Mobile Shipping Villages?

Discussion in 'FedEx Discussions' started by MassWineGuy, Nov 2, 2014.

1. MassWineGuy

MassWineGuy Active Member

I read the latest UPS news on this site and one story mentioned UPS setting up "mobile shipping villages." Can any of our colleagues on the brown side furnish more information about this?

2. Shifting Contents

Shifting Contents Most Help Needed

I don't know OFFICIALLY, but I know one of our hubs built a temp center out of modular trailers that is taking 3 zip codes from the nearby major metro area. I believe this is what they are referring to.

3. MassWineGuy

Sounds very interesting and promising to me. Both our companies better be thinking outside of the box a bit more this year. I think charging more to ship things the closer to Christmas companies ship could encourage them not to promise Christmas delivery for orders made through Dec. 23rd.

4. Cactus

Cactus Just telling it like it is

I've seen a lot of customers that promise the moon on a silver platter type delivery as late as December 23rd. They think there's some kind of magic involved.

5. SmithBarney

SmithBarney Well-Known Member

One thing we were told is that we WILL cut off Amazon and other shippers if the system starts to hit max capacity leading up to xmas... One of the reasons that you will probably see a push retailers this year for earlier sales. Probably won't work, and holiday failures will become part of the norm, kinda like a lottery, maybe you'll get your stuff, maybe you won't..

6. MassWineGuy

Most people believe it is magic, that the packages deliver themselves. Few stop to think that it comes down to a dedicated person driving a truck.

7. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Oh really. Just ONE dedicated person to deliver a package across the country?

8. MassWineGuy

Don't you believe in Santa Claus?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Route 66

Route 66 Flacid Member

well, let's say it comes down to several disgruntled persons driving trucks and vans.

ahhh, the magic!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Cactus

Cactus Just telling it like it is

Well that would be nice and maybe people would get the hint, you snooze, you lose but FedEx will most likely give in especially if UPS does too.

Personally, I think they're saying this to sugar-coat the horrible situation they've gotten themselves into in the last several peak seasons.

11. TheJackal

TheJackal Active Member

I don't care who told you this. The FedEx hierarchy will never admit we can't handle whatever amount is thrown at us.
    Picture this conversation, which will never happen:
    FedEx: Sorry, you're shipping way to much. We have to cut you off for today.
    Amazon: No problem, I'm sure UPS will be MORE than happy to take the work.

12. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Uh from what I understand fedex does this every year.

13. STFXG

STFXG Well-Known Member

We do. Pretty common knowledge.

14. MassWineGuy

Of course FedEx can handle any volume. Just look how well it did during the last UPS strike.

15. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Wut?

16. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

He has to be joking.

17. Shifting Contents

Shifting Contents Most Help Needed

Well, The last time ups went on strike the only thing we got that hasn't been given back in subsequent contracts was FEDEX Ground.

18. MassWineGuy

Yes, I was joking. Both FedEx and the USPS were totally overwhelmed and unable to handle the volume efficienly.

19. hypo hanna

hypo hanna Well-Known Member

Effeciently? Hell we couldn't handle it at all. That was the craziest two weeks of my 30 years at this nuthouse.
    Funny thing is, I wanted to see ups strike again on this last contract. Watch fedex try and absorb that volume with the workforce they have today.

20. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

With PAS/EDD UPS would have been able to hire replacement workers and get the packages delivered, albeit at a much slower pace and with much less work on the cars.