Momma said there would be days like this......well....maybe not momma

BrownArmy

Here's 220 stops in a 700:

maroon.jpeg

Loader is a nice guy but he's a little special.
maroon.jpeg

menotyou

bella amicizia
Here is a question, Should the driver forgo a raise so this pre-loader can get a better raise over the next contract?

Just asking......
No. That preloader should be given adequate time to load the trucks. That alone would jack his pay without a raise. Drivers should not have any load/sort time.
I agree with another posters idea of giving larger raises to seasoned preloaders.

Stop hiring pulses.

washington57

No. That preloader should be given adequate time to load the trucks. That alone would jack his pay without a raise. Drivers should not have any load/sort time.
I agree with another posters idea of giving larger raises to seasoned preloaders.

Stop hiring pulses.

I agree 100% and I have some thoughts about preloading.

I'm not a FT driver but I am a sat air driver and have worked every shift UPS has and have sorted for years, unloaded, loaded feeders, SPA, Iregs,boxline and preloaded quite a bit in the past decade. Preloading is definitely the hardest job I've ever done at UPS. How well a PC is loaded can make or break a driver's day. Personally, I feel that the preload job should have a 3-5$ hr pay increase.

Additionally, UPS should help provide more tools to ensure preloaders don't misload and place stops in the correct order. I think this could be done by giving loaders more tools to ensure a well loaded PC. One thing would be a better report than the bulk report preloaders get each day. I think something that detailed the cube size of the bulk pieces, iregs, EVERY stop- not just bulk.It would also help if there was a way for the PDS guys to not assign the 40 pieces of 50lb bulk pieces to the upper shelves.

Another thing would be for PAS to be tweaked slightly so that preloaders don't end up with trucks that have the almost identical labels in the same set. An example would be two PC assigned as 111D next to 110B with duplicate bulk stops that are 4655 or something. This scenario happens all too often.

Then we have the add/cut shenanigans every day... this needs to be addressed. No add/cuts after 6am IMO. Any later and many problems arise. (also IE needs to start adding time for preloaders to deal with the add/cuts that happen...all of those boxes end up being doubled handled through no fault of the preloader then are rushed by their sups to hurry and wrap even though they spent 30min doing add/cuts)

I could go on about all the things I think are wrong with the PAS but it really comes down to properly dispatching trucks and giving preloaders more information about what they will be loading each day so they can plan out the loads.

Also, more time for the loaders! I don't know what they are thinking when they give some people 1200 pieces, 4 package cars and start them at 4am and expect them to wrapped by 8:30 each day. Every day the front end has to send people to pull bins to help these people wrap. I don't mind the OT but it is ridiculous that UPS sets up its preloaders to fail every day even though preloaders have one of the most important jobs at UPS.

Anyway, I think UPS should either pay preloaders A LOT more because of the crap they have to deal with each day or give them more time, better dispatched trucks, and more information each day on what exactly they will be loading.