MIP

Well, of course this is a different discussion than what you posted. You said "pyramid scheme", not me.

If you want to talk executive salaries that's an interesting discussion. What if one CEO vs. another could increase the value of UPS stock by just $1. Just $1

That CEO would have increased UPS value by $1 Billion. How much is that worth? A CEO of a fortune 50 company has a tremendous responsibility. Your blanket statement doesn't fit, does it? What is Steve Jobs worth to an Apple shareowner?

Now, is Davis worth it? The jury is out. Lets see if he can move the stock. $1 equals $1 billion. Lets see.

Where are you getting this $1 = 1 Billion theory from?

I never said that being at the head of a fortune 50 company isn't a large responsibility. Frankly, there are many careers that involve a lot of responsibility and I can't think of one that is compensated to the tune of millions.

pretzel_man

I never said that being at the head of a fortune 50 company isn't a large responsibility. Frankly, there are many careers that involve a lot of responsibility and I can't think of one that is compensated to the tune of millions.

UPS has over a billion shares of stock... If the stock price raises a dollar, one billion dollars of wealth is created for shareowners. If one CEO can raise the stock price $1 more than another CEO that person created $1 worth of wealth. This is why senior executives make what they do. Its for the wealth they are responsible for.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Many baseball players make over $15 million a year
Major movie stars make over $15 million a movie
Most Mutual fund managers make over $15 million year guaranteed and some make over $100 million a year.
TV sitcom stars make over $5 million per year and many much more than that.

Nimnim

The Nim
Most Mutual fund managers make over $15 million year guaranteed and some make over $100 million a year.

Going along the logic of this, Eat My Overallowed should be making millions for the entertainment value he's providing us here.

rod

Retired 22 years
UPS has over a billion shares of stock... If the stock price raises a dollar, one billion dollars of wealth is created for shareowners. If one CEO can raise the stock price $1 more than another CEO that person created $1 worth of wealth. This is why senior executives make what they do. Its for the wealth they are responsible for.

So the CEO's who took it from $80 bucks a share DOWN to $40 bucks should be hung then? I believe that drop was blamed on the economy
----but if stock prices go UP a dollar its all because of some God like CEO? Thats funny

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So the CEO's who took it from $80 bucks a share DOWN to $40 bucks should be hung then? I believe that drop was blamed on the economy
----but if stock prices go UP a dollar its all because of some God like CEO? Thats funny

That's not what P-Man said but the concept is a good point - how does the Board determine how much increase or decrease is attributable to the direct actions/leadership of the CEO?

Karma...

Please tell me you arent still sticking around at UPS hoping the MIP will be that high? The only way UPS will adjust how its treating people is if all those people DO leave the company. Kinda a catch 22 there obviously since you no longer care how things are after you leave.

i never considered leaving until retirement.

bluehdmc

No wonder beer is $7.50 each at the stadium.

Movie tickets are how much??

Is that whether the mutual fund goes up or down?

As far as sports figures their careers can be short due to injuries, but of course then they can become commentators. The price of a ticket seems to have been priced out of the ordinary working mans range though.
I just wonder about multi-million dollar salaries for anyone, granted the actor or sports player might be the "draw" for ticket sales, but how many movies are flops? Or at least not profitable.
Granted it's lowly, basically unskilled labor but the person cleaning the stadium is probably paid minimum wage, makes me wonder about some things.

Interesting concept, "Off with their heads!" if the stock goes down, like that's gonna happen.

Funny all the banks and wall st trading firms, still paid their executive bonuses while asking for govt handouts.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
No wonder beer is $7.50 each at the stadium.

Movie tickets are how much??

Is that whether the mutual fund goes up or down?

As far as sports figures their careers can be short due to injuries, but of course then they can become commentators. The price of a ticket seems to have been priced out of the ordinary working mans range though.
I just wonder about multi-million dollar salaries for anyone, granted the actor or sports player might be the "draw" for ticket sales, but how many movies are flops? Or at least not profitable.
Granted it's lowly, basically unskilled labor but the person cleaning the stadium is probably paid minimum wage, makes me wonder about some things.

I with you.

Don't go to the movies,
don't go to professional sports events,
I do go to concerts but only the "not found yet" <$30 tickets and usually much less.
And for the most part, I stick with Vanguard funds and Index funds.

DS

Fenderbender
Pretz and all you other partners that have made this new forum a hit.
Thanks to upssalesguy and hoax,you guys now have a place to talk.
Are hourlies allowed in here?
Ok my point.How much thought goes into the reality of real customer service as opposed to getting richer?
I have to deal with supervisors that tell me that a customer cannot call at 4:30 pm with 6 skids of express packages
and expect a same day pickup.I have to use my own cell phone and ask drivers close by to help.At 350 million dollars a year +
the CEO should wake up and smell the revenue.I don't care who he is.
I hope I don't come across as a whiner,I just want the tools to do my job effectively.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If everyones thought went into real customer service the MIP would be 5. When is the last time you heard someone in operations management say "how will this descision effect our customers?".

pretzel_man

Pretz and all you other partners that have made this new forum a hit.
Thanks to upssalesguy and hoax,you guys now have a place to talk.
Are hourlies allowed in here?
Ok my point.How much thought goes into the reality of real customer service as opposed to getting richer?
I have to deal with supervisors that tell me that a customer cannot call at 4:30 pm with 6 skids of express packages
and expect a same day pickup.I have to use my own cell phone and ask drivers close by to help.At 350 million dollars a year +
the CEO should wake up and smell the revenue.I don't care who he is.
I hope I don't come across as a whiner,I just want the tools to do my job effectively.

I don't think you sound like a whiner. Your supervisor is missing the point... Its funny, but when you talk about the old days, feelings like that were prevalent.

I remember when I was a brand new supervisor, they had me ride with a Customer Service representative for two days. We went on sales calls, center visits, complaint calls, etc. I will never forget being with a customer who wanted to sign up with UPS. The CS guy said he could set him up with an account in three weeks. I was puzzled and asked him why it took so long.

He said that he already had his sales MBC quota for the month, and wanted to get book it for next month.

Does Scott Davis understand that the situation you mention is bad? I absolutely believe so. The US realignment is meant to help with this.

Myron is the president of the US. Not just US operations. He is responsible for the full P&L. Take a look at the Management Conference video. He had his HR guy, Sales guy, Operations Guy, Finance guy, all there to discuss the US operations. It wasn't just cost, it was end to end U.S. I think this is positive for the long term.

So, a customer that has 6 skids of express should get special treatment. From a P&L standpoint this is great for UPS. Hopefully, we will see more decisions made based on overall UPS cost AND revenue.

I sure hope it works.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Does Scott Davis understand that the situation you mention is bad? I absolutely believe so. The US realignment is meant to help with this.

Can you help us understand how reducing the number of districts and regions, reducing the support staff and turing up the heat on production is going to help with customer service? What got closer to the customer? Seems the opposite to me. Am I missing something?

UPSSOCKS

Can you help us understand how reducing the number of districts and regions, reducing the support staff and turing up the heat on production is going to help with customer service? What got closer to the customer? Seems the opposite to me. Am I missing something?

Your missing something huge. I thought for sure you would have a number for the board of directors you could call. The recession was the best thing that ever happened to the company. It gave us an opportunity to trim the fat off a company that definitely needed it. Now we are a much leaner more profitable company. After the economy filters through that idiot's three trillion dollar stimulus, UPS will be a booming stock to own. You want to know what it did for customer service? I will give you names and atlas numbers of REAL people that are stroking out every day over damages, left in buildings, and service failures. When you whack 1800 people the rest of the group falls into line with the fear of god in their hearts.