Momma don't take my Kodachrome away

moreluck

golden ticket member
Obama is now probably forming a committee to throw $$billions at Kodak and save it !!! Kodak failed to adjust to customer needs just like G.M. did. There are consequences.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Obama is now probably forming a committee to throw $$billions at Kodak and save it !!! Kodak failed to adjust to customer needs just like G.M. did. There are consequences.

A bankruptcy at GM would have had a much greater impact on the industry as whole than a bankruptcy at Kodak. Saving GM was the right thing to do--GM turning around and giving profit sharing checks to their employees was not.

Kodak is (was) a large part of the Rochester, NY, economy and it will very hard to fill that void.

klein

Für Meno :)
UpState, a little history lesson of Rochester and Kodak (great article, and Kodak was at 1 time a beautiful company to work for) ! :)

Insight: Hometown weary but defiant as Kodak's problems worsen

ROCHESTER, NY (Reuters) - With investors placing bets on whether Eastman Kodak will file for bankruptcy, there is not so much a sense of crisis as a feeling of resignation and fatigue among the residents in its hometown.
At one point, the company employed more than 60,000 people in Rochester in upstate New York, where it was born more than 130 years ago. Now, that number is closer to 7,000 - and it has been decades since the company, once synonymous with photography, began its downward slide.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Way back when the first digital cameras started being used by everyone, my first thoughts were, "This puts Kodak out of business!" That was a long time ago. Why didn't Kodak see that? 20 years ago or however long it's been, they could've sent their company in a different direction and flourished....they didn't.

I liken it to a restaurant.......what if all the people started eating vegan and your restaurant served all meats. If you don't adapt to the trend, you'll have no customers.

klein

Für Meno :)
Way back when the first digital cameras started being used by everyone, my first thoughts were, "This puts Kodak out of business!" That was a long time ago. Why didn't Kodak see that? 20 years ago or however long it's been, they could've sent their company in a different direction and flourished....they didn't.

I liken it to a restaurant.......what if all the people started eating vegan and your restaurant served all meats. If you don't adapt to the trend, you'll have no customers.

Maybe they had a CEO like Herman Cain ?

menotyou

bella amicizia
Herman Cain was the CEO of Godfathers Pizza. My understanding, as he said on Imus the other morning, was it was a leveraged buyout of s company that was bloated to begin with. This coincided with the downturn in the economy. The company is still viable, he said, but he did trim a lot of fat to try and save the company. They never went bankrupt ended his watch. He has since sold his interest in the company.