Minumum wage to $15.00 per hour in NJ

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Actually the unions are fighting against this.

Ups part timers are compensated to the tune of much more than $15 an hour.
And a driver is compensated at over $50 / hour.
Having done both and with the belief that these P/T must eat and sleep and have the basic needs taken care of, I can settle for $25/hr total compensation.
Of course, for 90% plus of these part-timers will never realize anything from these long-term benefits.
To me. it is a simple case of exploitation by those that benefit from that exploitation.

MendozaJ

I'm not against anyone earning more money off of billion dollar corporations. The argument always gravitates towards the fast food industry and whether or not it's deserved. I do not envy anyone on the other side of that counter, unlimited chicken nuggets notwithstanding. Is anyone here going to seriously consider a career change to McD's?

Speaking of McD's, it once suggested to its employees that they can survive on a McD's wage by setting up a monthly budget which most notably included having a second job, and omitted other basic necessities such as gas and groceries. So yeah, :censored3: McD's.

And how about Walmart setting up Thanksgiving food drives in their stores for their employees that can not afford a Thanksgiving meal on their wage? :censored3: Walmart.

And how about the NYC council members voting themselves a 32% raise, from $112.5k to $148.5k? :censored3: the politicians.

Indecisi0n

I'm not against anyone earning more money off of billion dollar corporations. The argument always gravitates towards the fast food industry and whether or not it's deserved. I do not envy anyone on the other side of that counter, unlimited chicken nuggets notwithstanding. Is anyone here going to seriously consider a career change to McD's?

Speaking of McD's, it once suggested to its employees that they can survive on a McD's wage by setting up a monthly budget which most notably included having a second job, and omitted other basic necessities such as gas and groceries. So yeah, :censored3: McD's.

And how about Walmart setting up Thanksgiving food drives in their stores for their employees that can not afford a Thanksgiving meal on their wage? :censored3: Walmart.

And how about the NYC council members voting themselves a 32% raise, from $112.5k to $148.5k? :censored3: the politicians.
While I tend to agree these wages were never meant to be lived on. You have to also agree that people didn't expect hundreds and thousands of jobs to be sent overseas. On top that a current age depression to boot and then CEO's making 500% increases in pay while they cut workers PTO/wage/benefits. Sure businesses are here to make money but at what cost? As times change then so should we. If they want to keep the pay the same then fine but offer free healthcare. There has to be a give and take.

The banks :censored2:ed up royally and we bail them greedy SOB's out but the poor people? Naaa they are just lazy.

JL 0513

Did you know that 1 in 3 McDonald's is insolvent? Have you noticed how much they've thrown against the wall recently to see what sticks? Have you also noticed how damn long it takes to get your food at McDonald's lately (so even at $9/hr. they can only afford skeleton crews). $15/hr? The food is already too expensive now, just wait! You can bet that they will go fully automated if they have to pay $15. The machinery already exists. See you later workers.

Also funny how people fail to realize that all $15/hr means is that it becomes the new $8-9/hr before long. All a dollar means is purchasing power and that will go down for everyone across the board. Food, services, everything will go up. Those now making $15 will be right back where they were and we'll then be arguing for $20.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Did you know that 1 in 3 McDonald's is insolvent? Have you noticed how much they've thrown against the wall recently to see what sticks? Have you also noticed how damn long it takes to get your food at McDonald's lately (so even at $9/hr. they can only afford skeleton crews). $15/hr? The food is already too expensive now, just wait! You can bet that they will go fully automated if they have to pay $15. The machinery already exists. See you later workers.

Also funny how people fail to realize that all $15/hr means is that it becomes the new $8-9/hr before long. All a dollar means is purchasing power and that will go down for everyone across the board. Food, services, everything will go up. Those now making $15 will be right back where they were and we'll then be arguing for $20.
It doesn't take a genius to figure it out but then again most fighting for $15 aren't geniuses

If ups had to pay our part timers $15 an hour you can bet it would
Be taken away somewhere else.

Either their pension contributions would go away or their raises would become non existent.
Blame the union. 30+ years ago it was $8 an hour. If they got a 2-3% raise per year they would be over $15.

Guess I should thank them for not voting and raising my paycheck substantially.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The McDonald's in the Syracuse (NY) area are installing automated ordering service and replacing cashiers with "waiters" who will bring your order to your table. The "waiters" will be paid tip wages, which are much less than minimum wage, with the thought that the customers will make up the difference.

10 point

NY is on the first step of the process to raise their minimum wage to $15/hr by 2020. As of the first of this year it is at $9.90/hr.

There was an article in today's paper discussing the pros and cons. A local chain restaurant owner stated that any raise in the minimum wage would have to offset by a raise in menu prices. His already thin margins would be even thinner.
Thin margins? Like you've owned a restaurant.
Tell me how that works.

MAKAVELI

The McDonald's in the Syracuse (NY) area are installing automated ordering service and replacing cashiers with "waiters" who will bring your order to your table. The "waiters" will be paid tip wages, which are much less than minimum wage, with the thought that the customers will make up the difference.
By federal law they cannot be paid under minimum wage. That's why it's called " minimum wage".

10 point

And a driver is compensated at over $50 / hour.
Having done both and with the belief that these P/T must eat and sleep and have the basic needs taken care of, I can settle for $25/hr total compensation.
Of course, for 90% plus of these part-timers will never realize anything from these long-term benefits.
To me. it is a simple case of exploitation by those that benefit from that exploitation.
Hmmmm.
Wonder who that might be?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

By federal law they cannot be paid under minimum wage. That's why it's called " minimum wage".

1. New York isn't going that far, but advocates for the restaurant and hospitality industry say the new raise will hurt businesses nonetheless. Still, New York's tipped minimum wage is less than the state's standard minimum wage. That's currently $8.75 an hour and is scheduled to go up to $9 on Dec. 31.Feb 24, 2015