Misload help, what works for you?

W

westsideworma

I think Sober has the right idea. Let's slow things down a bit for the preloader. I'm not a business owner, but I have some common sense. Let's break it down to one pull.

This is our business. One preloader making $9.50/hour, 4 package cars to load that get about 10 miles/ gallon at $2.50, using drivers making 29.13/hour.

Under the current system the preloader is forced to rush and finish his pull in X amount of hours and is NEVER allowed to go over 5 hours because that would spell OT at $14.25/ hour for a short time (10-20 min.). Under this system, he/she can't check both the PAL and address, look at the load chart verifying the load and then write with a crayon the load name and HIN #. If she were allowed to do this it would eliminate 99% of misloads.

Let's say you need to give the preloader an extra 15 minutes at a cost of $2.35 to do it this way. It will hurt the preload numbers but will help our little "1 pull" business tremendously and I will explain.

My car gets misloads everyday. Its always more than one and as high as 5. Multiply that by 4 cars and we have 8-20 potentially unserviced packages/day. Right there the pre-load $2.35 savings is made negligible.

Lets take the low number of 8 and cut it in half to be ultra conservative. If we generate $5 in revenue from each parcel(I'm guessing ) we will lose $20 in revenue from the misloads if the driver doesn't deliver them.

Right here our pull is losing $17.65 by hurrying the preloader off the clock. However, it gets more complicated because UPS' reputation is at stake for delivering packages on time and I can't assign a price to that.

Most times, drivers are directed to deliver misloads. Most times it takes me 15 minutes at a minimum to break trace at the closest point to the misload and get back. Multiply that by two and its .5 hours of OT labor of $43/hour or $21.50 plus fuel to gain $20 in revenue.

In either case, each driver solution appears futile for our little example business.

I just have one question for the people that really know the numbers. Why not just slow down the preload a little when you are only paying them $9.50/hour? Why solve the problem with drivers making the deliveries at $43/hour plus fuel costs?

The preload business goal must get flushed down the toilet once a NDA gets misloaded?

I'm just asking here...

Brownie I get you, I've been on both sides and not on the current one long enough to forget what I used to face everyday. If we slow down the preload it costs too much to run the preload (even if the driver side might be less money as a result of less misloads). The cost of misloads etc isn't directly factored into the preload's PPH number as far as I know. However, driver AM time is. I think you have your answer right there. Get it in and get them out the door. Is this the most accurate (or even correct) reasoning? probably not, but its how it looks from what I've seen day to day. I understand what you're saying (in the big picture, costs to UPS would be less), but I don't think theres a formula to measure that or a report to generate for it in the operation currently...so it doesn't matter :wink2:

That last part was a joke for my "monitoring" friends that observe and report what I say, as you clearly can't distinguish sometimes.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I don't understand. The only feasible way to "slow down" the work flow and preload properly, without excessive misloads (if any), is to hire more people to do the work. There is no such thing as keeping preloaders for trucks that are out the door or making the flow lighter.

The same amoutn of packages are jammed into cages or careening down the preload conveyers. The idea is UPS would be forced to hire more people and pay more insurance and costs and we KNOW they refuse to do it for the ridiculous profits. That ain't changing.

konsole

ok after preloading for 8 years let me lend a few bits of info here...

- too many packages for the preloaders to handle is rarely ever an issue. It is almost always too little time to handle those packages. 1k packages to load each mornng is doable but not in a 3.5 - 4 hour shift.

- yes there are many preloaders that are an issue and should not have been hired in the first place, and should be fired immediately. A majority of management either tries to kick start these employees or leaves them alone because the employees will turn to the union and then the management can't do anything. I have seen supervisors bring the actions of employees to the attention of management over and over again just to have the management brush it off. Once in a while something gets done but then a week or two later and the employee is back to their usual self and the cycle starts over.

- there is ABSOLUTELY nothing you can do to eliminate missloads. As long as humans are relied upon to do the job there will always be a certain margin of error which we must live with. A specific pattern in the missloads or a rather excessive amount for a moderately worked or less employee can be looked at, but for employees with heavy work loads and or a missload here or there with no pattern to them then nothing can and should be done in terms of punishment or changing methods.

- one of the most overlooked problems I see day to day is that good employees do not receive any kind of meaningful appreciation and the bad employees do not receive any kind of meaningful punishment. Saying good job day after day when the day before ended up well is great and all but after a little while it gets a bit old and stops being effective. A little prize here and there maybe? Perhaps a small raise on the current paycheck? Then on the other side the lazy/unmotivated/uncaring employees never receive any punishment that makes them think twice before they continue with their bad habits. For them its all just "well management most likely wont do anything to me and if they do then everything will be back to normal shortly after and I can then continue doing what I did before." Like I said I have seen supervisors get very frustrated with how their concerns about employees never get proper attention.

- for a preloader to go for an extended period of time without any missloads either means that the preloader has an easy job or the driver does not notice the missload or doesnt want to get the preloader, that they like, in trouble. I'm sure I missload some packages on a couple of my trucks that dont get reported and its probably because my drivers like me and don't want to lose me.

Dustyroads

I don't really know the answer, but I think it has something to do with the whole system. Lots of loaders have no idea at all where their drivers deliver. They never look at the real labels, because that is how they are trained.

Back in the day, before secquence numbers and PAL labels, I had loaders who never, ever had a misload, didn't have any secquence numbers, loaded everything by address, without a misload. We had a loader in the late 70's who had a record going of several years of no misloads, and she loaded three trucks with 150-200 stops every day. And, not only were there no misloads, everything was always in the same spot in the truck every day.

The obvious answer is to concentrate on one's job and avoid distractions. But, that doesn't seem to be enough to solve the problem.

With the PAL system, we have misloads happening every day that would have never, ever occurred if the loaders were looking at the real label on the package.

konsole

With the PAL system, we have misloads happening every day that would have never, ever occurred if the loaders were looking at the real label on the package.

This is what I do and its probably the main reason why I hardly ever get missloads. I load 2 mall vans and the sequence numbers have never been setup the way they should on those trucks, so I went to the malls website and saw were the stores were located and then made charts that list were all the stores should go on the truck. So that means I look at the original label first and then look at the PAL to make sure the right store name is on the PAL and that the store didnt get moved to a different truck.

Pump Up The Volume

I'm just curious what people do in other buildings to avoid misloads? Don't tell me read the label lol, I know that much. This is more for preloaders, I'm just curious what works for you guys. I have guys using the crayons and using the first letter of the PAL (provided they're all different). It was working great, but seems to be slipping a little lately. Granted pickoff thats been having issues has been getting slammed lately, but I'd still like to help him out.

Our dispatch supe also seems to be doing it smart (having neighboring routes loaded together for the most part) and I think that helps alleviate some of the packages not making service, but thats kind of just a safety net.

Just do what the on car sups and preload managers do and tell drivers not to sheet the package as missed