More stupid things HELPERS say.

didyousheetit

Nothing that he said, really.

Years ago, when helper was first instituted here, I was one out of three for test program. Didn't want to but they said I was. OK.

Program was for highly condensed area, send him out with about 10,15 or more stops on two-wheeler with clipboard (yeah, that's how long ago it was). I went on my way and delivered another such amount.

Sent me a former Golden Gloves champ. THIS IS GONNA BE A PIECE OF CAKE (I thot). Big brut of a blonde kid. Nice guy but, sorry, dumber than a box of rocks.

Never could figure out odd or even side of street. Even tried pre-sheeting for him. Couldn't even get that. Pooped out after a couple days. For last days, we just adjusted and I drove to each stop, he delivered, I sorted, drove to next stop, etc. Near the end, I was driving, sorting, delivering, while he panted in back.
I remember 27 years ago when I first had to take a helper. Do you remember the video of how to use a helper? Just like you said drop them off with 15 stops make a loop and come back for them. The older drivers back then just laughed at me and said they're called runners for a reason.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
This is heavy (30lbs+), that is a long walk, STAIRS!!!, and I am hungry (every 2 hours). Now this is my son so I know he was yanking my chain all day. But it is still funny.

UPSGUY72

Today 25 stops into a 321 stop day I told my helper he had to choices one was put his phone away and work or keep using his phone and I would drop him off somewhere.

25 stops later he tells me he needs to use the bathroom

Me - not a problem I'll take you to Dunkin Donuts.

Helper - I'm going to have to go all day I'm aggravated and when I get aggravated I keep having to go to the bathroom.

Me - Why you aggravated

Helper - because you told me I could use my phone.

Me - Well you can't I have 321 stops to get deliver and your phone is getting in the way.

Helper - I don't see what the big deal is...

Me - There isn't a big deal you can't use your phone.

Helper - I don't see what the problem is.

Me - I'll be back

I got out of the car and call the center. My 2 ORS where out on the road. So the Morning clerk tried to solve the problem with him but he told her the same thing I don't see what the big deal is. So I call my center manager and explain the problem to him than I tell him I can do the route faster without the helper he says ok one stop at a time....

I took the helper to Dunkin n Donuts and he got out with all his crap and I went back delivering packages without him. I was under the impression that clerk was going to come out and get him and bring him back to his car in the next town over. Apparently that didn't happen... Maybe one of the people he was texting picked him up.

My center manager calls me back 1 1/2 hours later and says he got a corporate complaint the helper says I touched him and that I swore at him. Then he said you left him at D n D. I said yes it was becoming a hostile work environment and I was under the impression the clerk was going to come get him. He says ok and again repeats one stop at a time and that they try to find me another helper. 3 hrs later I get my new helper the HR girl that did the job better than the helper and now she knows what a helper actually does...

phox1515

Gosh it sounds like you guys got some crappy helpers... I don't think i'm the best helper around but I'm nowhere near any of these guys. I could have gotten a full time job but ups was easier and quicker after coming back from americorps. to put it simply, I had a job within 3 days of being back. I got back on a sat, interviewed on a monday and was hired that afternoon. orientation the next day and started doing helper work that afternoon and been working 5 days a week 3-6 hours a day since. I have never been able to get a job that fast let alone start that soon after getting hired. sadly ups hr screwed up my first weeks pay, something about being a rehire and employee id getting confused or something... took 3 weeks to get 1st weeks pay.

back on topic though, I don't generally complain much, when I do it's over stuff my driver is complaining about too, so it's mutual. I work as long as needed unless I have to start later or end sooner due to transportation options and I get the packages delivered asap. I also needed very little instruction on the diad since I was a rehire (just had to refresh memory from last year).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My center manager calls me back 1 1/2 hours later and says he got a corporate complaint the helper says I touched him and that I swore at him.

Your helper called in a corporate complaint? it would not surprise me if you briefly lost your temper and, at a minimum, swore at him. I do hope you didn't touch him. I am afraid that you will be dealing with this issue for the next few days at least as I don't see it simply going away.

Last edited by a moderator:

UPSGUY72

Your helper called in a corporate complaint? it would not surprise me if you briefly lost your temper and, at a minimum, swore at him. I do hope you didn't touch him. I am afraid that you will be dealing with this issue for the next few days at least as I don't see it simply going away.

Nope didn't loose my temper raised my voice yes pissed off you bet.

Nothing happen today not a thing said besides the center manager for the other center in my building started to joke around and put his hands up and say hey hey. Are District manger office is in are building so if I was going to hear something about it would have been today.

Talked to my Steward and his fill in when he's not there and every buddy agreed I did the right thing by getting rid of the helper before more problems arose. I also cleaned my route of 321 stops and over 450 piece without the piece of crap...

Indecisi0n

Nope didn't loose my temper raised my voice yes pissed off you bet.

Nothing happen today not a thing said besides the center manager for the other center in my building started to joke around and put his hands up and say hey hey. Are District manger office is in are building so if I was going to hear something about it would have been today.

Talked to my Steward and his fill in when he's not there and every buddy agreed I did the right thing by getting rid of the helper before more problems arose. I also cleaned my route of 321 stops and over 450 piece without the piece of crap...
Do 321 once and now 321 will be expected from you from now now.

djkre8r

Our sup told the helpers that we (drivers) would buy them lunch. He thought that was the reason I wouldn't pick him up until 2:00.

GregK

Reading this thread makes me want to become a driver helper. Compared to the helpers you guys are getting, I like to think I would be amazing. I'm a seasonal on the air ramp and I've volunteered to do nearly every job on the ramp, especially the ones that nobody else wants to do (some things they won't let me do) and I talk to other seasonal hires and they don't know how to do anything.
You guys buy your helpers lunch and tip them? I would be extremely grateful and I would work my ass off for that tip.

overflowed

I was on break in a parking lot an watched one of your runners smoke 3 blunts in a row. This was about 10 minutes. When the ups driver picked him up he must've been slow as hell. lol. Free entertainment at lunch is priceless.

My favorite from last year,
helper(2:30pm): what time do you drop me off today?
me: three..?
helper: it's almost three.
me: how long does it take to drive back to your car?
helper: idk
me: six minutes, leave the heavy thinking to me.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Bought my helper lunch every day this week. No thank you. No nothing. Also got one $20.00 tip and gave it to said helper. He needs it more then me for sure. Again no thank you. Trying anything to get the walk pace from the car to house and back to car to be a little speedier. Only $8.50hr. Guess what can I expect.
After the first lunch with not even a thank you....I would've reminded him to pack a lunch for the next day. I don't care how little someone makes an hour.....no excuse for a lack of manners.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Bought my helper lunch every day this week. No thank you. No nothing. Also got one $20.00 tip and gave it to said helper. He needs it more then me for sure. Again no thank you. Trying anything to get the walk pace from the car to house and back to car to be a little speedier. Only $8.50hr. Guess what can I expect.

My helper is also a preloader. His "lunch" was between the end of his shift and the time he met me, usually 9:45-10:30. I gave him $20 for "lunch" and a $50 tip. He was very appreciative of both gestures.

He was a texter but knew to limit that to when we were driving. He quickly put the phone away when we arrived at the next stop and was out the door in a flash. Definitely one of the best helpers I have ever had. I had one of his friends, who also used to work the preload, as a helper a few years ago and he had "warned" him that I like to work very quickly.

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
My helper is also a preloader. His "lunch" was between the end of his shift and the time he met me, usually 9:45-10:30. I gave him $20 for "lunch" and a $50 tip. He was very appreciative of both gestures.

He was a texter but knew to limit that to when we were driving. He quickly put the phone away when we arrived at the next stop and was out the door in a flash. Definitely one of the best helpers I have ever had. I had one of his friends, who also used to work the preload, as a helper a few years ago and he had "warned" him that I like to work very quickly.

My helper (son) was the same way. As long as any helper that work with me has their seltbeat on before me and on the ground waiting for the package when I stop, they can play with their phone. On long driveways I even Facebook, text my wife, check the local news, and check the weather on my phone.

Bad Gas!

UPS gets what they pay for..You can work in a book store for 8.50 an hour..Why bust ass in the cold? Good helpers that run are worth 15 an hour no question..On the other hand, whatever job you sign up for you need to have a good work ethic. It will payoff for you in life because somewhere, sometime you will standout as a difference maker. At UPS you learn to be a difference maker or you will be finding another job..

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
UPS gets what they pay for..You can work in a book store for 8.50 an hour..Why bust ass in the cold? Good helpers that run are worth 15 an hour no question..On the other hand, whatever job you sign up for you need to have a good work ethic. It will payoff for you in life because somewhere, sometime you will standout as a difference maker. At UPS you learn to be a difference maker or you will be finding another job..
friend that. I'll agree helpers should make the starting wage of a PTer...but 15 an hr?? I busted my ass loading trucks for 8.50 an hr....they can deliver packages for the same wage for a few weeks, or take that job at McDonald's.

JackStraw

First day my helper gets in and puts his coffee on the dash. Buckles up, and goes to reach for his coffee. He can't reach it. Takes the shoulder part of the belt off and l e a n s forward to get it. "Dude, the coffee has got to go" LOL