Minimum notice to retirement committee

Packmule

Still debating whether to stick around for two more years or hang it up this thanksgiving.
Anyone know what the minimum amount of time I need to give the committee in order to facilitate a smooth transition if I decide to bail?

Still debating whether to stick around for two more years or hang it up this thanksgiving.
Anyone know what the minimum amount of time I need to give the committee in order to facilitate a smooth transition if I decide to bail?
Our pension committee,has several meetings a year. not sure how frequent..Good luck,hope you can get out,when you want.

oldngray

nowhere special
Thx. A ten day forecast might be the deciding factor!

UPS won't even let you turn in paperwork more than 90 days in advance. Then they won't do anything until about that 30 day window. So when mistakes are made (which usually happens) you have to get them corrected after you retire. They act like every person is the first person to retire and are clueless (or intentionally make things more difficult than necessary). I had nothing to say to anyone locally. It all went through Atlanta who notified my center. I would have liked to have everything done early for a smooth transition but that is not how UPS wants it to be.

oldngray

nowhere special
From the retirees I talked to,they give you a big deduction,on your part time pension. If you take before age 65.

The pension is figured a couple of different ways and one way you do get less depending on your age but years of service you don't. For the part time pension you could get more if you are close to 65 but it decreases with age so if you are closer to 55 you get more figuring it the other way (years of service).

The pension is figured a couple of different ways and one way you do get less depending on your age but years of service you don't. For the part time pension you could get more if you are close to 65 but it decreases with age so if you are closer to 55 you get more figuring it the other way (years of service).
Yes It Is very confusing,from the retirees I talked to.

oldngray

nowhere special
Wondering how accurate Pension Planner is.

It is only an "estimate". Even UPS admits that. UPS insisted mine was correct but then made a correction a month after I retired then another almost 5 months later. UPS has 5 months to correct errors then you are stuck with those numbers. That calculator does give you a close estimate but not exact.

M

Mike hunt

What is a pension committee and what would they have to decide on your pension? I've never heard of this.

Wondering how accurate Pension Planner is.
You need to ask yourself,a whole pile of questions. Might be worth yout time,to paya financial advisor, for an hour or two of his time.

Can you afford to retire? Can your body take It,another year.

How much more pension would you get,working another year?

How much would that raise your social security?

What kind of shape,is your pension plan in?

Do you want a part time job,when you retire?

How much can you "safely" withdraw from your 401k?

Healthcare? life insurance?

Many other questios. Sorry not trying to make it hard on you.

Packmule

Yeah I think about all those things every day. I'm a plan B for my plan C kind of guy. It would definitely be worth about 300 a month to stick around till 2017. But I will be at 37 years and 56 years old this May.
Body still chugging along ok, but I'm just so sick of living like this every winter.
Wife and kids want me out before anything stupid happens.
I'd be thrilled to stock shelves in a local store for a few years till SS kicks in. Just won't be wondering every stop if this is the one that'll cost me my job anyway.

Yeah i think about all those things every day. I'm a plan B for my plan C kind of guy. It would definitely be worth about 300 a month to stick around till 2017. But I will be at 37 years and 56 years old this May.
Body still chugging along ok, but I'm just so sick of living like this every winter.
Wife and kids want me out before anything stupid happens.
I'd be thrilled to stock shelves in a local store for a few years till SS kicks in. Just won't be wondering every stop if this is the one that'll cost me my job anyway.
Make an appointment,with an advisor. not a bank or an Insurance guy. it is a big step,do it correctly. once you are retired,you cant go back.