More on the RLA

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
A few years ago, Fred really showed how dirty he'd play on the RLA. If you're an old-timer here, you already know this story, but it might be illuminating for new people.

When Fred bought 777s from Boeing, he put a clause into the contract for the options on additional planes which said that if the RLA language was changed in any way, those options would be canceled. Just by coincidence, there was a move at that time to make unionizing under the RLA much easier.

Since the economy was still sputtering along, Fred immediately had the support of the powerful "Senators from Boeing" (Cantwell and Murray) and Delta and Northwest Airlines, who were also fighting any changes to the RLA (wonder why?).

Mr. Smith will stoop as low as necessary to keep us down. FU, Fred.

FedExRookie

I get what you're saying and it make sense, except for the last part, HR does not hide that a union is not needed.

I had a co worker ask once, and the HR rep responded with "FedEx feels as though a union is not needed, we function well without one, no need to bring something new into something that doesn't need any alterations"

I quoted it but that is not a direct quote, it's been about 3 - 4 years since we had HR group meeting.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
What a total shock and surprise that FedEx would feel as though a union was not "needed".

That's a bit like a bank robber telling the bank teller that he feels as though calling the police won't be "necessary".

- neither one are exactly the appropriate party to be expressing their "need"

MAKAVELI

What a total shock and surprise that FedEx would feel as though a union was not "needed".

That's a bit like a bank robber telling the bank teller that he feels as though calling the police won't be "necessary".
Excellent analogy, since they have been robbing us for years.

dezguy

I get what you're saying and it make sense, except for the last part, HR does not hide that a union is not needed.

I had a co worker ask once, and the HR rep responded with "FedEx feels as though a union is not needed, we function well without one, no need to bring something new into something that doesn't need any alterations"

I quoted it but that is not a direct quote, it's been about 3 - 4 years since we had HR group meeting.

Of course HR says they feel a union is not needed. Without a union, the company can do whatever they want without having to face any recourse.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

HR=Corporate Mouthpiece.