Mislead by manager

yolo1990

Im a university student working at UPS as a loader and I was hired in April.

In December, near the end of peak, the manager came around to every person in the loading area including me, and told us that if you stay at UPS for a year you get $1000.
Now, he doesn't work here anymore and when I asked a manager about the whole thing, he told me that it is only for people who start after January 1st, 2013. Does this make sense to any of you? He came around telling people in December about this reward for staying 1 year, and if its for people who start in January 2013, nobody that he told this about was even eligible for the reward! I find it pathetic that they go to these tactics to mislead people. Can I go to the union about this even though there is no paperwork?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Welcome aboard. Usually takes longer for people to realize most management do what it takes to get results. This is just an example to keep as many of you around in hopes you don't realize you'd make more at Taco Bell minus the bennies.

Indecisi0n

Welcome aboard. Usually takes longer for people to realize most management do what it takes to get results. This is just an example to keep as many of you around in hopes you don't realize you'd make more at Taco Bell minus the bennies.

I had Taco Bell yesterday.

Just about everything that spews out of a bosses mouth is a lie.Get used to it...I wont be the last time they lie to you!!! Also another word of advice dont bendover in front of them!!

InsideUPS

In December, near the end of peak, the manager came around to every person in the loading area including me, and told us that if you stay at UPS for a year you get $1000.
Now, he doesn't work here anymore and when I asked a manager about the whole thing, he told me that it is only for people who start after January 1st, 2013. Does this make sense to any of you? He came around telling people in December about this reward for staying 1 year, and if its for people who start in January 2013, nobody that he told this about was even eligible for the reward! I find it pathetic that they go to these tactics to mislead people. Can I go to the union about this even though there is no paperwork?

Welcome to BrownCafe Yolo1990.

When you say "he doesn't work here anymore?", do you know if he was transferred or left UPS altogether, either voluntarily or involuntarily?

In general, if you don't have something in writing, you really have nothing to back you up. Regardless, I'm surprised that UPS is offering a $1000 bonus to select employees. I personally would consider this a violation of Article 6 (outlined below) of the National Master unless your Local has some sort of special agreement with the company. Based on what you discover with your research, you or your steward could possibly file a grievance on the violation of Article 6. Please note however that this will NOT help you directly. It is only something that your Local or your steward may be interested in.

ARTICLE 6.

Section 1. Extra Contract Agreements
Except as may be otherwise provided in this Agreement, the
Employer agrees not to enter into, or attempt to enter into, any
agreement or contract with its employees, either individually or collectively,
or to require or attempt to require employees to sign any
document, either individually or collectively, which in any way conflicts
with the provisions of this Agreement. Any such Agreement or
document shall be null and void. Any such agreement or document
may not be placed in an employee’s file or used by the Employer as
a basis for discipline or used in connection with any disciplinary
proceeding, nor may any such agreement or document nor the contents
thereof be divulged to any person or entity.

InsideUPS

Just about everything that spews out of a bosses mouth is a lie.Get used to it...I wont be the last time they lie to you!!! Also another word of advice dont bendover in front of them!!

"I've Gotta" agree that a number of supervisors and managers have a tendency to distort the facts, alter the truth, cover up issues, and redefine the word Integrity.

HOWEVER, I have found a way to counter supervisors and managers that lack true integrity. In our contract book we have Article 17 a (DISHONESTY). While most of you may believe that this language only applies to hourly, it does NOT. How many of you have received warning letters from the company that included language that goes something like this.... "further disciplinary action will be taken. This action may be up to and including discharge"?

I now "own" a management UPS employee because I handed them a grievance which was written as violation of Article 17a (Dishonhesty). As part of my requested resolution to the grievance, I asked that this management employee be disciplined in a similar manner to that of an hourly employee who was found to be dishonest (normally discharged). I had undisputed evidence that this management employee was dishonest. Instead of processing the grievance in normal fashion, I told this management person that I could make this grievance "go away" simply by following some of my "requests". This management person asked if they could take my signed grievances. I said "sure", do with them what you want..... A management person that has a "cloud" of dishonesty hanging over their head is a very weak individual. The temptation to alter numbers in a variety of ways is extremely great at UPS.

Lesson Learned - I suggest that all individuals avoid being dishonest at ALL costs regardless of what your numbers may look like. Follow the methods exactly........be as safe as can be....etc......

UPSGUY72

Of course you got that in writing. I mean if someone said that to me I'd ask where is that written down so I know it's true. After he told you that didn't you ask anyone else your work with what the deal was. The union has a contract with UPS that $1000 you talk about isn't in it.

Your SOL next time someone tells you something that seems to good to be true it probably is.

yolo1990

Yeah, I guess I trusted the guy too much, I talked about it with a couple of employees and we kind of laughed about how people who were already here for a year wouldn't get it, obviously got way ahead of ourselves. I was kind of angry at first but I guess it might be best to just laugh it off and take it as a lesson learned. One things for sure though, I'm not gonna work as hard as I did before :funny:

Catatonic

Nine Lives

That's close to "motivation" in the dictionary isn't it?
Understandable mistake.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Of course you got that in writing. I mean if someone said that to me I'd ask where is that written down so I know it's true. After he told you that didn't you ask anyone else your work with what the deal was. The union has a contract with UPS that $1000 you talk about isn't in it.

Your SOL next time someone tells you something that seems to good to be true it probably is.

It's too.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yeah, I guess I trusted the guy too much, I talked about it with a couple of employees and we kind of laughed about how people who were already here for a year wouldn't get it, obviously got way ahead of ourselves. I was kind of angry at first but I guess it might be best to just laugh it off and take it as a lesson learned. One things for sure though, I'm not gonna work as hard as I did before :funny:

When your fiancee tells you, "We'll have sex every night", you'll probably believe that too!

You'll get angry about it at first but then you'll learn to take matters into your own hand.