More transformation??

ppHATE

I've been hearing rumblings about further consolidations.. down to 2 regions.. East and West? Tighten up some more districts and reduce maybe 2 or 3? Have you guys heard anything?

I guess we have to pay for the upcoming contract somehow :sad-little:

softshoe

I've been hearing rumblings about further consolidations.. down to 2 regions.. East and West? Tighten up some more districts and reduce maybe 2 or 3? Have you guys heard anything?

I guess we have to pay for the high wages that Management get.

bones

Hearing same thing, my guess, 3 regions to 2, 20 districts to 16, just like last time most reductions will be in staff functions. Don't like seeing jobs cut but can't say it was a bad thing. While many did see a change I don't think employees on front line or our customers saw much of a change.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Hearing same thing, my guess, 3 regions to 2, 20 districts to 16, just like last time most reductions will be in staff functions. Don't like seeing jobs cut but can't say it was a bad thing. While many did see a change I don't think employees on front line or our customers saw much of a change.
:bsbullf:

Returntosender

Are you in UPstates center?

pretzel_man

Nope.... Won't be more consolidations.

In 2013, a huge effort will be underway to integrate TNT. That will be a huge focus.

US operations will continue as is.

At least this is what I'm hearing....

beentheredonethat

I agree with Pretzel, at least for the time being. We had been going with a district or two or three of consolidations per year and a region thrown in here or there. I heard the last round when we severely reduced the number of regions and districts was that corp realized they wanted to jump to final level ASAP and not do the yearly minor consolidations. Although I can easily see that a few more years down the line we reduce a region and go down a few districts too.

ppHATE

In 2013, a huge effort will be underway to integrate TNT. .

I really do not see this TNT deal happening till late 2013. DHL with the backing of Germany is going to make sure the EU ratifies this sale only on terms that makes sense for DHL all under the guise of EU commerce laws. The final result is that we will have overpaid for what at that point will be only the shell of a company. The deal will be ratified though but not on a timetable preferable to UPS.

Nimnim

The Nim
I really do not see this TNT deal happening till late 2013. DHL with the backing of Germany is going to make sure the EU ratifies this sale only on terms that makes sense for DHL all under the guise of EU commerce laws. The final result is that we will have overpaid for what at that point will be only the shell of a company. The deal will be ratified though but not on a timetable preferable to UPS.

That may be but working towards acquisition and the preparation to integrate it into the existing network will still take a good deal of effort. If UPS is serious about it they're not concerned with consolidation with TNT still up in the air.

beentheredonethat

That may be but working towards acquisition and the preparation to integrate it into the existing network will still take a good deal of effort. If UPS is serious about it they're not concerned with consolidation with TNT still up in the air.
Very true, I know of a few friends of mine who are on the TNT integration team. They have been assigned to that team for quite a while now. I see that is draining a lot of resources and will continue to do so for a few years post merger.

sosocal

I have heard the same thing. Two 'regions' but no region offices - the regions will be led out of Atlanta...region folk will backfill positions in districts with the coming onslaught of retirements....just a rumor...but makes perfect sense to kill two birds with one package.

I think it would be great to consolidate even more...let's get it to one region and one district. Then I can count on being in the #1 region and the #1 district. Everyone will be #1 and soon we can hand out participatory trophies as well. Seriously, I can't understand how further reductions in regions or districts will help in the future. So many of my "partners" see very little upward mobility ( or maybe we're not that "talented") and I don't see how further reductions are going to motivate anyone to do better. New mgmt personnel already have virtually no chance at a decent pension, and it won't be long before some of those people will be leading the company. Until we run the company for tomorrow and not for today, we are on a treadmill going nowhere. I am just a lowly supervisor, but I see the writing on the wall if we reduce any more opportunities for our management folks. I want to be motivated and I want everyone to be motivated, but I don't feel it, and I certainly don't see it from anyone. We are like drunks...taking it one day at a time. Please no more consolidation!!! BTW, my prediction: within 10 years, there will be operations managers (though not many) and a whole bunch of supervisors. No more managers and no more division managers. After all, we can just have a conference call in the am...then we all hear it from the horse's mouth.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

And you wonder why hourlies say the things they say.

worldwide

In 2013, a huge effort will be underway to integrate TNT. That will be a huge focus.

US operations will continue as is.

At least this is what I'm hearing....

So now that the TNT integration will not occur, what say you now?

Rumblings still active with a March 1 go date of some consolidations. Many open positions still not being filled. Managament job openings page on UPSers.com no longer available. Any new info on the grapevine?

ppHATE

Rumblings still active with a March 1 go date of some consolidations. Many open positions still not being filled. Managament job openings page on UPSers.com no longer available. Any new info on the grapevine?

I keep hearing the same.

curiousbrain

Granted, my position on the totem pole is ... well, about as low as you can get, but even I heard a snippet about a bit of consolidation the other day. It is interesting, though, that the word "opportunity" was used in the same sentence - I wonder if that is just more of the dangling carrot ... time will tell.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I was in the Corporate office today turning in my retirement paperwork.
I walked the entire Corporate office floor by floor, cube by cube saying goodbye to people I know.
It had been 5 years or so since I had been on the floors and I was shocked by the number of empty cubes.
I estimate 20 - 30% of the cubes were vacant, no name plate and totally empty.

It was obvious that staffing had been reduced in the last few years.

TxRoadDawg

I was in the Corporate office today turning in my retirement paperwork.
I walked the entire Corporate office floor by floor, cube by cube saying goodbye to people I know.
It had been 5 years or so since I had been on the floors and I was shocked by the number of empty cubes.
I estimate 20 - 30% of the cubes were vacant, no name plate and totally empty.

It was obvious that staffing had been reduced in the last few years.

Congrads on gettting out while you can Hoaxster. Least you knew the company before the only focus became maximising earnings per share. Must have been nice to work here at one time...