing occurrences on ur telematic report.

NonDeliverOtherMissed

why is this a horrible idea? his back was obviously necessary or else why would he do it, and he is doing it under the radar keeping management of his ass. i dont see the problem. its not like we go out and just back up all willy nilly like for no reason at all
Exactly my man. It's about one thing staying BELOW the radar. You all know-one thing, no matter how big or small, management will just keep nit-picking, one thing leads to the next. It's about avoiding management as much as possible. Just wanna go to work, do my job, and go home everyday. Not deal with stupid :censored2: all the time.

Holydriver

In most states it's against the law to coast in neutral, so you're breaking the law just hide a meaningless number from your management team. In addition you're misleading your management team about how many times a day you need to back which is just going to make the problem worse.
in all states its illegal to drive over the speed limit but everyone does it. and as far as management knowing the number of backs you need, this point has a lot of issues, but ill just say this, management gives you a backing goal to meet that is in accordance with past performance on your route. in my center, after orion came around, stop counts went up drastically. lets say a country route that used to be heavy at 105 stops now typically goes out with 120. so stop count goes up, but backing goal doesnt. furthermore, the delivery areas on our routes change day to day. its the same route, but it covers entirely different areas

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
in all states its illegal to drive over the speed limit but everyone does it. and as far as management knowing the number of backs you need, this point has a lot of issues, but ill just say this, management gives you a backing goal to meet that is in accordance with past performance on your route. in my center, after orion came around, stop counts went up drastically. lets say a country route that used to be heavy at 105 stops now typically goes out with 120. so stop count goes up, but backing goal doesnt. furthermore, the delivery areas on our routes change day to day. its the same route, but it covers entirely different areas
I don't, and I'm not the only one by a long shot. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with the rest of your post, backing goals don't matter period. When someone gets a warning letter for exceeding their "backing goal" let us know.

underworked1

Really tight cul de sac and I'll back twice to get turned. I could do it in one but that would put me close to mailboxes or limbs. It'll show two backs but it was less risk than one...numbers don't always tell the whole story.

Holydriver

Really tight cul de sac and I'll back twice to get turned. I could do it in one but that would put me close to mailboxes or limbs. It'll show two backs but it was less risk than one...numbers don't always tell the whole story.
Exactly, both your backs were necessary. One could argue the second wasn't, but safety and avoiding am accident trumps whatever argument management could bring

Holydriver

I don't, and I'm not the only one by a long shot. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with the rest of your post, backing goals don't matter period. When someone gets a warning letter for exceeding their "backing goal" let us know.
If backing goals didn't matter to UPS (period) we wouldn't hear about it almost daily.

Holydriver

How long have you been driving?
At least a couple of years. Long enough to know what does and doesn't matter for me to follow. Please understand that I back as much as I want. And I do everything as I see fit. Just so I get my deliveries made I'm happy with my day. I don't care about backing at all. I'm over in backing andiles daily. I don't stress it. But I'm smart enough to know that telematics matters to UPS in some form or another

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If you been driving a couple years then you should know that trying to hide what you're doing out on route is never a good plan. Back when necessary and let the chips fall where they may, don't worry about their backing goals is all I'm saying.

El Correcto

god is dead
I've learned this little trick of hitting reverse hard at first then popping it into neutral and letting the car roll.(I'm in standard) They haven't been bitching at me for a while so it either works or they found someone else to :censored2: on for a while.

porkwagon

I try not to back much, but sometimes I back more than whatever my goal is and my supervisor approaches me with her report and tells me about it. I respond, "You bet." Sometimes I get bitched at for backing at the head spinning speed of 4 mph. My response is an eye roll.

Whats 9.5?

I guess lately, the # of backs in my center has went up a bit. How many times a day do they want you backing, on average? Last I heard, it's 27 here. Couple days ago we had a few guys with 50+ backs. I'm guessing that a few of these temp guys (that often times may not know where they're going) are also racking up a lot of backs.

"To me, the R doesn't stand for reverse, it stands for RISK."
Cute quote, from this morning.
The backing thing is a joke in my opinion. Yes you might be more likely to hit something but either you can drive or you can't. My backing goal is 45 but for me it doesn't matter. The telematics wire in my truck is ripped out of the dash. I'm pretty sure someone in management did it because the backing on my route is ridiculous. It is nice to never have to deal with telematics BS tho......unless my truck gets pulled for something.

Whats 9.5?

I try not to back much, but sometimes I back more than whatever my goal is and my supervisor approaches me with her report and tells me about it. I respond, "You bet." Sometimes I get bitched at for backing at the head spinning speed of 4 mph. My response is an eye roll.
Our max backing speed is supposed to be 3mph. I got a message saying my backing speed was 3.7 mph on average and to please slow it down. I told them I would as soon as they installed a digital speedometer for me[emoji23]

DOK

The backing thing is a joke in my opinion. Yes you might be more likely to hit something but either you can drive or you can't. My backing goal is 45 but for me it doesn't matter. The telematics wire in my truck is ripped out of the dash. I'm pretty sure someone in management did it because the backing on my route is ridiculous. It is nice to never have to deal with telematics BS tho......unless my truck gets pulled for something.

Not sure how you're center team is permitted to use your truck as they and the mechanics are getting gigged for your truck being out on the road without working telematics. Protocol is to pull the truck off the road until the telematics is fixed.