Mirrors

TheKid

Over the past year or so we have been instructed to pull in our mirrors for safety reasons. While I agree to do this if I am at a dock or parked in a narrow space, I have refused to do this if it requires me too "stick my hand out in the middle of traffic". Is this happening in other areas ? If so, how does everyone else handling this ?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
This was mentioned one time the past year in my Center. I don't know of anyone that does it though.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I've been driving for 15 years and we have always been told to fold in our driver's side mirror. They don't always enforce it, but we are told.

DS

Fenderbender
In big cities it's a must.You have to park in a small spot on the side of a busy Rd.
It's 2nd nature to me now,but I always take a peek before sticking my hand out to put it back.
Ever since the meteorite crashed through my truck,and I got charged with an avoidable accident
for "picking a bad spot to eat lunch" I have been extremely careful.:wink2:

menotyou

bella amicizia
They tell us to do it, "just use your own judgement". So, I asked why if my judgement isn't trusted anywhere else, so why here? Why this? They don't say it to me anymore. I do it when and if I please. I know that sounds crass, and I don't mean it to be, but if I wasn't smart enough to pull in the mirrors when I saw fit before they decided it was an issue, why am I driving?
They don't care about my safety when it -20, blizzard conditions and I still have 40 stops. Why should I care anymore about them? I know I sound horrible, and for that, I apologize. I am not in a good mood. Sorry.

whiskey

It takes one second to fold in your mirror. Two minutes out of your entire day. And your reward is to never have a broken mirror.
Been folding mine in for 20 years.
Depending upon your center manager, a broken mirror may be considered an accident.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It takes one second to fold in your mirror. Two minutes out of your entire day. And your reward is to never have a broken mirror.
Depending upon your center manager, a broken mirror may be considered an accident.

If you pull in your mirror and it loosens and no longer operates properly, you are charged with an accident for pulling in your mirror. :happy-very:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

I've been not pulling in my mirror for 22 years. Never had a broken mirror. (Except hitting a bird on the interstate)

brownrod

Always pull in my mirror. Even in the most rural places.

My driver sup who trained me came from a hub that delivered downtown of a one of the largest cities in America. That's how they rolled down there so that's how he trained me to roll.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Always pull in my mirror. Even in the most rural places.

My driver sup who trained me came from a hub that delivered downtown of a one of the largest cities in America. That's how they rolled down there so that's how he trained me to roll.

My driver's school training was in a big city and I wasn't trained that way. If I was, I would do the same as you. I am glad I wasn't. As over stated, its not worth your arm. As I said, it takes all day to re-adjust the mirror in any truck I have driven in my center. I don't have that kind of time, or that amount of concern. Charge me with an accident and I guarantee I will get it thrown out.

rod

Retired 22 years
The only time my mirrors got folded in was when a tree branch won or the carwasher/car spotter was playing the nightly game of how close can you park one truck to another.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol

What about when it is raining or winter time? Do you open the driver side door or open the window every time? No way I would do that. Now when the day is nice and my driver side door is open then I will pull the mirror but not any other time..

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They tell us to do it, "just use your own judgement". So, I asked why if my judgement isn't trusted anywhere else, so why here? Why this? They don't say it to me anymore. I do it when and if I please. I know that sounds crass, and I don't mean it to be, but if I wasn't smart enough to pull in the mirrors when I saw fit before they decided it was an issue, why am I driving?
They don't care about my safety when it -20, blizzard conditions and I still have 40 stops. Why should I care anymore about them? I know I sound horrible, and for that, I apologize. I am not in a good mood. Sorry.
ok ... That eliminates you living n Florida.

Big Babooba

2 minutes a day x 5 days = 10 minutes per week
10 minutes is 1/6 of an hour.
Assuming you're paid $30 per hr - $30 / 6 = $5 per week to fold in your mirrors
$5 x 52 = $260 per year that you are paid to fold in your mirrors.
I'm sure that the bean counters will put a stop to this practice!!!

cino321

Let's see... $10 dollar mirror gets broken and I get charged with a accident... or I loose my arm in traffic. Tough decision.

FYI... to all you guys that do tuck in your mirrors... THERE IS NO SAFE METHOD FOR TUCKING IN MIRRORS! They cannot force you to do something if they haven't trained you.