MLK Day

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I think it should be declared a national holiday like the fourth, memorial, and labor day.
Why? While we are at it give the head of women's rights a national holiday and make cinco de mayo one ( which is actually only really celebrated in one town in Mexico) I think my bday should be a holiday sure everyone else feels the same. Any other holidays people want while 407 is handing them out.

moreluck

golden ticket member
When I think of MLK's self proclaimed apostles or disciples......Al Sharpton & Jessie Jackson, I want to gag. They seem to start every sentence with...."when I marched with Dr. King..."

I believe that listening to MLK's niece (I believe) and her feeling on things, makes more sense that listening to those 2 stooges.

You've got the MLK day, I just don't know how many folks shut down for that day.

Why? While we are at it give the head of women's rights a national holiday and make cinco de mayo one ( which is actually only really celebrated in one town in Mexico) I think my bday should be a holiday sure everyone else feels the same. Any other holidays people want while 407 is handing them out.
Just imagine being a black man or woman in those days. Being guilty by skin color and this man comes in like super man and does what he did. Think about it brother.

Ps I also think Jews who survived and fell victim to the Holocaust were Hero's also. I will always pick the underdog or the bullied that why I am a steward. I want to keep the piece and prolong equality.

menotyou

bella amicizia
How about the day after the Super Bowl.
Black Friday?
My birthday?
The day Upstate/Nancy retires?

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
The Supes handed out a sheet with all of our business stops listed and wanted us to indicate which are closed for MLK day. I wrote "Really?" on it in big letters and handed it back. This might be a holiday in NY or DC but not small town WI. Sadly they will still cut areas as if it were a holiday.

So, in a way, it is a UPS holiday.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
I like MLK. HE was Christian & played a non- violent, peacefull approuch unlike Malcom X, power 2 da people, Black panther, etc. He was against all that so I respect him in what he was.

The views on Muslims were obviously different back then than they are now. Back then it wouldn't be nearly the #1 reason he was hated, or admired, by a long shot. Today all the internet conspirisists would have a field day speculating just as they do with O'Bama as well as their theories on his part in 9/11.

moreluck

golden ticket member
The views on Muslims were obviously different back then than they are now. Back then it wouldn't be nearly the #1 reason he was hated, or admired, by a long shot. Today all the internet conspirisists would have a field day speculating just as they do with O'Bama as well as their theories on his part in 9/11.
Back then, dinosaur times, I knew I didn't care for Malcolm X, Louis Farrakhan (sp) and the black suits that surrounded them. My fear factor said to stay away from them just like I would stay away from the Cosa Nostra families.

When Ali went Muslim and changed his name, that was just confusing to a young mind. I liked Ali and the hi-jinx in the ring. Of course, Sammy Davis Jr. went Jewish, so I was totally confused.

Back then, I wasn't aware of any sand countries........the closest I came was Ahab the Arab by Ray Stevens.....and travelog programs like Jim Doney's Adventure Road touring the pyramids and such.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If Dr. King was alive today, I think he would question the wisdom of having a so-called holiday named after him.

It is only a "holiday" in the sense that government offices, schools, banks and the Post Offices are all closed. For the majority of working Americans, it is not really a holiday at all. And for working parents with school age children, it can actually be a burden to have to arrange for child care on what would otherwise be a school day.

Dr King was a great man and he should be honored and remembered, but shutting down the schools and not delivering the mail is a poor way to accomplish that. Perhaps a better way to honor him would be to keep the schools open and have them spend the entire day educating the children on the history of the civil rights movement instead of just closing the school doors and letting the kids stay home and watch TV.