missed scans

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
They've been doing scan checks here also. I used to pull misloads off in the morning before leaving the building, but I recently found out that if the driver I give it to doesn't scan it, it will come back to me. That probably won't happen, but I like to be safe rather than sorry.

So, I no longer check for misloads in the morning. I wait until I get to them in sequence and send a message in, then I immediately sheet them as missed. If someone comes to get them, I will delete the missed status. If not, they stay as missed. I am very rarely told to deliver misloads.
That is a good idea. That should, very effectively, CYA.
Honestly that isn't really a problem where I'm at. Maybe our bigger shippers just don't risk it or something. I can see how a big account reusing boxes and not removing labels could hurt an operation.
Occasionally I have caught a pkg in load that I p/u the day before as an outbound, because the shipper did not cover or remove the old label. And sometimes they even slip through and get redelivered to the shipper. Doesn't make the shipper happy that their pkg will be delayed a day but it's their own fault. It usally only takes one or two times before they figure out what to do.

upsdude

Here’s our procedure……………….

Packages that are marked “Not Found” have to be written (just the address) on a list held by the PM OMS. We’re not allowed to send a text message to report a NF package.

If a business is closed for the day, service cross the package(s) and leave them under the belt if you catch it in the morning. As a CYA you also write them on the NF sheet at PM check in.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You guys are missing the biggest missed scan reason...some packages have 6 tracking labels on them from being reused,the sorters are pushed to go fast so they dont have time to care which one is the right one.
I scan every goddam label on every box and I HATE the diad 4 .I must have to key enter about 40 boxes a day when they wont scan.

DS, wouldn't Find BC help you in those situations?

PKGBOY

If you know you did your job the way these Puppet Masters want you to, you have nothing to worry about.

If you missed something and want to hide it, you asking for trouble.

They trying to watch everything - all management has nothing better to do than to point blame, even when their system is wrong. And by all means never tell them there is a problem in system - they don't and won't think so, or just too ignorant to fix it.

If they claim you did miss it and you know you didn't - tell them to piss off or show you proof, don't let them push you around for their mistakes.

brownrodster

I haven't had a blend again since I was a fairly new driver but I have legitametely lost delivery pkgs in my pickups. that happens when your pickups fill up a p12 100% and you still have 40-50 stops left.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I hate it when that happens Rodster. I had a PO pkg fall off the shelf a few weeks ago. I would have taken to the house of one of the women that works at that PO but I didn't know exactly what house was hers. I knew what neighborhood she lived in. I found out the next day, though. There are times it pays of in spades, knowing where your customers live and work.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I hate it when that happens Rodster. I had a PO pkg fall off the shelf a few weeks ago. I would have taken to the house of one of the women that works at that PO but I didn't know exactly what house was hers. I knew what neighborhood she lived in. I found out the next day, though. There are times it pays of in spades, knowing where your customers live and work.

Very true, dilli. I have lots of customers that live, and work on my route. If I ever need a signature for one of them, I know exactly where to go. They always tell me how much they appreciate the service.

BrownSuit

Honestly that isn't really a problem where I'm at. Maybe our bigger shippers just don't risk it or something. I can see how a big account reusing boxes and not removing labels could hurt an operation.

It's not the big shippers, but it's your Residential Shippers and Mom and Pop operations that make up a rather large portion of our customer base.

They don't know where to get boxes, don't want to go to a UPS store, and figure they can just use another box. These are the folks that get hit the hardest with damage claims.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's where the 6 sided scan and a quick assessment of the box itself come into play. I have had to refuse a pickup on several occassions simply because the box would not make it through our system and have had to cross out double labels to ensure that only the proper label is used. I P/U at a MBE where many people bring their prepaid dropoffs and have had to refuse service on some of those. Some folks just don't have a clue while others just don't give a :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:.

hdkappler

No missed scans when you are on EDD. It will tell you exactly how many boxes for one stop. The only problem is when you can't find that last package for that one stop anywhere in your truck, you mark it on the DIAD as "not found" and then find it when the truck starts emptying out. Another stop you have to go back to.
the center i retired from onfriday night it would get del on monday.

hdkappler

missed scans or missed pkgs.do they do an aduit on friday nights?at youre center?they used to go home on fri.night at 6.00 in my old center.course things have changed since i retired.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
missed scans or missed pkgs.do they do an aduit on friday nights?at youre center?they used to go home on fri.night at 6.00 in my old center.course things have changed since i retired.
Missed scans. But technically they are still missed pkgs. Let's say I have pkg A/B/C and they show out for del that day. ALOT of times (to many), pkgs A/B will get scanned but C will not. However C will still be del. Sometimes Pkg C will be found in load, I'm asssuming, and the driver decides to not del and bury it in pick ups.

My concern with this is when pkg C gets left at the center and the driver is now being charged with a missed scan when it wasn't even on the truck. I don't think this is right. We have way to many sissed scans and though I know we have drivers that would bury pkgs to avoid going back to del, it's hard to believe that it happens that frequently. I think they audit this on a daily basis because it happens so often.

It sucks to go back but I don't like taking send-agains back in if I don't have to. We have to sign a log at the clerks station now for all send agains and clerk pkgs.

thebrownbox

A supervisor goes on your car during the pre-load and scans roughly 100-125 packages.

The computer looks for those tracking numbers after you punch out.

Drivers have been getting busted for hiding missed pieces by throwing them on the belt at the end of day.

I had one show up a while back, found out the sup had scanned a “double label”. The “missed” tracking number showed up as being delivered a couple weeks earlier in another city.

If you're sure you scanned everything, track the one you "missed".

I had to scan a truck while loading it was almost for 3 weeks because from what I was told was the same reason you said. Now they may sometimes have to scan because they say they need to have 3,000 scans for the total building..

also I had the issue of UPS drivers not wanting to deliver to my apartment only because they said they could not find it.. (not true) it's always fun to see out for delivery and being home all day then to check the tracking again and says I was not home... and No knock or no info notice left..

After they found out I worked at the center I fixed that real quick (I also called about 4 times to complain)

Last edited:

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Over here, if we have a misload we send a message to the center with the address and if the PAL label matches the address or not. If it's within reason we're suppose to deliver it. If not, they will come out and get it and shuttle it to the right driver. If it's to far away we sheet it as missed and bring it back. We don't get into trouble for the missed package because it's recorded as a misload or a sync error in the center. Our OMS's are really good about this. No reason to risk your job over something so stupid.