More Bad News for Fred

rod

Retired 22 years
You know what they say-- if it look like a duck and quacks like a duck it must be a-------------------------------------------Fedex employee- not an independent contractor. Fred- what color is the sky in your world?:wink2:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
thats about 72 grand per contractor, before lawyers fees.

multiply that times the number of contractors, that is a serious hit.

and that does not include what the feds will hammer them with. SS tax just to name one.

d

DS

Fenderbender
Can anyone tell me why they dont just combine express and ground into one big company like us?If they hired a few contracters to full time as well as utilizing its fedex express drivers,this would be effective in reducing costs because the operation would be twice as productive.
Oh yea,and they would have to work (hard)for a change.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
That's still pocket change for Fred. Let's wait and see what happens next. Maybe they will be forced to combine services, as DS stated.

Overpaid Union Thug

Can anyone tell me why they dont just combine express and ground into one big company like us?If they hired a few contracters to full time as well as utilizing its fedex express drivers,this would be effective in reducing costs because the operation would be twice as productive.

I think it would cost FedEx too much $$$ to combine the two. If they combined then they'd have to start running both out of the same buildings. It would cost billions of dollars to consolidate them. If they did that it would probably be simpler to move Express into Ground hubs but they have to add on to just about every Ground hub and station in order to be able to accomplish that but that wouldn't be cheap to do.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
It would be nice if there was a labor union that could organize Fedex. Fedex isn't doing that great with volume either. I have a Fedex Ground Contractor that lives on my area. A few years ago, he had four trucks sitting in his driveway on Monday, their off day. Lately, I have noticed two on Monday, and one of those sitting there during the rest of the week.

Treegrower

Acually there are quite a few labor unions that would love to organize FedEx. NOT talking about Fed ex ground (green and whilte) but rather the original overnight Fed Ex (blue and purple and red) I am sure that you know that the original overnight/express FedEx was charted/organized as a company under the Railway Labor Act, thus making it almost impossible to organize them. Fred knew what he was doing and has the track record to prove it. To loosely qoute a line from The Godfather II "very difficult, not impossible, but very difficult."
I do not believe for a second that no one has tried to organize them or at least tried to sow the seeds, but as I said there are HUGE stumbling blocks and HUGE obstacles in place as far as organizing FedEx(express and overnight) goes

atatbl

I cant tell you for a fact why they do not combine. Different government regulations for different services are the status quo right now. If combined, it will take FedEx on a very unpleasant journey through standardizing different regulations for ALL of their ground drivers. It would do more damage to Fred than any type of unionizing ever will.

705red

Browncafe Steward
It would be nice if there was a labor union that could organize FedEx. FedEx isn't doing that great with volume either. I have a FedEx Ground Contractor that lives on my area. A few years ago, he had four trucks sitting in his driveway on Monday, their off day. Lately, I have noticed two on Monday, and one of those sitting there during the rest of the week.
This could also be because fed ex has taken the work away from him. I am a volunteer organizer and the FedEx sups know me by name when we show up on their property because i really love giving it to them in front of the workers.

You would be surprised at some of the stories that i could tell you on how they treat their employees. They have 0 rights and even though they invest in purchasing the trucks, maintaining the trucks, gassing the trucks FedEx will just up and cancel their relationship with these drivers because they can.

You will see alot more lawsuits like this in the near future, this is because the teamsters are behind it. You cant beat Fred in Washington, just to many republicans friends of his.

So the teamsters have been very en-forceful on handling this on a state by state basis by filing these complaints with the attorney general and to my knowledge has not lost one yet.

Our day at walking into FedEx and organizing them is down the road, but everyone here can help on election day.

We all have our candidates that we are voting for for one reason or another democrat, Republican, independent but i believe that we all agree on the employee free choice act. Its very important for us to vote yes on this issue.

This will make organizing easier, as it is right now you have to have 30% of any work group sign cards and than register it with the NLRB. The NLRB than has 90 days to hold a work place election in this time the company than fires the supporters and intimidates the employees to vote against joining the union.

Under this new proposal the company will have to recognize the union with a majority of cards that have been signed by a work group.

When we organize here we will not go to the NLRB with less than 60% of cards, because people will get intimidated.

Under the new plan the company will not have enough time to badger the employees. Now i know some of you really don't like the union, but you do like your pension,Right?

If we cant keep up with organizing and giving others the chance to have rights in the work place, than its only a matter of time before our pension plans will be depleted.

BrownSuit

FedEx Express was organized as an airline and falls under the Railway Labor Act, whereas FedEx Ground was organized as a Common Carrier and falls under the National Labor Relations Act.

Basically if you want to Unionize FedEx Express you have to go to the entire company, whereas FedEx ground, you can go one terminal at a time.

The problem with that is that there is nobody to unionize, keep in mind they are all "Independent Contractors". The only thing that FedEx Ground owns are the trailers that the packages are moved in and the buildings that everything is housed in. Everything else is owned by the employees.

This is why the Teamsters wants them to be recognized as employees as it opens the door for unionization. That and FedEx has a large surplus in their Pension Fund which would cover Central States and other pensions that aren't in that great of shape these days.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
FedEx has a large surplus in their Pension Fund which would cover Central States and other pensions that aren't in that great of shape these days.

Yeah, well....how long would that money stay in the new pension fund? C'mon....we all know how corrupt the Teamsters Pension management is. That money would either be lost on bad investments within 6 months or embezzeled. -Rocky

helenofcalifornia

Rocky, our pension out here with the Western States is fully funded and not used by the Teamsters at all. The Teamsters in the 70's and 80's ran rough shod with the pension, but have been out of the picture for the most part. So don't believe everything you hear and pass it on as the truth.

govols019

You smell that?
Yeah, well....how long would that money stay in the new pension fund? C'mon....we all know how corrupt the Teamsters Pension management is. That money would either be lost on bad investments within 6 months or embezzeled. -Rocky

You'd think that with the condition that Central States was in that any current Teamster that was caught embezzling pension funds would make headline news. Funny, guess I missed it. Please provide a link to the story.

how corrupt the Teamsters Pension management is
Had you used "was" instead of "is" you might have a point. As it stands you show your ignorance of who actually manages the pension funds.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Why are you still hanging around? Are you not chasing down shoppoing carts at walmart in minnesota now?

Rock you no longer work here, so get a life and move on already!

705red

Browncafe Steward
FedEx Express was organized as an airline and falls under the Railway Labor Act, whereas FedEx Ground was organized as a Common Carrier and falls under the National Labor Relations Act.

Basically if you want to Unionize FedEx Express you have to go to the entire company, whereas FedEx ground, you can go one terminal at a time.

The problem with that is that there is nobody to unionize, keep in mind they are all "Independent Contractors". The only thing that FedEx Ground owns are the trailers that the packages are moved in and the buildings that everything is housed in. Everything else is owned by the employees.

This is why the Teamsters wants them to be recognized as employees as it opens the door for unionization. That and FedEx has a large surplus in their Pension Fund which would cover Central States and other pensions that aren't in that great of shape these days.

I guess the teamsters would only worry about organizing the FedEx employees in the central states region then!

My post was pertaining to finding new contributors to replace retirees, if the teamsters don't organize more members it doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize that the pension system will be depleted.

While were throwing shots at teamster pension plans hows the ups single employer pension plans looking right now?