Mite get screwed with ground pkgs.

Fragiledonthrow

Because Ground drivers beat up Express drivers and take their lunch money.

Honestly though. I think most do exactly that.
I think we shouldnt. Don't get me wrong.. I have done it. But then I start thinking. If a ground driver picked it up. It generates revenue for his employment. If an express driver picks it up. It doesn't benefit my station or my coworker. And maybe it just puts money in my SM's bottom line. Also just maybe it's giving fedex money while xing out a courier. In some weird way. IMO

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I think we shouldnt. Don't get me wrong.. I have done it. But then I start thinking. If a ground driver picked it up. It generates revenue for his employment. If an express driver picks it up. It doesn't benefit my station or my coworker. And maybe it just puts money in my SM's bottom line. Also just maybe it's giving fedex money while xing out a courier. In some weird way. IMO

But if the ground driver lets the box sit there for days, id pick it up and send a cpc message to check their listings and cancel it.

I also had a 1-box pick up, while i was delivering to a business. I asked them if u called it in yet... nope so i scanned it as an unlisted p/up and sent a cpc to check. My HD scanner is compatible since we're going to drop the HD name anyways.

I'll even cross paths with the ground driver in my area to exchange some stops if we have the time

Fragiledonthrow

But if the ground driver lets the box sit there for days, id pick it up and send a cpc message to check their listings and cancel it.

I also had a 1-box pick up, while i was delivering to a business. I asked them if u called it in yet... nope so i scanned it as an unlisted p/up and sent a cpc to check. My HD scanner is compatible since we're going to drop the HD name anyways.

I'll even cross paths with the ground driver in my area to exchange some stops if we have the time
Between HD and ground is fine. But what about an express courier? Fedex is so hard on that " ground is an isp" but now in meetings they are telling express drivers to pick up ground pkgs at express boxes or else.

OrioN

If its just a box or 3, i dont think they give a flying friend.... but if its a bulk p/up, or something too heavy remind the customer to pick up da dayum phone and dial 1.800.Go.FedEx and schedule a ground driver to pick them up, yo!

Tell them you're an airline employee that has to make it back to the hub so yo parcels can make the flight deadline & you don't have time to shuttle ground stuff...politely, of course

OrioN

Oops, ps if it's already crammed into an express dropbox, then yea bring it back to your hub & theyll just have to call the ground driver to pick them up from there

fdxsux

The reason you don't pick up a ground pkg is because the only reason ground exisits is so FedEx can pay the express driver less. Why the hell would you help them?.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
No proof of possession ...no chain of custody. Customer is S.O.L., if package is lost or otherwise disappears because there would be no scans performed until a Ground employee takes possession. Advise them of the gamble they are taking, most will rescind their request that Express handle it.

OrioN

I think the OPs concern was those ground boxes left at the express-only dropboxes, hence my oops reply

PS, why would a shipper do a return-via-express? The customer doesn't care if its a day to three delay once it gets from my HD hub to an express driver, who visits us almost daily anyways

Last edited:

It will be fine

I think the OPs concern was those ground boxes left at the express-only dropboxes, hence my oops reply

PS, why would a shipper do a return-via-express? The customer doesn't care if its a day to three delay once it gets from my HD hub to an express driver, who visits us almost daily anyways
Why would a shipper use most express offerings? Ground covers most of the country in 2 days, just about everything besides coast to coast in 3. They still use express because they don't know any better/ it's how they've always done things.

dvalleyjim

Customer insisted how I must take a ground package today at a drop box. He went into detail on wherever he printed the ground label. It specified that package could be left at any express box.

Just curious. Why wouldn't you pick-up a ground pkg at a FedEx drop box? Is it against the rules.

OrioN

Im not an independent contractor either, just an employee of a middleman.

Customers still dont know the difference between ground (green) vs. NDA, express (orange).

Theyll flag me down waving that express doortag, and i'll immediately ask is the "Ex" green.... oops! Theyll retreat back to their home or i told em to call that 800 # if u cant wait and just go pick it up yourself after the posted time on the doortag

DontThrowPackages

Customer insisted how I must take a ground package today at a drop box. He went into detail on wherever he printed the ground label. It specified that package could be left at any express box.
Remember the raise? Nothing was taken away this time? They take. They always take. Express power pad can now scan Ground labels. After peak, some system of ground PU by express drivers will probably happen. A customer who sees his box sit in the mailroom for 3 days while the express driver steps over it will be more incline to use ground even more once he sees that box will be pup on the same day along with his express. This will free up Ground to deliver more stops while the express driver is picking up the 30 ground boxes at one stop.

OrioN

Key words: drop box, take those that were crammed in there

Those 30 ground boxes that the express driver is tripping over should be called in so that ground driver in the area will get a cpc text message to retrieve them.

In my area, the cpc people are pretty efficient returning my texts within 2 minutes or less

Bingo

If in a drop box scan you are suppose to take the package, there is an option in that scan that will allow you to actually scan the ground pk. When you get back to the station give it to a csa and they will perform another scan. If you are not in a drop box scan politely explain to the customer that you can only take packages that have an E on the label. Those packages go to the airport tonight while their package with a G goes to a separate trucking terminal and you are unable to take their pk.

OrioN

Thanks for confirming that was my guess in the earlier replies i made...

Just tell them to call the 800# for a fx ground or hd pickup, or tell em to drop it off in the nearest FedEx office

robdabanks

I get customers trying to give be express boxes daily. I tell them I can't take it and to call express. I will tell the express driver where the boxes are so he's not stuck out there later picking them up

dezguy

Had three customers last week try to give me their Ground misdels. Sorry, give them to your Ground guy tomorrow or call the 1-800 number and have them swing by later today.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
My simple solution is to PUP Ground packages in a dropbox by typing in the tracking number, processing it as a P1, labelling it Express, and sending it through the system. Figure the confusion generated is worth the effort!