Monday announcement?

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Let me preface this by saying that my knowledge of the freight side of our industry is limited at best. So, having said that, do we really need Yellow if we already have UPS Freight? I know that UPS Freight was Overnite but do not know if they were nationwide or regional.

It was also Motor Cargo over here on the west side of the states

DS

Fenderbender
upstatnyer your my hero you are a wealth of information of what? ive yet to figure out.
This comment is a good example of a flame.
the poster had nothing to add about the actual subject of the thread .
The old line if you dont have anything nice to say say nothing comes to mind.

barnyard

KTM rider
instead of deleteing it I'm making rocketman put gum on his nose

In our area, Yellow has a very strong presence with a terminal here and more to the north and west. We are at the very edge of UPS Freight's operating territory. They will deliver, put no P/U.

I also understand that UPS Freight does not have a very strong presence in the west or northwest.

Curious what the announcement will be in the am.

TB

drewed

Shankman
interesting thought, maybe make the company private again?
I mean we're technically losing money when people dump our stocks (and its been happening quite a bit lately) we have the cash to do it

Leftinbuilding

paid, to the contrary

their shares are worth less than ever before. german postal service would love to get out from underneath something they thought would be a cake walk, but instead was a real catfight. ups has the available cash.....

it would be right on so many different levels, buying their operations really makes a ton of sense.

we didnt so much let them as they took the lead and we have been playing catchup ever since? some of the responses are also factors.

their commercials placed fedex as a household term meaning to get it there overnight. not just the noun, but a verb as well. it was at that point they were the undisputed leader in the customers mind.

while ups was focused on growing things within, fdx began to expand by buying operations that ups made fun of, and turned them into a serious competition to ups operations. caught us with our pants around our ankles when we tried to run after them.

they have led in so many ways, and ups has played catch up. it has only been in the last few years we have taken the fight to them. so far they have answered every volley thrown at them.

we will see what this one brings?

d

This is so true. I remember hearing customers asking their vendors "Can you FedEx it UPS?" I thought UPS made a major mistake in calling our overnight service "Next Day Air". Talk about boring. I suggested early on (I was younger then and actually thought the honchos might listen to a nobody. Kinda embarrassing to think about now.) a name change to "UPS Jet". To my thinking, it kinda rolled off the tongue a little easier, and conveyed a sense of speed and urgency. "Send it UPS Jet!" As usual, I was ignored. :sad-little:

rushfan

More district/division re-alignments. Southern Idaho will become part of the Portland District, and Utah will become part of the Sac-Valley District.-That's one rumor I've heard.

BrownSuit

I heard the announcement was that Red was being hired on into Management . . .

I doubt anything serious would happen with DHL. We are already under the gun for the airlift and congress investigating it because of the job loss from DHL and the belief that it was anti-competitive.

Besides, DHL has a failing operation domestically and an infrastructure that is falling apart.

Some possible announcements as Hoaxter mentioned include changes to UPS.com or the 800-PICK-UPS.

We have already made changes to allow a new prompt for callers to open accounts within seconds of calling. There have been massive mailing marketing campaigns and direct mail campaigns.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I heard the announcement was that Red was being hired on into Management . . .

The day i go into management is the same day ups would fire me!

This would probably help UPS's bottom line if i was out of the way and not filing grievances on sups working.

Probably worthy of holding a press conference over.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Would you like me to use smaller words just for you? Better yet, I will check with Cheryl to see if I can use crayon when I am posting on a thread that I know you will be having read to you so that you can understand.

If rocket's post was a flame, this was retardant. Nice come back, upstate.

cajunboy

Heard that DHL laid off 90% of thier sales staff last week, and that some big wig polititicians are putting the nix on the DHL deal.
cajunboy

Johney

We were told friday that starting monday UPS will no longer hold ground packages for 5 days after the third attempt. They will still hold all other levels of service just not ground.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
A lot of good suggestions in this post. The bottom line is that UPS has a lot of cash in their pockets and a lot of companies don't. I would love to see UPS go back to a private company. A lot of employee problems have started when management cared more about the stockholders than their own people.
I'm glad UPS is in the position they are in and hope to see more smart moves in the future.