MLK Day

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by nystripe96, Jan 10, 2012.

1. nystripe96

nystripe96 Active Member

Is Martin Luther King day considered a working holiday, or is it a paid off day (inside employee)? How about Presidents Day?

2. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

Nope, neither is a holiday of any kind.

3. cachsux

cachsux Wah

You get to honor Dr. King by working along side your co-workers of all races and religions equally for whatever your guaranteed minimum hours are.

4. nystripe96

nystripe96 Active Member

5. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

I think it should be declared a national holiday.

6. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

I think it should be declared a national holiday like the fourth, memorial, and labor day.

7. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

Yeah, like JFK day!!

8. gostillerz

gostillerz Member

Why?

9. rocket man

rocket man Well-Known Member

HOW long have you worked for ups ?

10. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I think he just started his 6th month.

11. brownelf

brownelf Active Member

the contract demands meetings will be scheduled soon in most areas, if you feel strongly about this or any other issue that affects you that is the time to address them. Personnally I'd prefer an additional option day rather than any additional scheduled holiday. It would give me the option to observe whatever holiday that was important to me.

12. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

The Supes handed out a sheet with all of our business stops listed and wanted us to indicate which are closed for MLK day. I wrote "Really?" on it in big letters and handed it back. This might be a holiday in NY or DC but not small town WI. Sadly they will still cut areas as if it were a holiday.

13. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

For what the man did for civil rights. He knew he would be a target and die and he stood up to the man looked him in the eye and said I'm still here. He is a great honorary Teamster and a friend of Jesus. There isn't many men who had the stones that he had. A lot of people who are a little racist or full blow racist question this holiday but what they fail to recognize amongst other things is the fact that if we didn't have people with guts like him we would all be second class eventually. Great American

14. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

Nice post, 407!

15. gostillerz

gostillerz Member

So what if I did? I bust my ass, and do the best I can. You're an outside hire with internet tough guy syndrome.

And people wonder why more UPS workers don't join this site.

16. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

Was Upstate refering to you or the OP?

17. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

It doesn't matter because he just pimp slapped upstate. Plus what he said was dead on.

18. gostillerz

gostillerz Member

He was a good guy, and he believed in God.

I don't understand that if I disagree with making MLK's birthday a national holiday, I'm a "little or full blown" racist. Clarify that please?

19. gostillerz

gostillerz Member

I wasn't ripping on you, just the Andy Capp putz.

20. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

Sorry I wasn't saying you were a racist if you feel I was I apologize.