More incompatibles coming?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by TooTechie, May 8, 2014.

1. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

Heard on the news this morning that Fedex ground is going to start charging not just based on overweight packages but large, long & irregular packages. Apparently they were only charging for overweights and not for irregs.

This is supposed to price them out on some larger packages so I wonder if we're going to start seeing more big stupid stuff.
  2. Future

Future Well-Known Member

I think the big stupid stuff is already here,my resi pkgs are much bigger than my buisness stuff!
  3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Ground is going to start charging dim weight.

We will not see a bump in volume as a result.
  4. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Pretty soon we will all be driving moving vans.
  5. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

Why would you just dismiss the possibility that some shippers could move their shipping to us if the increase made our rates the more cost effective option?
  6. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

We already have oversize, dim weight and additional handling charges. Sounds like fedex is playing catch up.
  7. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I'm not sure I can take many more big boxes. I'm 6'2" 240 and had three boxes I could of napped in today.

On the flip side they sure filled up that p57 quick and made it look like I had more work than I did. Made those first stops of the day and the other 7 hours were smooth sailing.
  8. brown_2000

brown_2000 New Member

I agree my pkgs are getting bigger but what's bad is the post office pkgs they started as smalls but are huge now I wish we had that work back we would have couple more routes in my center now!

Sent using BrownCafe App
  9. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Uh did you read that contract you hopefully voted on?
  10. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Because our rates will not be the more cost effective option.
  11. upschuck

upschuck Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, we beat the PO for anything over 5-10 lbs, or of any size. It is the small light boxes that they crush us on price.
  12. beentheredonethat

beentheredonethat Well-Known Member

Both FDX and UPS charges for Dim weight for pkgs over 3 cubic feet (for ground pkgs). The changes announced by FDX ground is that they will "dim out" pkgs under the 3 cubic foot threshold. Pkgs like diapers for example that are somewhat large but light will be charged additional rates. The question is if UPS follows suit and matches those rate increases, or if we do not and win over that new volume from FDX. This has nothing to do with irregs or what we consider Oversize packages.
  13. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

When I used to buy and sell stuff online the break even point was 8lbs. Under 8 lbs usps ate our lunch.
  14. upschuck

upschuck Well-Known Member

What about size? they don't like big stuff either.
  15. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown