Minimum Wage

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No Dave, just keeping it real. The US Military is the largest social program our government has to offer. Yes, it comes with some dignity by serving the country, but the FREE perks paid for by the US taxpayers, is no different than welfare, wic or food stamps.

In addition, 25% of our men and women in the military are currently ON WELFARE.

Making them even more dependent on the government to survive.

Get a grip dave.

TOS.

Remind us again how much time you spent on active duty?

Yes, there are lower enlisted men who do qualify for and receive public assistance, but it is nowhere near 25%.

newfie

Yes, there are lower enlisted men who do qualify for and receive public assistance, but it is nowhere near 25%.

I would challenge his made up numbers. 25 percent may be receiving food stamps but not welfare as the other bull:censored2:ter states. compare that to the general population where its estimated 1/3 of the general population receives some type of assistance.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would challenge his made up numbers. 25 percent may be receiving food stamps but not welfare as the other bull:censored2:ter states. compare that to the general population where its estimated 1/3 of the general population receives some type of assistance.

I don't recall any of them receiving actual welfare-----most were receiving WIC and food stamps.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I don't recall any of them receiving actual welfare-----most were receiving WIC and food stamps.
Semantics.
Aid. Benefits. Welfare. Handouts. Food "stamps". Assistance. Entitlements. Freeloaders....
Some of the most vocal people around here group all these programs and everyone who receives from them together..... now that we're talking about military families all of the sudden there's a distinction, odd how that works.

Last edited:

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.

Only lower enlisted with wife who does not work and kids.

I always said they should wait to marry until E-4 and kids until E-5.

No one listened.

It was like watching a train wreck.

Happened over and over.

newfie

Which is welfare as welfare is not one specific assistance program.

sigh. some people just cant let go.
welfare is generally a form of assistance for those who are unemployed.
Food stamps are given to low wage earners as a supplement. food stamps can be granted in addition to welfare.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare
"Welfare can take a variety of forms, such as monetary payments, subsidies and vouchers, or housing assistance. Welfare systems differ from country to country, but welfare is commonly provided to individuals who are unemployed, those with illness or disability, the elderly, those with dependent children, and veterans. A person's eligibility for welfare may also be constrained by means testing or other conditions"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I can recall one particular young family when I was on active duty. He was a gun collector and there would be times when his wife and kids would go without just so that he could go out and buy a new gun.

TOS did get one thing right-----the majority of those who enlisted pre-9/11 were from the lower strata of our economic landscape.

moreluck

golden ticket member
zDWQqzs.jpg

clean hairy

Let's not forget the perks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Military personnel admittedly do not earn fabulous salaries. But then the money is not why anyone joins - if you are after money, go somewhere else!

That said, military members are rewarded with substantial tangible and intangible benefits. Here are just a few:

• Educational Benefits - GI Bill, Tuition Assistance, Servicemember Opportunity Colleges, Education on Duty, etc.
  • Advanced Technical and Specialty Training
  • Cash Bonuses
  • Tax-Free Housing & Food Allowances, or Free Room & Board
  • 30 Days of Vacation per Year
  • Space A Travel - Free flights between bases
  • Substantial discounts and deals throughout the private sector (link to Deals center)
  • The pride and honor of serving your country
  • World travel
  • Health & Dental Care for you and your family
  • Special deals on Home Loans (VA Loans link)
  • Being part of a larger family with a proud history - the military tradition
  • Pension
Also, discounted or free college?
Financing on Home purchases which the Public cannot get.
Most importantly, the RESPECT of the Public for having made sacrafices (sp?) to serve our Country!