Missed work- HALF HOUR LATE

MichaelCroland

So I started working at a UPS Customer Care Center as a part time H.V clerk on May, and going through a temp agency. During from the time I started, I arrive to work a half hour before scheduled work time daily and begin work about five minute-ish before work time. I had to call in twice for sick days. Once on my third week of work and one earlier July. Even after calling in before work hour I still feel like it'll look bad on me.

Not until today.

I overslept a HALF HOUR past my starting shift and called in to both the company and my temp agency, and haven't received any calls/text from my supervisor. So at the moment I'm kinda just pacing around, EXTREMELY worried because as working part time, there shouldn't be an excuse to be late at all imo.

I was too afraid to still try to go to work because it was way past my scheduled work start time. What's the most that could happen?

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
So I started working at a UPS Customer Care Center as a part time H.V clerk on May, and going through a temp agency. During from the time I started, I arrive to work a half hour before scheduled work time daily and begin work about five minute-ish before work time. I had to call in twice for sick days. Once on my third week of work and one earlier July. Even after calling in before work hour I still feel like it'll look bad on me.

Not until today.

I overslept a HALF HOUR past my starting shift and called in to both the company and my temp agency, and haven't received any calls/text from my supervisor. So at the moment I'm kinda just pacing around, EXTREMELY worried because as working part time, there shouldn't be an excuse to be late at all imo.

I was too afraid to still try to go to work because it was way past my scheduled work start time. What's the most that could happen?
Use your imagination, accidents happen, you should call in at least and let them know what happened, and ask if you are still needed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

For all intents and purposes you are not a UPS employee------you work for a temp agency-----UPS will simply hire someone else from that same temp agency.

Buy an alarm clock.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
...you mean rather than go online to try to figure out what his options were....?

Yes, he should have gone in as soon as he could.

What is wrong with kids today?

You asked, so I'll tell you.

He reasoned that since he was already late, he would just take the day.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
For all intents and purposes you are not a UPS employee------you work for a temp agency-----UPS will simply hire someone else from that same temp agency.

Buy an alarm clock.
Up, You know it's wrong to ask the young generation to get up on time for a work commitment. How dare you!

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I was late 3 times my whole career at UPS. 38 years. Maybe because you work for a temp agency, you don't have the commitment to get up and go to work because you know they will put you to work somewhere else? (damn, I hate to admit this) I very seldom agree with Dave, but get TWO alarm clocks and put them across the room somewhere. If you don't show up to work at UPS, they will find someone else to do your job. Good luck to you.

Nimnim

The Nim
Ok, you woke up late, :censored2: happens. Even the most responsible person has a situation like this at least once. You called/texted at least 2 entities and no response, it's also not that far into the start of your assigned shift. NO reason not to go in albeit late. Show up and they say you're late go home, ok. You still showed up. You're on your way in and they respond to your messages from you saying you're not needed, turn around and go home.

30 minutes into 4-8 hour shift isn't so bad you don't show up. Wake up 3 hours into a 4 hour shift and there's no reason to go in after you told them you friend'd up. 8 hour shift and it depends on how the workflow is but if they don't respond you still show up.

It's personal responsibility. You have a job and someone to report to. No one has 100% attendance in the long run, but when you have an issue and can still make it in you do it unless you get a response to not bother or it's simply too late to be feasible. This isn't a UPS thing, but a personal work ethic that too many don't have these days.

MichaelCroland

Well guys in my defense this is my first actual paying job so I freaked out and didn't know what to do other than call. My previous job, you're five-ten minutes late don't even bother showing up. (My first "job" @ P&G, quit after temp agency told us we won't be working for two weeks without explanation. Only been able to work three weeks.)

oldngray

nowhere special
double-facepalm1.jpg

Well guys in my defense this is my first actual paying job so I freaked out and didn't know what to do other than call. My previous job, you're five-ten minutes late don't even bother showing up. (My first "job" @ P&G, quit after temp agency told us we won't be working for two weeks without explanation. Only been able to work three weeks.)
The temp agency will simply assign you to another temp job. The rest is up to you.

SixSidedAnomaly

Take it as a valuable lesson then.