Misload grievance

HardknocksUPSer

Well, ideally, you want to avoid the misloads completely. But, we are only human.
If you get help, make sure management is aware of that because you can not be blamed for others mistakes.
So, until you make seniority, slow down a bit and pay closer attention to the labels.
What has worked for me is writing both the car number and pal number on the box - just before placing it on the shelf.
Also, management encourages carrying more than one package at a time. So, if you do, make sure they're for the same car. Don't grab packages for car 8 and 9 and bring them both into 8. Instead, leave the package for 9 and make a second trip.
Another "solution" management has encouraged in the past is reading the label out-loud as you enter into the car.
These tips work even better if the car number is posted somewhere obvious inside the car.
Finally, if management is distracting ...err... talking to you, stop what you're doing until the conversation is finished.
I've gotten my misloads down, when I was hired around peak 7-8 a day was average for me. They finally got so fed up they told me they were letting me go, I was a good worker just couldn't keep my misloads down, so instead my steward talked them into switching me to reload, I worked reload less than a week and was asked to come back to preload, after that I got my misloads down by posting the trucks name/number sheet on the floor outside of the truck, one on the back of the truck and two on the inside, I'm averaging 2 a week now, loading 5 cars most days and 4 cars other days, I also put a X on each box after I check the PAL label as I put it on the shelf. Seems to work for me.

HBGPreloader

I've gotten my misloads down, when I was hired around peak 7-8 a day was average for me. They finally got so fed up they told me they were letting me go, I was a good worker just couldn't keep my misloads down, so instead my steward talked them into switching me to reload, I worked reload less than a week and was asked to come back to preload, after that I got my misloads down by posting the trucks name/number sheet on the floor outside of the truck, one on the back of the truck and two on the inside, I'm averaging 2 a week now, loading 5 cars most days and 4 cars other days, I also put a X on each box after I check the PAL label as I put it on the shelf. Seems to work for me.
For our center, you would be doing pretty darn good.
I think our "allowance" for misloads is 1 for 2,500. If I were to guess, I would say my average is more frequent than that for 3 cars - loading ~1,000 packages per day because my misloads normally come in pairs and I screw up 2, sometimes, 3 days a week.
My record for none was 17 days. But, I haven't seen that in quite some time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Deffinately, I have a problem with co-workers throwing things anywhere in my truck because I'm at the end of the belt, they always give the guys towards the head of the belt help first and I'm always last to get helped, in the event I'm stacked out and need help people generally throw it anywhere in my trucks because sups are yelling at us to get off the clock and therefore I end up with misloads and :censored2: off drivers, I've had up to 6 people helping load my trucks at the end of the sort..

6 people helping you close out your pkg cars? Really??

Sounds like you need to be moved to the unload.

HardknocksUPSer

For our center, you would be doing pretty darn good.
I think our "allowance" for misloads is 1 for 2,500. If I were to guess, I would say my average is more frequent than that for 3 cars - loading ~1,000 packages per day because my misloads normally come in pairs and I screw up 2, sometimes, 3 days a week.
My record for none was 17 days. But, I haven't seen that in quite some time.
Your average really isn't too bad, seems some centers are more at ease with misloads than others, at my center I'm threatened with my job everyday over misloads, to the point where your hoping and praying you don't have misloads when you walk in, it's quite ridiculous if you ask me, I understand I have one job and one job only but until a sup can do it I really don't see what right he has to try to tell me how to do it, what the hell does a degree paper mean anyway? Lol...

HBGPreloader

6 people helping you close out your pkg cars? Really??

Sounds like you need to be moved to the unload.
When I get stuck with surepost, I (all too often) need help because I get hammered with smalls at the end of the shift.
Just today alone, I was pulling an average of 4 pieces of surepost per bin from ~7:30 until we wrapped up at ~8:45. When you mix in air and all the other last minute stuff, you can, quickly, become overwhelmed.

HardknocksUPSer

When I get stuck with surepost, I (all too often) need help because I get hammered with smalls at the end of the shift.
Just today alone, I was pulling an average of 4 pieces of surepost per bin from ~7:30 until we wrapped up at ~8:45. When you mix in air and all the other last minute stuff, you can, quickly, become overwhelmed.
Especially when they speed up the belt at the end of the sort with all of the smalls on it, you have to grab your stuff off the belt so fast misloads can happen in a split second, a loader comes behind you and helps load, he doesn't care, it's not his truck, and boom there's a misload.

HBGPreloader

Your average really isn't too bad, seems some centers are more at ease with misloads than others, at my center I'm threatened with my job everyday over misloads, to the point where your hoping and praying you don't have misloads when you walk in, it's quite ridiculous if you ask me, I understand I have one job and one job only but until a sup can do it I really don't see what right he has to try to tell me how to do it, what the hell does a degree paper mean anyway? Lol...
My center tries to be tough with misloads and PPH. They get angry and threaten warnings. And, occasionally, will issue a suspension.
However, nobody has served a suspension or been fired in quite some time simply because they're having a hard time just finding decent people who actually show up and do their job on a daily basis.

HardknocksUPSer

My center tries to be tough with misloads and PPH. They get angry and threaten warnings. And, occasionally, will issue a suspension.
However, nobody has served a suspension or been fired in quite some time simply because they're having a hard time just finding decent people who actually show up and do their job on a daily basis.
That's very very true, it's a tough job that most people don't won't and that most won't take so therefore a reliable worker with a couple misloads is better than no worker. I totally agree with you, most of it seems like scare tactics just to try to keep your misloads minimal. I'm 30 mins early every morning so that goes in my favor. Some guys come in as the first package comes down the slides.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
You pph is based on how many pieces your trucks get. If you get light trucks your pph is going to be low. You can't control the volume of packages your trucks get. My guess is because they paid out so much nonsense money during peak their going to be anal about misloads now. Most of the time the people they send to help me misloads. These people don't care and aren't going to get in trouble for it. If your going to sign your write ups you make sure they list every persons name that helped you and put you had help on it. However you don't have to sign them at all. I had this same exact issue the other week where they switched all my trucks around and I ended up with 10 misloads in one week. Normally I am pretty good about misloads. Misloads must be their 2015 thing in UPS. It usually goes in cycles what they get anal about.

HardknocksUPSer

You pph is based on how many pieces your trucks get. If you get light trucks your pph is going to be low. You can't control the volume of packages your trucks get. My guess is because they paid out so much nonsense money during peak their going to be anal about misloads now. Most of the time the people they send to help me misloads. These people don't care and aren't going to get in trouble for it. If your going to sign your write ups you make sure they list every persons name that helped you and put you had help on it. However you don't have to sign them at all. I had this same exact issue the other week where they switched all my trucks around and I ended up with 10 misloads in one week. Normally I am pretty good about misloads. Misloads must be their 2015 thing in UPS. It usually goes in cycles what they get anal about.
I hope this vicious cycle ends in 2016, preferably before lol

HardknocksUPSer

This should have been a grievance for feeling threatened. A supervisor going nuts like this is a concern.
I feel threatened everyday I walk through the door, we are also told if we don't keep our misloads there's plenty of people who are ready to work who can, my job seems to be constantly held over my head as well as others.