Minimum wage general strike

BMWSauber1991

Walmart, Sam's, Costco, the local malls, etc. all provide an entertainment diversion for many, many people.
In the Walmart near me, I see some of the Indian women that I buy coffe from at McDonalds every Saturday morning. They seem completely happy with their kids and their friends looking at the Chinese clothing and buying school supplies. Besides the entertainment feature, there is also an element of convenience that draws people to these mega stores and then the science takes over to make them spend their money.
Rather than try to resurrect the American dream our parents had, maybe some union people need to adapt and evolve with the times. Bitching on BC or walking a McDonalds picket line in support of some ideal really is a wasted effort. You'd be better off waiting for the Aliens to return to the desert.

So before we got our freedom from the British, you would have tried to convince people to "adapt and evolve with the times" and except British rule?

klein

Für Meno :)
Labour costs at Mc D's is rougly 25% of all costs. It's not much.
So, if you added a 50% wage increase (from $8 to $12 hr), it would cost Mc D's about 10% more in total costs.
They could probably observe half that cost instead of earning extra billions in profits, and/or pass on a 5% increase to consumers.
What's the big deal if a meal deal costs $5.99 or $6.29 , (30 cents or 5%) more for them to earn a nice $12 starting wage ?
At $12/hr, they could get out of poverty living, buy more things, and get the economy going, again !
Nobody would be hurt over this !

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
So before we got our freedom from the British, you would have tried to convince people to "adapt and evolve with the times" and Accept British rule?

Completely different scenarios... If you paid attention in school, you would remember that the American revolution was due, in part, to the Colonists feeling that they did not have the rights that every God given man should have; certainly not their British counterparts..maybe you aren't a tea drinker or ever heard the phrase "No taxation without representation". I also corrected your "english" for you too.

BMWSauber1991

Completely different scenarios... If you paid attention in school, you would remember that the American revolution was due, in part, to the Colonists feeling that they did not have the rights that every God given man should have; certainly not their British counterparts..maybe you aren't a tea drinker or ever heard the phrase "No taxation without representation". I also corrected your "english" for you too.

My statement was definitely an exaggeration. It was more in the sense of standing up for what you believe in and not accepting what's at hand. You don't think a fair wage should be a "god given right" though? This is America, I understand if we don't find common ground. Thank you, for the history and grammar lessons.

ocnewguy

Labour costs at Mc D's is rougly 25% of all costs. It's not much.
So, if you added a 50% wage increase (from $8 to $12 hr), it would cost Mc D's about 10% more in total costs.
They could probably observe half that cost instead of earning extra billions in profits, and/or pass on a 5% increase to consumers.
What's the big deal if a meal deal costs $5.99 or $6.29 , (30 cents or 5%) more for them to earn a nice $12 starting wage ?
At $12/hr, they could get out of poverty living, buy more things, and get the economy going, again !
Nobody would be hurt over this !

Why stop at mcdonalds? i can't get out of poverty living @ 11/hr at UPS. Why shouldn't i get at least 15/hr?

See where this goes? Mix and match any low paying job with mcdonalds

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
My statement was definitely an exaggeration. It was more in the sense of standing up for what you believe in and not accepting what's at hand. You don't think a fair wage should be a "god given right" though? This is America, I understand if we don't find common ground. Thank you, for the history and grammar lessons.

Who and what determines "fair"? I don't see anything happening at McDonalds that would drive a higher pay rate. It's really about supply and demand and basic economics related to inflation, poverty, plus it discourages education and hurts small business. The list of cons is about as long as the list of pros.
As for "God given right": only the 13th Amendment comes close to what a person's labor is worth.

klein

Für Meno :)
Why stop at mcdonalds? i can't get out of poverty living @ 11/hr at UPS. Why shouldn't i get at least 15/hr?

See where this goes? Mix and match any low paying job with mcdonalds
Huh ????

You forget you have a union !
You vote for your contract and earnings !
Seems you (or others) were happy with it - with the recent YES vote !